Repairing keel pivot hole 26x

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Repairing keel pivot hole 26x

Post by Sheppie62 »

Noticed pivot hole on newly aquired 26x keel is ovaled out about 2’’. Pin is in good condition. I haven’t seen any repairs in a search. I’m thinking anchoring epoxy (Simpson structural epoxy). Still figuring out how to add pictures
Sheppie62
First Officer

Re: Repairing keel pivot hole 26x

Post by Sheppie62 »

Copied from other website: Oblong hole - known problem

There was a known problem with a batch of 26X's during 98/99 build when an insufficient amount of strengthening was put around the pivot pin hole.I had the problem on my original centreboard and MacGregor International (UK Dealer) replaced the CB with one they had rebuilt.The cust a hole 3"-4" around the hole and filled it with a hardwood block which as then fibre-glassed into place. Gelcoat applied, fared off to match original and then they antfouled the CB.The CB has performed fine since 1999 and is checked at then of every season for wear on the pin hole but it has held up very well.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Ok I can fill it and make it strong enough, but where does hole go? Anybody have a few measurements?
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

Let's consider physics and Roger Macgregor's design genius before thinking there is a problem.
The hole for the pin should NOT be tight. Play is essential. CB locks tighter than a rock when down and sailing due to sides of CB pinning itself to interior of CB housing. Larger hole hurts nothing and is safe and still 100% effective under sail. The rattle at anchor is part of pleasure of ownership.
http://macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewt ... =8&t=15228
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Wish I could figure out how to post a picture, are there instructions somewhere? The hole was really big 2 1/2 Inches, not 3/4” like in your post , would eventually fall off if left as is, or not go up or down some day. Anyway I have filled with 8 oz of structural epoxy and redrilled hole in best guess spot based on many stainless hanger angles marking each spot. Then drilling where it works for all of them. I drilled hole fairly tight 5/8” , then moved drill around with bit all the way thru to ream edges of hole larger to allow keel to tilt slightly to contact hull and take any pressure off keel hole from side pressure. I think it should work at least for a few years. If not I think some kind of hardwood put in middle part of pivot then epoxied around it would be another option (saw this online).
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

Sheppie62 wrote:Wish I could figure out how to post a picture, are there instructions somewhere?
There is, it is in the FAQ. Here is the easy way:

Go to http://www.tinypic.com and choose a file from your computer to upload and upload it. Then, copy the entire IMG tag in the box under "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards". Paste that in your post where you want the picture.

~Rich
March
Captain

Post by March »

I remember having seen a mod a while ago where the owner inserted a ring on ball-bearings into the pivot hole--which made lifting the centerboard much more easily--and probably reduced the wiggle, too.

I am still considering it.

Anyone remembers that mod?
Capt Smitty
Deckhand

Post by Capt Smitty »

I did this:
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1825
Note that I did not use sealer or adhesive. No leaks years later.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Image Thanks for picture changer thing
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Sheppie62