Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Re: Here We Go Again - February Florida Keys or Bust 2018!

Post by Gazmn »

Thanks guys. You're the greatest :)
It’s Friday & I have to go pick up boat & new trailer. & try to make it back before rush hour.
Last edited by Gazmn on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS »

Greetings Greg, sorry to hear of all your troubles. Glad you made it to the Keys in one piece (well, you at least). just remember that a day in the Keys beats a day anywhere else! I'm planning another Keys excursion for spring of 2019 (trying to go every 3 years), and after dealing with the winds, it will be very late springtime. My plan is to rent a cottage at the Key Lime Sailing Club on Key Largo and day sail my Mac in Card,Buttonwood Sounds and Biscayne Bay. Something to think about. You need to use your new trailer more :P

Jim
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

How was the return trip with the new trailer?
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

Hey Guys :)

Thanks for the inquiries, I just made it home now, 4AM. The new trailer is very nice, Aluminum I Beams & stainless mainly. It's from Sea-Tech Trailers out of Miami. I wrote a great review because they deserved it & reccomend them to anyone considering from here. Tell Raul & Esther, I sent you. A good trailer is an investment in the MacGregor lifestyle. Especially if you do any serious roadwork. My PO bought a good galvanized - but it's time had come :| I instagrammed my trip @ gregparr58 & or gparr58. 2 accounts - who knew :? get the whole story there, for now.

The trailer supports the entire boat & then some.It's about 30' long with 205 /75 R15s - Load C, I'll upgrade to load D's next upgrade. I paid for some extras, like 2 spares. & their spares include a greased hub & spindle :wink: I'll try to get a pic or 10 here eventually. I use them to guide the boat onto the trailer. & they added a front ladder I brought down with me.

BtB, I visited Key Lime Sailing Club. The location's good but they got some Irma cleanup to do still. my wife wasn't impressed. I got my boat into Blackwater Sound for 3 days. I didn't go anywhere, just chilled; pics to follow. I was up by Jimmy Johnson's Restaurant @ Angler's Park. There's a parking lot & ramp 3 stores up from there with $10 a day car & trailer parking. I tolerated the jet skis & power-boaters who don't know how to slow down around anchored boats :x You have to dingy in. I used a paddleboard & stayed behind & farthest out of the anchorage - as I prefer life in skivvies 8)

Note to Self: I MUST Remember: When February Trailering to FLorida- $tay Gulf $ide!! You can always make it to Ocean side - if it's not too windy :wink:

The trailer rides great!! But I was driving into the blustery remnants of Nor'Easter Riley. I even waited 2 nights in NC till it tolerated up North.
Some ButHead [Woman] knocked out my rt brake light in Orlando :evil: :evil: I don't even have plates yet! Sheesh! :|
Thankfully, I supplement my lights on the Capt's seatback.

I gotta tell u Jim, this trip aged me :| It reminded me of the phrase: "Every boxer has a plan - until he gets hit..." Then you find out what ur made of...
I had 3 trips down over the years -" all- no problem, Mon". On this one alone, I got knocked down 4x! & had a standing 8 count when I didn't have my boat. Then a NorEaster & an idiot who can't drive on the return! :x But mostly, I'm Thankful & Grateful... I had a Great time with my family & made memories; No one got hurt - other than my credit card, lol. I listened to some great books on audible during the good times & had some real heart to hearts with God on the difficult times...
& I have good friends here & on FB & Instagram to share the journey with 8)
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

Glad you got back ok! Looks nice a first class trailer maker. I need to have mine gone through by a professional.
Btw tarpin basin is quieter. Better dinghy docks.
Ix
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

Thanks for all the info Alex. Sorry I missed meeting u - again - but I’m sure you understand :)

These are pics of Miss Ollie on her new trailer Sea-Tech was kind enough to place the spares where I wanted. On a revisit. I figured they’d help center the boat when recovering in rougher weather. & they drilled and installed a Ladder I had with me that is now reassigned as a trailer ladder. I Love the trailer, spares & sturdier ladder.

The trailer beds the whole boat & is about 6’ longer in the front. Now I can open my tailgate & the rollerfurling isn’t hanging over the top of my truck. & the anchor isn’t menacing my rear window. All positives, but I had to adjust driving & turning accordingly.

https://flic.kr/p/23S9tMm
https://flic.kr/p/FhM7B6
https://flic.kr/p/23zNqu6

My only complaint after 1300 miles: The wheel covers are too low. & in bouncy traffic the tires have rubbed. I’ll raise them by redrilling in the Spring.

SOME STUPID @$%4 :evil: couldn’t see the 30 foot monstrosity & backed into my trailer & killed the rt tail light :x :x
While filling up in Orlando
https://flic.kr/p/24Tc2Md
https://flic.kr/p/FhQ6pF

& backing up to fit in some spots @ a Super Walmart I damaged my 2 5/16’s ball - which I can’t get out of the receiver :x I intentionally jackknifed - but unintentionally bent my 12” high hitch & ball. Guess that was too much torque :?
https://flic.kr/p/FhNxfn
https://flic.kr/p/24TdMXq

Last edited by Gazmn on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:54 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind »

Nice trailer, do the spare tires help to guide the boat back into the trailer?
Any chance that the hitch is too high and that is why your back tires are rubbing?
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

Sea Wind wrote:Nice trailer, do the spare tires help to guide the boat back into the trailer?
Any chance that the hitch is too high and that is why your back tires are rubbing?
Good questions & nice point.

Yes; the tires are even free rolling - as they have their own hubs & spindles & I've used this kind of dual setup as float on guides as well as backup wheels & hubs for my long road trips.

Re: the hitch being high, idk :?
While I don't think that it's too high, that height provides a lot of torque & leverage. & I've already looked into a much more HD setup. The cover height was the first thing that struck me when I first saw boat on trailer - but I was so excited, I put that point in the background. My bad :|

My fingers/hand can just slide between the tire top & bottom of cover - One man's ceiling is another man's floor :P

That is not enough room & I'm surprised they didn't catch that. But the trailer was probably built to certain specs & fit & it probably wasn't till my fat gurl was put on top of it, that this was found out.
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

I made an album detailing trip for any interested... I'm not interested anymore :P

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmfsdPUQ
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Gazm...I enjoyed reading about the trip and browsing the photos. I was a very sympathetic silent witness to your challenges.

I always tell my friends that trailering a sailboat to exotic places (for me that means somewhere other than the home lake) and spending four or five days on a boat with the family isn't a real vacation at all. Well, it is, for the kids, but not for the parents. For my wife and I it's an adventure, a challenge, and a totally self-reliant change from the ordinary. And it's much better than a "real" vacation, when things go well. But when things go south, it can be a total nightmare.

Time heals all wounds, I hope.

BTW all the stuff on your boat freaks me out, every time I see it.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Gazmn wrote:Image
Wow, I've never seen a ball mount do that! Would you mind posting the manufacturer and load rating? The Curt ball mount I found on etrailer with a similar arrangement (straight up, then out, with stiffener) is rated 10,000 lb gross trailer weight with 1000 lb tongue load. https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Cu ... gJ14vD_BwE

I made my own when I was towing with a minivan, with an angled flat bar to get the ball away from the bumper and rear hatch (receiver was sort of tucked under the bumper), but with 3/4 x 2-1/2" flat bar, it would take a LOT more than an :macx: can put on it to bend it, even using low grade steel. Like 2500 lb minimum, based on vertical load at the ball only.
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

it's an adventure, a challenge, and a totally self-reliant change from the ordinary. And it's much better than a "real" vacation, when things go well. But when things go south, it can be a total nightmare.

Time heals all wounds, I hope.

BTW all the stuff on your boat freaks me out, every time I see it.
Amen on time & the adventure. Re: the stuff - I got a problem :|

Tom -I gotta get in touch with Sea - Tech. & the irony is, I'm very impressed with their kit.

The hitch was mine, & was a backup that I ended up using because 1. It was easy to switch out to a 2 5/16 ball & 2. I theorized my bearings burned out, in part, because my ball height was to low with a heavier duty hitch I used from NY. That I had too much weight on my front torsion axle & wheels.

Anyway,

Thanks Cap'ns :)
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

X2 on the "not a vacation" .... the next person I take with me will have to sign an acknowledgement to verify they understand it's not like going to the Hilton at myrtle and shopping for flip flops and 4 for $10 t-shirts kinda vacation lol me personally I prefer the adventure even if sometimes they are more work than play
Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn »

whgoffrn wrote:X2 on the "not a vacation" .... the next person I take with me will have to sign an acknowledgement to verify they understand it's not like going to the Hilton at myrtle and shopping for flip flops and 4 for $10 t-shirts kinda vacation lol me personally I prefer the adventure even if sometimes they are more work than play

I agree. But I'm putting this here so I can remember next time - & I'm sure there'll be a next time - Just no time soon:

1. Jan - Apr -Gulf side boating, docking & house renting.
2. Has to be more than 2 weeks down.
3. Need to bring Dink & Dink motor [ I have a 10' Porta -bote. Bring it :!: ]
4. Dive gear :?:
5. Plan 3-4 days down & up. I get <10mpg in a 20 gal tank, in my Tahoe. Probably closer to 8mpg, depending on the wind. & There's always wind :|
Which means building in 1 week devoted to safe traveling to & fro.
6. Wife has to come - no flying in or out. Which also means this isn't happening till she retires :( & I can kidnap her
7. The likely hood of 1-6 aligning is slim to none :|
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Can u only go in winter and fall? Keys are great during the summer .... do have to contend with the squalls which can be scary if hit by one but with weather bug and my radar apps and watching it closely turning it on once an hour I've never hit a squall i didn't intend to hit..... alligator reef and sombrero reef are amazing during the summer

I leave at 6am from Charleston wv and make it to Florida city by 11pm ...theres a reasonably priced hotel where u won't get killed there lol ....wake up early before traffic gets going and im in the water by mid day in islamorada by snake creek ..... ramp is gulf side snake creek is 2 miles away .... I sleep on my boat though cause I'm a tightwad lol