Any news on the Tattoo 22?

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Any news on the Tattoo 22?

Post by K9Kampers »

miamistyle wrote: I am growing weary of waiting for the :tat22: so I reached out to the Ventura folks. They told me their prototype will be at the Miami Beach Boat show this year.
It's gonna take at least few years for these upstarts to go from paper to prototype to production, working out the bugs in the product and process. Last October Ventura was claiming new boat delivers by mid spring 2017, and now they're still working on the mold.
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

miamistyle wrote:
Now I have a tough choice to make:
1 - buy a ventura 23 and pay too much.
2 - modify my mac 19 with a motor bracket and wheel steering making it somewhat like a tat 22 or ventura 23
3 - wait for the boat I really want the :tat22:
OR......Build your own boat..

Venture/macgregor 23. I seen one here in westen Pa sitting in a barn . Its probably still there. The man has to be 70 by now.
I know it still needs a lot of work. If your interested, this might be a good excuse to call him and BS.
Every time I watch American Pickers I think of this man.. He got tons of junk, boats, bikes and worthless antiques.

So I guess I should give up on the T-22 and a tesla for a few years.
miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle »

Venture/macgregor 23. I seen one here in westen Pa sitting in a barn
I want a boat with wheel steering, not tiller. I also want a boat that can motor close to 20 knots.

A macgregor/ venture , while a cool boat, does not have wheel steering or the ability to put a decent size motor on her. I think doing some serious mods to the Macgregor 19 would be easier than starting from scratch or trying to mod an older boat that was never designed to get up on plane when motoring.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Of course you could just do the obvious and buy a X or a M :D
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Get a 19 :wink:
miamistyle wrote:

Venture/macgregor 23. I seen one here in westen Pa sitting in a barn
I want a boat with wheel steering, not tiller. I also want a boat that can motor close to 20 knots.

A macgregor/ venture , while a cool boat, does not have wheel steering or the ability to put a decent size motor on her. I think doing some serious mods to the Macgregor 19 would be easier than starting from scratch or trying to mod an older boat that was never designed to get up on plane when motoring.
BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

Man, the MacGregor 19 is probably one of the best trailer sailboats ever built - it you have one you really should stick with that boat. It's very fast on a motor, sails easy, goes anywhere (I see them cross the Channel to Catalina all the time) and tows like a dream. The 19 has all kinds of integrated features that the other boats don't have. I think it might win in the class of 'Best All Around Boat under 24 feet'.

If the wheel steering is the issue I would say you might want to add one of those EZ GLIDE steering sticks - that would make it a lot like a boat with a wheel and would be nice for high speed maneuvering under power.

The 19 is a hard boat to beat for overall functionality in the smallest possible size.

Stuff that a 19 can do that I wish MY boat could do:

*It's faster than an X or M with a smaller 40HP motor under power and uses less fuel at 25 miles per hour!
*It fits in a standard garage
*2 piece mast can be stored inside
*the ONLY 19 foot sailboat with an ENCLOSED HEAD!
* has a HUGE mast head rigged foresail
*weighs only 1200 pounds! (or the same as 5 passengers in your car!)
*structurally the strongest mac ever built

What a great boat!

The 19 was the vest value for the money of any sailboat ever made in the world - Roger almost went bankrupt building and selling this boat because of the high quality build and labor he was selling them near cost - if you ever got one new you got one hull of a deal. That's why he made so few of them.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

miamistyle wrote: I am growing weary of waiting for the :tat22:... / ... Now I have a tough choice to make... / ... buy ... / ... modify ... / ...wait for the boat I really want...
If your absolute goal is to own a T22, then you'll have to wait. If your goal is to have a vessel to get on the water and go places, there are many boats that will do that now.

Boats, like houses, motorcycles, airplanes and wives, can all be traded in when a better one comes along.

I know what you mean about wanting what you want. I'm still holding out for a Moller flying car. Not because it's the best over-promised under-delivered one out there, there are better ones being promised, but I've wanted one since first discovering them over forty years ago. That doesn't mean that I won't buy a different flying car in the mean time...
8)

Having owned and sailed a :macx: for over ten years, the wheel helm and high hp OB factors are not must haves for me in considering another trailer sailer.

BOAT makes good points about the M19!
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

We love our X, dont think we would ever consider a smaller boat again after having owned a 20 footer.

I sold the 20 foot JOG boat and regularly go and give him a hand doing this and that on it, I often wonder how we managed with such a small boat and cabin, I suppose its what you get used too.

But if you go to a 26 you like me will probably wonder how you managed in such a small space
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

Any news on the t-22.
I am sure that hurricane Erma may be a factor.
Turning on my compute today, I see hurricane Jose moving Westward.
miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Post by miamistyle »

Luckily Irma was worse for the west coast of Florida. Should not have affected the new Tattoo building at all.

The hurricane center seems sure that Jose will be turning North soon, away from Florida.

Still waiting for news on production timelines on the :tat22:

I will have a nice :mac19: for sale once I have a firm date for delivery of :tat22:
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

last activity Sept 2017
I assume the Tat-2 22 is not in production.
John McDonough
First Officer

Post by John McDonough »

miamistyle wrote:
I will have a nice :mac19: for sale once I have a firm date for delivery of :tat22:
I am now officially a senior citizen (66)
I could be sailing in the cosmos by the time a tat-2 22 is in production,
If you decide to sell your M-19 let me know. I will check thsi site every months for infomation,
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

They seem to be in serious stall mode. No word that I'm aware of.

They did build a hull and someone is paying the bill for the website. Seems like a good time to get production rolling if they are going to.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

The longer it takes the more like vaporware it seems to be becoming, hardly a way to run a thriving, profitable business, communication is everything, leaving people not knowing whats going on is just committing business suicide.

Meanwhile they could of been building and selling the Tatt 26 to keep the wolves from the door, a mature, well respected design with still some value
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Meanwhile they could of been building and selling the Tatt 26 to keep the wolves from the door, a mature, well respected design with still some value
Except the :macm: moulds too far gone to continue using for the :tat26: and new ones were needed, so the effort went into making :tat22: moulds.