Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Washing Cloths in salt water...

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Washing Cloths in salt water...

Postby Sumner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:41 am

whgoffrn wrote:....10 hand operated washing machine and learning how to wash clothes on board using ammonia

I didn't want to mess up the other thread on mods so thought I'd start a new one.

On my other trips I've washed cloths in salt water using Joy Ultra after reading about that some years ago. I put the cloths and the Joy in a bucket and agitate them by hand and let them sit a few hours. Then rinse a time or two with salt water and then a final rinse in just a gallon or so of fresh water. This has always been simple and worked fine.

We will of been out a month now this Wed. and I washed cloths a couple weeks ago like above. Then Dottie has washed cloths twice without doing the fresh water rinse. Washing and rinsing in salt water. I thought the cloths would come out feeling not so good, but they have been fine. The cloths have been everything from underwear to jean shorts and different shirt/blouse fabrics. The thicker fabrics (denim) have felt a little stiffer and the lighter fabrics haven't. So in the future might go back to a fresh water rinse for the heavier fabrics but still they are not bad.

Not sure if the trick is the Joy Ultra or not as that is the only soap I've ever used after reading about it.

One thing is that once underway your cloths don't seem to get as dirty as the do on land working on things. In conclusion I think all that one needs is a bucket, Joy Ultra and salt water in most cases with maybe a fresh water rinse with minimal water for some items.

We retrieve water with a wider mouth bucket that might be 4-5 gallons. I didn't trust the handle to not come off so drilled two holes in the rim where there is reinforcement and ran a 7/16 inch line through the holes with a knot on the inside of both sides and the line is long enough to drop the bucket in the water and retrieve it. I also have a longer line tied to the bucket line and tie it off on the boat so there is no chance of loosing the bucket, especially if we are underway while retrieving water with it,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Washing Cloths in salt water...

Postby ris » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am

Sumner if you get a chance let us know where your are. Is Dottie liking the sailing? We hope your are having a great time.

Richard and Jill
ris
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby whgoffrn » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

Ty may try that as having a water maker opens up a few more options ..... I plan to fill the ballast tank with fresh water also. ...id fill up ballast while on land and use water maker to 100% completely top it off
whgoffrn
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Sumner » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:44 pm

ris wrote:Sumner if you get a chance let us know where your are. Is Dottie liking the sailing? We hope your are having a great time.

Richard and Jill

We've been anchored in Factory Bay at Marco Island for a week now. We started south towards the Keys from here but the transmission is puking out the ATF about as fast as I can put it in. I think the line going from the pump to the bottom of the transmission is broken but cant get to it. Can't get my hand or a mirror to it. But it is coming from that area.

We were about 20 miles south of here when it got bad. Tried to sail back into a strong NW wind and made about 7 miles but as dark approached had to get a tow back in. Thank goodness for tow insurance. Been waiting through these fronts. Gusts in the high 20's at the moments. Looks like an opportunity to sail north this next weekend. Will get towed out into the Gulf and then hope to sail north to Charlotte Harbor and hopefully in but some place there we will get a tow back into the yard. Have to go through the lock and 8 miles of canals at that point. Can't sail that.

I'm going to have to lift the diesel and transmission to see the full extent of the problem. Will probably wait until we return next winter to do that. Tired and want to go home.

Dottie has enjoyed the month on the water even though we have been trapped here. We go off pretty much daily and walk around Marco. We could of been stuck down at Little Shark dealing with bugs for a couple weeks so this is much better :) ,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:29 am

Sumner wrote:
ris wrote:Sumner if you get a chance let us know where your are. Is Dottie liking the sailing? We hope your are having a great time.

Richard and Jill

We've been anchored in Factory Bay at Marco Island for a week now. We started south towards the Keys from here but the transmission is puking out the ATF about as fast as I can put it in. I think the line going from the pump to the bottom of the transmission is broken but cant get to it. Can't get my hand or a mirror to it. But it is coming from that area.

We were about 20 miles south of here when it got bad. Tried to sail back into a strong NW wind and made about 7 miles but as dark approached had to get a tow back in. Thank goodness for tow insurance. Been waiting through these fronts. Gusts in the high 20's at the moments. Looks like an opportunity to sail north this next weekend. Will get towed out into the Gulf and then hope to sail north to Charlotte Harbor and hopefully in but some place there we will get a tow back into the yard. Have to go through the lock and 8 miles of canals at that point. Can't sail that.

I'm going to have to lift the diesel and transmission to see the full extent of the problem. Will probably wait until we return next winter to do that. Tired and want to go home.

Dottie has enjoyed the month on the water even though we have been trapped here. We go off pretty much daily and walk around Marco. We could of been stuck down at Little Shark dealing with bugs for a couple weeks so this is much better :) ,

Sumner
]

My uncle has a house in Marco Island right on the water - lots of canals. So your defiantly on the "west coast", eh Sumner?? Wow, it sounds like that gulf sailing is difficult - are you on the 'Endeavour 37' boat? How fast can that boat go under sail? Pretty fast?
BOAT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Sumner » Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:58 am

BOAT wrote:....My uncle has a house in Marco Island right on the water - lots of canals. So your defiantly on the "west coast", eh Sumner?? Wow, it sounds like that gulf sailing is difficult - are you on the 'Endeavour 37' boat? How fast can that boat go under sail? Pretty fast?

Yes on the Endeavour. I believe that a little over 7 kts is about it. Coming south we were on the ICW mostly until we went out in the Gulf at Ft. Myers, Beach. So have only sailed her about 30 miles so far but have twice that to go to get back up into Charlotte Harbor Bay. When we turned around and were into the wind she sailed a lot closer into the wind than I thought she would and we did make progress into the wind but slow. About 7 miles north in about 4 hours but due to tacking sailed more than that.

In a fairly light wind, around 10 kts, in Charlotte Harbor running under just the Genoa she was running 5 kts. I'll know more by the time we are back to the boatyard,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:15 pm

Sumner wrote:
BOAT wrote:....My uncle has a house in Marco Island right on the water - lots of canals. So your defiantly on the "west coast", eh Sumner?? Wow, it sounds like that gulf sailing is difficult - are you on the 'Endeavour 37' boat? How fast can that boat go under sail? Pretty fast?

Yes on the Endeavour. I believe that a little over 7 kts is about it. Coming south we were on the ICW mostly until we went out in the Gulf at Ft. Myers, Beach. So have only sailed her about 30 miles so far but have twice that to go to get back up into Charlotte Harbor Bay. When we turned around and were into the wind she sailed a lot closer into the wind than I thought she would and we did make progress into the wind but slow. About 7 miles north in about 4 hours but due to tacking sailed more than that.

In a fairly light wind, around 10 kts, in Charlotte Harbor running under just the Genoa she was running 5 kts. I'll know more by the time we are back to the boatyard,

Sumner

Hey - 7 knots - that will outrun the mosquitoes, right?
I remember Fort Meyers - one time we were there in the summer in the van and we stayed in a KOA on Pine Island - I have never seen so many mosquito in my entire life - I went outside the van for 5 minutes to hook up the water and electric and sewer and by the time I got back in the van I had 100 mosquito bites.

The mosquitoes were not as bad on Sugar loaf Key - but in San Marco my uncle has a backyard patio with screens all around it that helps a lot. I can't remember what they call those screened patios, but they work pretty good.

Are there mosquitoes on the water? Or do they stay away from the water? Less mosquito when your out in the boat - right?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Sumner » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Mosquitoes at the yard in the evening, but we are in the boat then. Dottie gets bit bad at the yard by no-see-ums but they don't bother me. Neither of us has had a bite since on the water or here at Marco. This is a high dollar place so bet they spray here.

Only time I ever had mosquitoes was down at Little Shark River in the Everglades where one usually anchors before going across to the Keys. Ruth and I were there and I had bought those bug hats with the nets but never used them. Got up to leave at first light and went out in shorts and a T-shirt. 30 seconds later I was back below putting on long pants, long shirt and the hat with the net. Once out a mile or so problem was gone.

So far on trips on the boat here bugs have never really been a problem but close the boat up at dark,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Postby Ixneigh » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:31 am

When I am in serious cruising mode I have a set of deck clothing I put on for the day. Those don't come down below at days end. I switch to inside clothing. As temperature requires. The outside clothing gets washed in saltwater and rinsed in fresh only if available. I keep those cloths separate if I decide to put them in the dirty cloths bag. I usually wear them for days.
It's important to try to keep the salt out of the boat. Makes life more comfortable. Even while living at anchor in places where I can wash clothing, I am careful to keep salty items out on deck.
However since I live on the boat most of the year, my habits are different than someone who uses the boat for a week of adventuring with family then brings the boat back to their house where they can wash everything off with a hose and use as much water as they need to clean everything. If I was doing that i wouldn't be as picky about salt down below.
Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:42 am

Ixneigh wrote:When I am in serious cruising mode I have a set of deck clothing I put on for the day. Those don't come down below at days end. I switch to inside clothing. As temperature requires. The outside clothing gets washed in saltwater and rinsed in fresh only if available. I keep those cloths separate if I decide to put them in the dirty cloths bag. I usually wear them for days.
It's important to try to keep the salt out of the boat. Makes life more comfortable. Even while living at anchor in places where I can wash clothing, I am careful to keep salty items out on deck.
However since I live on the boat most of the year, my habits are different than someone who uses the boat for a week of adventuring with family then brings the boat back to their house where they can wash everything off with a hose and use as much water as they need to clean everything. If I was doing that i wouldn't be as picky about salt down below.
Ix

Wise words - there is a lot we weekenders can learn from that - - Sumner does a lot of that extended live aboard stuff too and that's why I am always asking him questions about how to do things on a boat like keep dry, stay cool, or get the bugs off of me. All of my sailing has been destination sailing albeit some very far off destinations like Mexico - still - just like Ixneigh says, when I come home I am going to a house or in my case even a motorhome sometimes that I use for the tow vehicle so I have hot water and electric and all that 'stuff' - Of course I know what it's like to come home from a long adventure with a dirty salty boat and a pile of laundry and no food and busted equipment to fix and bills to pay and gas to buy and shopping to do - but I can't imagine what it's like to come back to that and home is the same boat you just arrived in. What - a - mess !

Sometimes after a long trip I am so tired I just park the boat in the side yard and go inside the house and take a long hot shower and just go to bed for a day - I don't even get back to cleaning up the mess until a day later.

You guys that do it live aboard really have the discipline worked out to keep things ship shape 24/7 - we could all learn from that.
BOAT
Admiral

Return to Repairs and Modifications