Helm Seat Cracking on 2008 26M

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Darrin Stubbs
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Helm Seat Cracking on 2008 26M

Post by Darrin Stubbs »

My helm seat is starting to crack where the corner sits flush with the starboard side cockpit bench. Does anyone have any great suggestions for a fix before it gets out of hand and requires a full replacement.

I do have lots of good pictures of it but I can't figure out how to post them on this forum? It doesn't seem as simple as attaching a pic file?

http://tinypic.com/usermedia.php?uo=NuV ... h4l5k2TGxc

Last edited by Darrin Stubbs on Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
kurz
Admiral

Re: Helm Seat Cracking on 2008 26M

Post by kurz »

My helm seat cracket at the port side. So renew it as long as the side that locks inside the cockpit stays ok.
I fiexed it by glassing it at the side that loocks to the motor. As it is much stronger now it stays ok.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

Have you considered having someone go on a diet? :)
Darrin Stubbs wrote:My helm seat is starting to crack where the corner sits flush with the starboard side cockpit bench. Does anyone have any great suggestions for a fix before it gets out of hand and requires a full replacement.

I do have lots of good pictures of it but I can't figure out how to post them on this forum? It doesn't seem as simple as attaching a pic file?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Darrin,

There are photo storage sites that you can use to store and send photos from. I use tinypics. In tiny pics, you select the photo you wish to show in your posting. Then you select “copy one link” so as to paste it to your MacGregorsailors posting.

Ray
Darrin Stubbs
Just Enlisted

Post by Darrin Stubbs »

dlandersson wrote:Have you considered having someone go on a diet? :)
Darrin Stubbs wrote:My helm seat is starting to crack where the corner sits flush with the starboard side cockpit bench. Does anyone have any great suggestions for a fix before it gets out of hand and requires a full replacement.

lol Funny guy!
Darrin Stubbs
Just Enlisted

Post by Darrin Stubbs »

NiceAft wrote:Darrin,

There are photo storage sites that you can use to store and send photos from. I use tinypics. In tiny pics, you select the photo you wish to show in your posting. Then you select “copy one link” so as to paste it to your MacGregorsailors posting.

Ray

Awesome news Ray! Thank you. I'll give that a try.

Darrin
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Darrin

I'm thinking some fiberglass repair kit would do the job. I'm not an expert and don't know what reinforcement might be required.

Posting photos is easy

on you tinypic account copy the second link with the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards
Then paste it into here.

Like this

Darrin Stubbs
Just Enlisted

Post by Darrin Stubbs »

RussMT wrote:Darrin

I'm thinking some fiberglass repair kit would do the job. I'm not an expert and don't know what reinforcement might be required.

Posting photos is easy

on you tinypic account copy the second link with the IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards
Then paste it into here.

Like this

Ahhhhh...Like this?

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

I did mine last spring...I had thought I had cracked it due to being really clumsy...turned out it had been cracked previously and bondo'ed over (don't do that). It is a really easy fix. Just get some fibre mat..use a couple or three layers worked into the resin, making sure you turn the 2nd on 180 degrees from the first for added strength. Let it dry, sand it, finish it however you want. My seems super-strong now.
Divecoz
Admiral
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Post by Divecoz »

I have caused / allowed damage to the Transom seat by allowing it to slam shut from a fully open position.. That said , its not as apparent as yours is.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Darrin Stubbs wrote:
dlandersson wrote:Have you considered having someone go on a diet? :)

lol Funny guy!
I Hope that,s not in reference to ur last name ! :P , that being said I,m still trying to lose 15# :x but that,s not what,s crackin my helm seat letting it get slammed closed from fully open when the wind gets a hold of it , don,t know how many times it,s almost decapitated me when my heads been down there ! :evil:

J 8)
Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T »

Hello,
Isn't that what the cable is for? Holds the seat down and gets clipped onto the lifeline to hold the seat open.
Darrin Stubbs
Just Enlisted

Post by Darrin Stubbs »

Don T wrote:Hello,
Isn't that what the cable is for? Holds the seat down and gets clipped onto the lifeline to hold the seat open.
Makes sense....Makes good sense...
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

Highlander wrote:...don,t know how many times it,s almost decapitated me when my heads been down there !
Cantcha jus move the location of yer cockpit bar?! Jus sayin'...
8)
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

K9Kampers wrote:
Highlander wrote:...don,t know how many times it,s almost decapitated me when my heads been down there !
Cantcha jus move the location of yer cockpit bar?! Jus sayin'...
8)
Oh boy John, he knows you. :D

Ray