Towels

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Towels

Post by Russ »

The Admiral found these Talii microfiber suede towels on a cruising site. They dry 70% faster than Terri towels and are lightweight and easy to store in small space.

I was skeptical at first. So we tried them at home. They cling to your skin, but dry skin completely. They really soak up water and dry super fast. Amazing things. Dry skin completely.

We got the largest size which seems just right.

Since, I've seen similar towels out there, but can't comment from experience. The Tali Towel have been amazing.

I expect these to work very well on the boat.

--Russ
Baha
First Officer

Re: Towels

Post by Baha »

I am not a tree-hugger but am starting to think twice about plastics and microfibers due to the reported impact on the oceans....thoughts?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I had zero thoughts on this subject. Primarily due to the fact that I had no idea that micro fibers are synthetic, that is until you (Baha) just posted your reply to Russ. I then came across this https://www.greenpeace.org/internationa ... he-oceans/ .

I too am no “tree huger”, but am very aware of our responsibility for our children’s future.

As sailors, we are by choice, low polluters via our choice of water transportation. We should explore how we can expand our clean life choices.

Ray
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Say good by to your polar fleece. CA just just announced proposed legislation to restrict synthetic fabrics that break down or release microfibers during the wash cycle. Not to mention micro beads in cosmetics, waste toner from laser printers 6-9µ toner particles, and the list goes on. The plastic micro particles are now so small they will pass the cellular walls of the lungs and enter the blood stream when inhaled or ingested. One of the major high speed digital press mfg was sued by the employees that ran the high speed digital B&W printers due to inhalation of the toner particles. The particles passed thru their lung walls entered the blood stream and permanently damaged their heart valves.
sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike »

NiceAft wrote:I too am no “tree huger”, but am very aware of our responsibility for our children’s future.

As sailors, we are by choice, low polluters via our choice of water transportation. We should explore how we can expand our clean life choices.

Ray
Says Ray with a 60Hp outboard on the back of his sailboat :D, However unlike those jetski and power boat owners we have a choice how and when to use our motors and also unlike them on the darkside I certainly am not in a hurry to get everywhere just as fast as I possibly can, fishermen always make me laugh, they launch and take off down the channel at full song to get to the fishing spot 2 minutes earlier and then sit there for hours waiting for a fish to bite, seems a bit like a oxymoron :)

But I do agree 100% about looking after our children's future
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

sailboatmike wrote:
NiceAft wrote:I too am no “tree huger”, but am very aware of our responsibility for our children’s future.

Ray
Says Ray with a 60Hp outboard on the back of his sailboat :D, However unlike those jetski and power boat owners we have a choice how and when to use our motors and also unlike them on the darkside I certainly am not in a hurry to get everywhere just as fast as I possibly can, fishermen always make me laugh, they launch and take off down the channel at full song to get to the fishing spot 2 minutes earlier and then sit there for hours waiting for a fish to bite, seems a bit like a oxymoron :)

But I do agree 100% about looking after our children's future
Thanks. :)

A) it’s a fifty HP.
B) if I go through twenty gallons of fuel a year, that’s a lot.
C) The irony of it all is that in order to trailer my wonderfully, very low polluting sailboat, I need a not so fuel efficient SUV to pull it. :o

Ray
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Well I,ll just stick with my cotton towels

Ray ,This one,s for U ! :P

Just sayin That.s All !

J 8)
NiceAft
Admiral

Post by NiceAft »

Highlander wrote:Well I,ll just stick with my cotton towels

Ray ,This one,s for U ! :P

Just sayin That.s All !

J 8)
John, John, John.
Now i’ll have nightmare’s :(
Find a woman John, please :D

I am out of this thread, first I have to soak my computer in bleach.

Ray
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

I love my fleeces, but will probably give them up in the near future. There was a group sailing around Britain, taking water samples as they went and also dissecting various sea life in search of plastics. It was really eye-opening how much they found, both in the water and in the sealife. I know that I am going to do a better job of taking time to pick crap up out of the water. Trash is not bad in the river, but picks up in the Channel, probably because of all the commercial traffic.

Really not trying to go all Sierra Club (does chicken really taste just like California Condor?), but I guess this is my personal hot button issue now....
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Ray
U worry way too much :D :D :D
Where I am now for every guy there,s 10 women , It,s finding one who wants & know,s how to sail that,s the big Issue ! sadly to say on a Mac that is , if u got a 40 ft or bigger doe,s not seem to b an issue , but then they r dock queens !! lol :)
Was on a date on Sun met for a drink after an hour she asked if I,d like another drink I said no I don,t think so ! , then she insisted I take her to my boat & I said no ! then she said well lets keep in touch & I said no I don,t think so, If I feel I,m in need of a psychological assessment I will find my own psychiatrist & book my own appt. thx u very much ! :o :D :D :D :D
I need to change my profile " when I say I,m easy going " That doe,s not mean I,m looking for a control Freak ! :?
Oh Well I,ll keep looking :)

J 8)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Ahh partners like mine are hard to find, loves the boat (she isn't so good at help with maintenance though), loves sailing and tries to help and learn new boating skills every time we are out, I must say it was awesome to hand her the wheel and go and sit on the bow for a while while we were sailing, mind you I did keep a close watch on the wind vane incase she lost concentration and sent us into a gybe. :D
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Highlander wrote:Was on a date on Sun met for a drink after an hour she asked if I,d like another drink I said no I don,t think so ! , then she insisted I take her to my boat & I said no ! then she said well lets keep in touch & I said no I don,t think so, If I feel I,m in need of a psychological assessment I will find my own psychiatrist & book my own appt. thx u very much ! :o :D :D :D :D
I need to change my profile " when I say I,m easy going " That doe,s not mean I,m looking for a control Freak ! :?

J 8)
Maybe she wanted to see your towels. :wink:
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

RussMT wrote:
Highlander wrote:Was on a date on Sun met for a drink after an hour she asked if I,d like another drink I said no I don,t think so ! , then she insisted I take her to my boat & I said no ! then she said well lets keep in touch & I said no I don,t think so, If I feel I,m in need of a psychological assessment I will find my own psychiatrist & book my own appt. thx u very much ! :o :D :D :D :D

J 8)
Maybe she wanted to see your towels. :wink:
Nope I think she was sizing me up for a collar & leash but not the kinky one,s lol :D :D :D

J :P
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

After 2 divorces I feel I speak with some authority on the subject of single women, but not to be accused of being sexist I suppose (however I cannot speak authoritatively) many single men may also fall into the same category.

Many are single for a VERY good reason that may not become apparent when one first meets them, one should tread very carefully, it may not be immediately apparent the reason for them being single, but given the fullness of time will surely rear its head. Good ones are very few and very far between, with a ratio of 10 to 1 I think there may be some hope for Highlander, however should he find one I do dearly hope SHE LOOKS BETTER IN A DRESS THAN HE DOES :D :P
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

sailboatmike wrote:After 2 divorces I feel I speak with some authority on the subject of single women, but not to be accused of being sexist I suppose (however I cannot speak authoritatively) many single men may also fall into the same category.

Many are single for a VERY good reason that may not become apparent when one first meets them, one should tread very carefully, it may not be immediately apparent the reason for them being single, but given the fullness of time will surely rear its head. Good ones are very few and very far between, with a ratio of 10 to 1 I think there may be some hope for Highlander, however should he find one I do dearly hope SHE LOOKS BETTER IN A DRESS THAN HE DOES :D :P
Me Too
I,m not lookin for any Drag Queens ! :o :D :D :D
But I,ll b 69 this yr I try to work out in the gym for 1hr 3-5 times a week then trek 6km with my trekking poles as fast as I can go working up a good sweat , sometimes I over do it & have to take a couple days off to recuperate, I,d say 70% of the guys I see around here 55yr,s old can,t walk across the street without running outa breath ! so a lot of widow,s out here ! the rest r mostly divorced . But the funny thing is back in Ontario I,d say it was almost 50/50 :cry:

J 8)