Ruddercraft rudders for the 26X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Ruddercraft rudders for the 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Has anyone looked at these? Are they any better than the OEM 26X ' -95-99? 8)

https://ruddercraft.com/index.php?route ... order=DESC
Herschel
Admiral

Re: Ruddercraft rudders for the 26X

Post by Herschel »

My 1998 26X came with them when I bought it in 2003. I like them because they bolt into the rudder bracket for trailering, giving good security from accidental falls in transport. In addition, I like that they store upright astern and don't stick out beyond the engine cowling. They have been very functional for me.
The one time I did neglect to raise them before I pulled the trailer out of the water, I was able to repair the tips with standard fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Are those the OEM or the ruddercraft replacements?

They look the same.
Herschel wrote:My 1998 26X came with them when I bought it in 2003. I like them because they bolt into the rudder bracket for trailering, giving good security from accidental falls in transport. In addition, I like that they store upright astern and don't stick out beyond the engine cowling. They have been very functional for me.
The one time I did neglect to raise them before I pulled the trailer out of the water, I was able to repair the tips with standard fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

dlandersson wrote:Are those the OEM or the ruddercraft replacements?

They look the same.
Herschel wrote:My 1998 26X came with them when I bought it in 2003. I like them because they bolt into the rudder bracket for trailering, giving good security from accidental falls in transport. In addition, I like that they store upright astern and don't stick out beyond the engine cowling. They have been very functional for me.
My oversight. I didn't realize they were two different rudders. Sorry. Mine are the OEM.
bwygirl
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by bwygirl »

The 26X have a couple choices for rudders. The HDPE Rudders (from BWY or Ruddercraft) (same price) are a dense plastic material. They are very nice but do add some weight when raising and lowering. This can be overcome by simply moving the hole in the rudder back some to allow for a better angle to raise them by. They should hold up real well. The fiberglass ones are lighter, but they can be damaged a little easier. The fiberglass ones are less expensive too. For me the added weight was a little more noticeable to raise up and hence a little more difficult, it meant that I had to use gloves. Hope this helps. Cheryl
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Are the ones you are talking about for the 95-97 or later? I have the ear;lier, and I did not see anything on the ruddercraft web site for 95-97 rudders except OEM.
bwygirl wrote:The 26X have a couple choices for rudders. The HDPE Rudders (from BWY or Ruddercraft) (same price) are a dense plastic material. They are very nice but do add some weight when raising and lowering. This can be overcome by simply moving the hole in the rudder back some to allow for a better angle to raise them by. They should hold up real well. The fiberglass ones are lighter, but they can be damaged a little easier. The fiberglass ones are less expensive too. For me the added weight was a little more noticeable to raise up and hence a little more difficult, it meant that I had to use gloves. Hope this helps. Cheryl
March
Captain

Post by March »

If the profile is the same for plastic or fiberglass, I would choose fiberglass. Even though they are easily nicked, they are equally easily to patch: the small nicks with Marine Tex and the major ones with resin and fiberglass.
I am still wondering how much more effective the different profiled rudders are?
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)

Post by Hamin' X »

One, or two members of the forum have reported that the Rudder Craft rudder has snapped off in heavy seas. To be fair, we have heard about OEM rudders and brackets also breaking. Rudder Craft was formerly sold under the Idasailor brand, so you might want to search with that term.

~Rich
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Just so we're clear:

I don't need new rudders. I'm only interested if the new rudder would be an improvement over the OEM ones. 8)
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

dlandersson wrote:Just so we're clear:

I don't need new rudders. I'm only interested if the new rudder would be an improvement over the OEM ones. 8)
Perhaps if you indicated in what way "better" you were interested, it would help. Most of the feedback has been about which type rudders are easier to repair if broken or ground down by an unfriendly road or ramp. In that sense, the OEM fiberglass ones would seem easier to repair. As to sailing performance, if they are the same shape, I can't see how the newer rudders would add significantly to the performance of the boat. But only someone who has sailed with both can answer that. I have not. I am sticking with my OEM rudders because I have other things I had rather spend the money on like a newer chart plotter, or a DSC VHF radio, or new interior cushions, or a custom SeaDek carpet for the cabin and cockpit! :)
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Yeah, my OEM rudders are 10+ years old and doing well. Always interested in improvements where practical. 8)
beene wrote:

The larger plastic ones are shorter, but thicker and wider.

My experience with them for several years was:
- they perform better
- but snap easier under load as they are plastic and not as strong as the OEM fiberglass ones

My advice, stick with anything that is fiberglass over plastic, regardless of performance.
Both of my plastic enhanced rudders snapped at the same spot 1 day apart.
My OEM left rudder is 12 years old and going strong.

G
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

dlandersson wrote:Yeah, my OEM rudders are 10+ years old and doing well. Always interested in improvements where practical. 8)
beene wrote:

The larger plastic ones are shorter, but thicker and wider.

My experience with them for several years was:
- they perform better
- but snap easier under load as they are plastic and not as strong as the OEM fiberglass ones

My advice, stick with anything that is fiberglass over plastic, regardless of performance.
Both of my plastic enhanced rudders snapped at the same spot 1 day apart.
My OEM left rudder is 12 years old and going strong.

G
And my OEM rudders are 20 years old and still very good. :D
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

My OEM Rudders r still new in the box 10yrs old been using my Ida sailor rudders since 2008 no issue,s but the first thing I done with the steering was align the rudders they were away out of alignment when I got the boat new & I think thats why some guy,s r havin issue,s breakin rudders

Just sayin That,s All

J 8)
Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 070&type=3,

My 96X is 22 years old with original rudders, she has been broached, blown over, rounded up violently and the rudders are just fine. However, the AL rudder brackets have been way beefed up.

Tried to add a pic from facebook, looks like no luck. :x
beene
Site Admin

Post by beene »

Highlander wrote:My OEM Rudders r still new in the box 10yrs old been using my Ida sailor rudders since 2008 no issue,s but the first thing I done with the steering was align the rudders they were away out of alignment when I got the boat new & I think thats why some guy,s r havin issue,s breakin rudders

Just sayin That,s All

J 8)
In your case, to say you've been "using" your IDA rudders since 2008 is a wee bit misleading.
It might be more helpful to let folks know how many sailing hours have you logged on them.
Some might think you have been sailing with them for 10 years at 12 months each year and logged thousands of hours on them.

When in reality, you might have logged 10 hours of actual sailing time since 2008?

Who knows?

G