Dodger/gas tanks

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
slugbug
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Dodger/gas tanks

Post by slugbug »

I’ve been considering getting a dodger for my M. I’ve looked at the BWY model and it doesn’t look wide enough to reduce spray that I get from motoring over 10mph or heading into the wind. I also looked at Dowsar Marine website I liked the wider stance of their dodger but wasn’t sure of price for dodger alone on their website. Finally, I have been using Moeler 12 gallon plastic gas tanks and they are horrible, they expand in the heat and gas vapor leaks from the gasket of the fuel float and the fuel receiver, I get gas condensing and flowing into the cockpit and motor tray. I looked at the metal tanks BWY offers and am seriously thinking of getting one but the $$$$ is high and I wonder for balance if I should get two, any thoughts any either issues? Thanks, Capt.Bob
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Dodger/gas tanks

Post by Russ »

I have the BWY dodger and really like it. I still get lots of spray. I can't imagine the wider one helping much. Maybe others can comment.

I have the 12 gal tanks and they work well. I've heard complaints, but not from me. Maybe replace the gaskets.

--Russ
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

I believe BWY has 2 dodgers, 1 wide and 1 narrow (I have the narrow). I had a 12 gal. moller tank begin to delaminate.They replaced it free tho it was difficult to find contact info.
slugbug
Chief Steward

Post by slugbug »

Thanks for the reply , I have replaced my tanks twice and both times they leaked. The BWY gas tanks are made for the M but cost around $400 each and must be connected to the gas battery to ground them. They hold 17 gallons each and I thought two would balance the boat better. If the BWY dodgers can be wide or narrow does it matter if I might want to add enclosure someday? Do the dodgers lay down for trailering or do you have to remove them? Anyone installed their own dodger? How difficult would it be? Thanks
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

I have a dodger that came with my :macm: It's good for minimizing spray and wind. My frame does not fold, however. I have to totally remove it to trailer. I do like keeping the dodger frame up even when not using the dodger...gives me another handhold.

As for gas tanks, i would love the BWY ones, but that price is just too steep!
slugbug
Chief Steward

Post by slugbug »

So Baha you’re saying the dodger is strong enough to hold you up? Do you know who made it? Is it easy to take off? Would you consider getting any add ones like screens or zip up door?
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Just installed two BWY 17 gallons tanks. Because of the hurricane last year some marinas may not have gas or be open.
Have not used them yet boat trip is in May. I'll report back on this later on.

slugbug
Chief Steward

Post by slugbug »

Tanks look great what was your reason for buying them? Were they hard to install?
Bobglas
First Officer

Post by Bobglas »

I believe only the wide dodger will connect to the full enclosure. Does the BWY tank fit with the seat down?
dxg4848
First Officer

Post by dxg4848 »

slugbug wrote:Finally, I have been using Moeler 12 gallon plastic gas tanks and they are horrible, they expand in the heat and gas vapor leaks from the gasket of the fuel float and the fuel receiver, I get gas condensing and flowing into the cockpit and motor tray.
I have the same tank but use venting tank fuel cap. It looks like regular cap but with little plastic screw in the middle that exposes tiny vent hole when partially unscrewed. I keep my tank venting all the time even during long winter storage. I never have the tank completely full so that fuel wouldn't spill when sailing and heeling.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

dxg4848 wrote:
slugbug wrote:Finally, I have been using Moeler 12 gallon plastic gas tanks and they are horrible, they expand in the heat and gas vapor leaks from the gasket of the fuel float and the fuel receiver, I get gas condensing and flowing into the cockpit and motor tray.
I have the same tank but use venting tank fuel cap. It looks like regular cap but with little plastic screw in the middle that exposes tiny vent hole when partially unscrewed. I keep my tank venting all the time even during long winter storage. I never have the tank completely full so that fuel wouldn't spill when sailing and heeling.
Yeah, I too have gone around the horn on this gas tank thing - I do not like the original moeller tanks at all - they leak if you fill them up and they stink no matter what kind of cap you put on them - the fill gauge float (which does not even work) screws into the top and it vents fumes when the tanks get warm. i do not like the tanks.

I am very interested in the BWY tanks and I am ready to buy them but not if BWY has not taken care of all the problems - I have been waiting for some one to buy the BWY tanks and see if they leak when full as the boat heels. If they do - then I am not interested.

Perhaps some one from BWY can chime in here - if those tanks are guaranteed to not leak when the boat heels and to not let fumes escape I will buy them. Otherwise why replace one problem with a bigger and more expensive problem?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

slugbug wrote:Tanks look great what was your reason for buying them? Were they hard to install?
Jimmy takes his Mac from Puerto Rico, to BVI, and back. It’s easy to imagine that the extra fuel is appreciated.

Ray
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

NiceAft wrote:
slugbug wrote:Tanks look great what was your reason for buying them? Were they hard to install?
Jimmy takes his Mac from Puerto Rico, to BVI, and back. It’s easy to imagine that the extra fuel is appreciated.

Ray
Yeah, Jimmy is totally hard core - he makes the M do incredible things - if Jimmy brings back a good no leak no fumes reports on the tanks in May I am sending in my order to BWY.
Ezra_BWY
Just Enlisted

Post by Ezra_BWY »

Hi there, Ezra from Blue Water Yachts chiming in on a couple of questions here.

In regards to the dodger, for the 26X there are two options, narrow or wide (narrow not compatible with full enclosure, wide is compatible) - but for the 26M that is being discussed here there is just one option, our standard size. We don't recommend trailering with the dodger on, we have quick pins available so you can just pull the pins, fold up the dodger and put it safely in the boat. It's a pretty easy install, you are just applying some sealant and screwing 6 of the little mounting feet into the deck. We make our canvas frames out of aluminum, it works okay as a hand hold but I try not to put much pressure on them when up on deck. I poked around the Dowsar site, it looks like $1,789 for their dodger alone.

The fuel tanks: we've sold about 30 tanks so far, started shipping those out around the beginning of last year, so many of them have weathered a whole season. The plastic tanks and their venting/leaking issue and the lack of direct replacement is a big subject so I won't go too far into that, but I believe that the aluminum tanks solve the problems that the plastic ones had. I've not heard any reports of fuel leakage (for $379 a tank you can bet I would hear about it if one was leaking!) , the caps have a gasket on them and allow only inward venting, meaning that when the fuel is consumed the tanks allow air in so it doesn't create a vacuum. If you live in a very warm climate we recommend disconnecting the fuel fitting at the engine if you're leaving the boat for a while so that any outward pressure from air expansion etc, doesn't push fuel into the engine. That's about the only issue that can come from pressure buildup. The seats do close flush on the aluminum tanks. The grounding kit is not too bad to install, it requires drilling one hole and there's a plastic cap included in the grounding kit that covers that hole right up after you feed the wire through.

I am not on here too often, so give us a call if you have anymore questions - happy to answer.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Thanks Ezra,for your explanations.

Ray