New Radar Arch

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: New Radar Arch

Post by Highlander »

the Raymarine wind instrument will b re-installed in the same poss. shortly it will b approx 2ft higher than the old single arch height
here is a close up of the three leg mounting base on each side of the stern

J 8)
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

As usual,... Nice Job Cap'n 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

So you use a traditional wind sensor, huh, :| I thought you were using an ultrasonic wind sensor. Geeze John, I'm still trailering my boat - I don't have my own dock like you do so I want something with no moving parts so I don't need to remove it every time I trailer the boat.

:( I thought you had an ultrasonic sensor - I can't find anyone to help me with an ultrasonic sensor - :(

I will have that Pegasus wind sensor that is supposed to work on a rotating mast tore off the boat pretty soon - anyone that wants to buy it can have it - name your price. (I would recommend some one who understands electronics might want to use it - because I could not get it to work for more than an hour).
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

This amazingly well-planned and well-executed work and for such a reasonable expense. Interesting and impressive.

Will there be a backstay?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

rsvpasap wrote:This amazingly well-planned and well-executed work and for such a reasonable expense. Interesting and impressive.

Will there be a backstay?
Yes the backstay on it,s traveler which allows the back stay to b adjusted from port to starboard as the mast rotates which keeps a direct aft pull on the mast "not a sideways pull " will b re -installed once I figure out where my VHF, TV, wind, cell ph marine booster antenna,s & radar radome positions r finally decided on so as not to interfere with the backstay movement & 3 solar panels yet to b installed :) along with future dinghy davits :wink:

J 8)
dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer »

Solar panels and future dinghy davits? John, you have to let the rest of us catch up on the mods :!: You should get the boat on a scale...I'd love to know the weight.
billstevens_1999
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Post by billstevens_1999 »

Been looking for this or similar. Someone else has one on a 26S.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

billstevens_1999 wrote:Been looking for this or similar. Someone else has one on a 26S.
Well I,d b interested in seeing some pic,s , I,m kinda held up right now waiting on some s/s brkts being made for me hopefully I,ll b back on track by wed

J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Image Found this wakeboard arch at the metal yard. Will need some adjustment. Hope to make it look like this once done. Will get mounted on sides of boat.Image
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Very nice as I have stern rail seats that was not an option for me to mount in that location

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

finally all done but to clean up the wiring coming down from the arch which I,ll do today as it,s 19C sunny day again
in the above pic from the bow of my boat u can see three small red racing buoys
now if u look to port side of the center cross above u can see where the radar picked them up these r only approx 24" round wide so that,s a remarkably small target

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

still have to install a remote control search light on the center of the antenna bar

row boat race day

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

See the row boat go by on the port side & watch it on the radar screen as it moves away to S/B
View My Video

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Is there anything on there that tells wind direction?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

John,

After all the time and expense in this project, I’m glad your having fun with the new toy :)

Ray