New to the forum the 26M and boating.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New to the forum the 26M and boating.

Post by Russ »

Your PO did some funky stuff with rigging. I'd just replace the headstay. BWY will sell you one pre-cut to the exact size and even upgrade to a heavier gauge. I bought one from Blue Water Yachts and they swagged all the fittings. They ship worldwide.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3117-1m1.htm
Call them and tell them what furler you have.

What is a Johnson bar?
Pinning the forestay is usually a 2 person operation. One pulls the furler down while the other pins it. The mast will bend a bit to allow this pinning process. I have the BWY "quick rig" kit so I guess that means a different pin. It's big and easy to hold.
$6.00
http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3442-100.htm

Shackle? You shouldn't have any shackles on the standing rigging. Sounds like the PO did some clever mods.

Mine is just like this above. No swivel. The track simply rotates on the headstay. Works well. However, I think there were 2 different systems installed on these boats. Ask BWY when you call.

Generally the forestay is fixed and the side stays do the main adjusting. Once you get it "close" you can tighten the forestay for "fine tuning". Once you have it right, you shouldn't need to touch it again. Tightness is up for debate. You should NOT be playing them like a guitar. Tight so they aren't floppy.

You'll love the boat.

Use this forum for a resource. Some mods you might consider if not already present:

Engine quick disconnect
Ladder
VHF radio

In fact, make a post asking for recommendations. Folks love to talk about their favorite mods.

--Russ
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BTW, when I drop my mast, the ONLY thing in the standing rigging I remove is the headstay that is attached to the bow roller. Then the whole business drops down. Lately I also remove the spreaders at the mast so I don't have to dance the rig under the lifelines.

You will figure this out. It's a fairly simple rig.

--Russ
Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack »

RussMT wrote:BTW, when I drop my mast, the ONLY thing in the standing rigging I remove is the headstay that is attached to the bow roller. Then the whole business drops down. Lately I also remove the spreaders at the mast so I don't have to dance the rig under the lifelines.

You will figure this out. It's a fairly simple rig.

--Russ
Thanks Russ already love the boat and a quick disconnect and radio is on the must have list.

Cheers.............Jim
Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack »

Making progress just in time to put her away for the winter.
You can see in the following picture my stay is about 8 inches short. However I now understand how the furler works and it is a simple elegant device. The turn buckle is cranked right down so there is some room to expand. However I now have a Johnson quick release Lever 14-205 (thanks Stingy Sailor youtube)which I'm excited to try tomorrow.

Top of mast normal setup needs safety wire!

Probably going to order a new stay from BWY however there is some options in a town near by with a sail loft and sailboat manufacturer and apparently they will do rigging.

Been reading a bunch of stuff and know I read the length of fore-stay but can't find it any where. Anyone have that number for the 2004 26M :macm:

Cheers........Jim
PS Thanks everybody!
Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack »

Jimmyt wrote:You are correct. There is no swivel on my forestay. The Furler foil spins around the forestay, so the stay does not need to rotate.

I would rig a temporary line to act as a forestay, or use the mast raising system if you have one. Get the mast rake set where you want it, and then adjust your forestay to the correct length if possible. It seems the previous owner has left you some setup issues - not uncommon. If it turns out your forestay is too short, you can get a longer one fabricated. But you need to be working toward the correct mast rake, not simply getting it rigged where it will hook up.

Also, I use the big pin from BWY, in lieu of a Johnson lever. The M rigging is not under much tension to allow mast rotation. I find it pretty easy to pin using the MAST RAISING SYSTEM. Review the manual carefully as you are correcting your setup.

And keep asking questions.

Also, if you can photograph your items of concern, the smart guys will be able to give you better input. I am not the sharpest knife in this drawer.

I can shoot photos of anything you need to see as time permits. My boat is downstairs.

Jim T
Happy Friday Jim!
Could you post a picture of the big Pin from BWY and part number I'd like to see it. I did just buy a JQRL but still curious about THE BIG PIN.

Cheers............Jim MacK
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jim B Mack wrote:Probably going to order a new stay from BWY however there is some options in a town near by with a sail loft and sailboat manufacturer and apparently they will do rigging.

Been reading a bunch of stuff and know I read the length of fore-stay but can't find it any where. Anyone have that number for the 2004 26M :macm:
Either that forestay is shorter than standard, or the hound was moved up the mast, but the standard setup doesn't have that large gap. It looks like someone, maybe the original owner, shortened it to allow a Johnson lever, but it went missing. Or something like that. But don't assume the existing forestay is the standard OEM length, which is what BWY will sell you unless you tell them otherwise.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Notice the different crimps between your forestay and shrouds. Looks like maybe a different forestay has been installed.

Don't have easy access to directly measure my forestay, but from the hound slot to bottom of mast base plate is 23'-8-1/4". This is the center of the radius at the bottom end of the hound slot to the plate on the bottom of the mast - not the plate that pins to the deck.

The Furler pin to hound slot measures 26' - 11". This is the pin that attaches to the anchor roller bracket.

Using these, you should be able to check Tomfoolery's theory that the hound might be higher than normal; and verify whether the Furler and forestay are the standard length or not.

My Genoa drags across the bow pulpit, which looks standard based on the various videos I've seen of the M. Maybe your PO decided to raise the foresail to get it off the pulpit? Anyway, here's a data point to give you a clue to find the right haystack, so you can start looking for the needle.

Before you put it back with the furling drum high, I'd get the group to weigh-in on the idea. When you're in a blow, you have to pull really hard on my Furler to start the Genoa furling. I have had to go on deck in a big wind to hand start the furl. If it wasn't secured directly to the anchor roller bracket, I'm not sure that it would work in heavy weather, as it barely does now.

Disclaimer: I did not buy my boat new, so before buying a forestay, make your own measurements with the rig set to your preference.
Jim B Mack
Deckhand

Post by Jim B Mack »

Awesome Day at the Boat!
Tried the JQRL (Johnson Quick Release Lever) I think its' awesome! I hope!
Pulled mast tight forward with MRS. Seems perfect or at least the best we have been able to do so far.
But! Stopped at the Maitland Valley Marina got a slip for next summer and can use it now if we get some nice days in October and Winter storage indoors. Totally luck dropped by to say hi a slip just became available and somebody decided to store outside so we are in................Holy Cow!

So happy we joined this forum you folks are GREAT! Thanks for all the info I believe we could try a test sail at this point.

Jim and Kate
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Jim B Mack wrote: Image
Take a close look at your furler and furler line. Make sure that when the line it taught, it contacts the middle of the furler drum at right angles. Otherwise, the line will pile up on one end of the drum and jam. If it does line up correctly, that would reinforce the idea that it was set up for the Johnson lever, which would be great for you. 8)

Also, that line looks awfully fat for the drum. Furling line for those is usually 3/16", as you need to wind a good bit onto the drum when unfurling a genoa.

Nice going on the slip, by the way. Going to be a long wait for spring, I'm afraid. :D
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

The day he buys the boat.

The day she buys another boat.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Wait 'till you get the bill. :)

Jim B Mack wrote: So happy we joined this forum you folks are GREAT! Thanks for all the info I believe we could try a test sail at this point.

Jim and Kate
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

BW Yachts & Bill @Boats 4 Sail have been my goto's for years. They know all the models in detail and have the parts competitively priced to back it up. Could you shop it hard? Yes you can. Can you call West Marine and ask questions about a Mac? Never, I'll gladly pay the difference and consider the difference my tech support contract.

Now if someone would build them a 28-29ft trailer sailor to sell I would instantly retire and drag it all over the US to sail!
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

:wink:
1st Sail wrote:BW Yachts & Bill @Boats 4 Sail have been my goto's for years. They know all the models in detail and have the parts competitively priced to back it up. Could you shop it hard? Yes you can. Can you call West Marine and ask questions about a Mac? Never, I'll gladly pay the difference and consider the difference my tech support contract.

Now if someone would build them a 28-29ft trailer sailor to sell I would instantly retire and drag it all over the US to sail!