Questions about Repair Costs

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
jollyroger47
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Questions about Repair Costs

Post by jollyroger47 »

Friends of Macgregorsailors.com,

I may finally be in a situation where I may be able to get my Macgregor 25 hauled out and worked on, with the hopes of fixing her up to get her sold to a rightful owner who will get plenty of use out of her.

Which leaves me with some general questions about the repairs I am considering having done before listing the boat for sale.

Does anyone know (on average) how much it will cost to:

1. Have the keel bolt replaced?
2. Have a complete electrical rewire of the boat?
3. Have the rigging replaced/ renewed on the boat?

I have called around to some local boatyards today to get some estimates but would also like to hear from some current Macgregor owners or previous owners with some knowledge, experience, and opinions on the subject.

Being that there are high costs for a haul out ($225-$350) is it cost beneficial to have any and all of the work done in one place which may cost a total of around $1,250? (based on my guestimations)

Also, I am wondering, If I am hiring someone to do these repairs with the intention of selling the boat how far should I go into fixing her up? Should I only repair the most critical issues (for example the keel bolt and rewire) and just be fair with potential buyers, letting them know about long-term maintenance issues like re-rigging and bottom paint?

When I first got my boat I was all about getting it completely fixed up so that it would be really nice, I could learn to sail on it, and eventually sell it for a decent price. However, now I am at a point where I am running out of steam, and feasible resources for continuing my first sailboat project.

Is it worthwhile to have the repairs done and do my best to get a good return on investment when I decide on what to list and (hopefully) sell my boat for? Or would I be better off selling the boat as is, in need of maintenance, and just be honest with potential buyers when they are looking at the boat?

Any kind well thought out advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jolly
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Re: Questions about Repair Costs

Post by macowneril2015 »

I know a lot of the costs because I have gone through it all recently, to rewire it really depends on what you have and what you want done so specifics would help. Also are you talking about standing rigging or running rigging or both. I know the going rate for rigging work and mast stepping in the Chicago is $120 an hour and for a "mast stepping" and to set up and run all rigging for sails combined is $420. The lowest cost for labor regarding electrical I got was $95 and hour plus materials for an ABYC electrician.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

It sort of depends on the market, but my approach would be to sell it as is, and disclose everything I know to the prospective buyer.

Some repairs and upgrades are going to be a matter of choice, like the wiring. The new owner may want it done a certain way according to their intended uses.

--john
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Sell as is. These are entry level boats and few buyers will pay for your repairs,or even Half for of your repairs.