Buoyancy calculation?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
warren631
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Buoyancy calculation?

Post by warren631 »

I'm saving up all my empty plastic bottles and then stuff them in any spare spaces I can find. If they don't save me then at least this is good for the environment.

I figure I will need about 19 cubic feet of bottles:

26D weights:
Boat 1650 lbs = 748 Kg
Outboard 120 lbs = 54.4 Kg
5x150 people 750 lbs (with their own buoyancy jackets)
Misc 200 lbs = 90.7 Kg

Australian standard: 1.2 x ((M x K) + F) divided by (1000 minus D)
where:
M = hull and deck weight
K = alum 0.62, GRP 0.375, Steel 0.87
F = weight of machinery and fittings
D = density of buoyancy material (foam approx 35kg/cubic meter).
1.2 = safety factor of 120%

so: 1.2 x ((M x K) + F) / (1000 - D)
1.2 x ((748 x 0.375) + 145 ) / (1000 - 35)
1.2 x (280.5 + 145) / (965)
1.2 x 425.5 / 965
1.2 x 0.441
= 0.53 cu meters
= 18.7 cu ft.
= 150 foam blocks each 12"x6"x3"
= 140 US gallons

Check my calculations above before you rely on them.
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

I don't know how many foam blocks I have or how good they are. So I am thinking of using air mattresses for buoyancy. Each one would displace a lot of water and provide lots of buoyancy - 62 lbs per cubic foot. A queen extra thick in the back and two twins in the sides in front. Also some air cushions. What do you think?
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

Don't these boats already have foam inside?

Ix
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

As I said - I don't know how many foam blocks I have or how good they are.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Oh. Has the boat been butchered? The foam blocks I took out of my v22.2 when I butchered her were in fine shape.
I would recommend reusing the foam instead of throwing it away thinking you'll find something better when putting the boat back together. I used trash bags filled with peanuts. However my dog chewed one bag open, and another one got damaged by stowing an anchor. Personally I don't think plastic bottles are a good alternative. If your boat hasn't been tampered with there is no reason to think the factory foam isn't any good. If you've added a lot of weight, certainly adding foam is a good idea.
Ix
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Ok,

Why are you doing this? :?:
warren631
Engineer

Post by warren631 »

dlandersson - I hate it when my boat sinks and I drown. :P
Ixneigh - Its an old boat 26D and I think most of the foam was thrown out for storage space long ago. What is left is black and shrunken. :)
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

warren631 wrote:dlandersson - I hate it when my boat sinks and I drown. :P
Ixneigh - Its an old boat 26D and I think most of the foam was thrown out for storage space long ago. What is left is black and shrunken. :)
Do you plan on sinking it? Do you do a lot of boating near reefs or rocks? Offshore blue water sailing?

I never understood the comfort of believing your boat won't sink. I've never owned a boat that I didn't expect would sink, so this concept is weird for me. Nor have I ever heard of a Mac capsizing and implementing the floatation.
I'd invest more in a good handheld VHF and good PFDs.

Your water bottle idea is a good one. Why not?
Just rinse them out well and dry them so they don't grow mold and funk. Stuff 'em everywhere. I just wonder if they will rattle around and shift during transit.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

RussMT wrote:
warren631 wrote:dlandersson - I hate it when my boat sinks and I drown. :P
Do you plan on sinking it? Do you do a lot of boating near reefs or rocks? Offshore blue water sailing?

I never understood the comfort of believing your boat won't sink. I've never owned a boat that I didn't expect would sink, so this concept is weird for me. Nor have I ever heard of a Mac capsizing and implementing the floatation.
I'd invest more in a good handheld VHF and good PFDs.

Your water bottle idea is a good one. Why not?
Just rinse them out well and dry them so they don't grow mold and funk. Stuff 'em everywhere. I just wonder if they will rattle around and shift during transit.
Granted, we hope we never have to use the positive buoyancy of our boats, but as a sailing instructor for novice sailors, I do sense a noticeable easing of apprehension when I tell them about the positive buoyancy. And, at 73 y/o, and mostly a fair weather sailor these days, I have to admit I find it comforting, as well. To add that proverbial "extra bit" I have taken three heavy duty Styrofoam coolers and taped them shut and thrown them up under the cockpit where I have just empty space. With the trapped air inside that gives me a block of flotation larger than just the Styrofoam itself and makes use of empty space that would just sit there. I try hard to avoid ever being in an accident and wishing I had done something I could have reasonably accomplished to either prevent or ameliorate the situation. :)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I would of thought there is a bit of space under the front V berth forward of the opening that is used for nothing that you could shove a heap of foam in, however I thing with the X and M models carry that heavy motor, a bit more floatation at the stern could be handy, I mean who uses the last 2 feet just forward of the stern anyway
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

sailboatmike wrote:I would of thought there is a bit of space under the front V berth forward of the opening that is used for nothing that you could shove a heap of foam in, however I thing with the X and M models carry that heavy motor, a bit more floatation at the stern could be handy, I mean who uses the last 2 feet just forward of the stern anyway
My thoughts exactly, mate! That is where I put my Styrofoam coolers. Sure don't want to lose the engine, either! 8)
slugbug
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by slugbug »

My S was pulled off the mooring during a storm with 70 mph winds and wound up on the rocks with huge holes big enough for a small child to crawl through and never sank. In fact it stayed high enough in the water to protect the motor and anything stored above the seats on the inside. The storm was huge and the boat was dashed against a bridge and rip rap on the shore and it stayed together and I was able to haul it out on its trailer and take it home. I loved that boat.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

slugbug wrote:My S was pulled off the mooring during a storm with 70 mph winds and wound up on the rocks with huge holes big enough for a small child to crawl through and never sank. In fact it stayed high enough in the water to protect the motor and anything stored above the seats on the inside. The storm was huge and the boat was dashed against a bridge and rip rap on the shore and it stayed together and I was able to haul it out on its trailer and take it home. I loved that boat.
Wow, what a testimonial. Bravo for your boat. 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

A shot of my added buoyancy via Omaha Steak coolers taped shut.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Ok, this shows a serious issue. I don't recall being invited to help empty those Omaha steak coolers. :?
Herschel wrote:A shot of my added buoyancy via Omaha Steak coolers taped shut.