Changing 26x steering pedestal to 26m style

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Sheppie62
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Changing 26x steering pedestal to 26m style

Post by Sheppie62 »

I think I saw this done before, now cannot find it. Does anybody sell the newer style pedestal? Or has anyone modded the existing pedestal to a post style like early 26m? I really don’t like lack of foot room, makes side seats next to pedestal kinda useless. Also would prefer pedestal higher and further back, so I could raise the rear seat to see over front. Maybe moving pedestal backwards would allow seating 4 in front of pedestal possible? ImageImage
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Changing 26x steering pedestal to 26m style

Post by Tomfoolery »

The obvious major issue is the structural strength and stiffness* of a post-style pedestal and its interface with the cockpit sole. The M-boats don't terminate the main sheet at the pedestal, so the only loads are people hanging on for dear life. :D

*Not the same thing, and only partly related.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Re: Changing 26x steering pedestal to 26m post style

Post by Sheppie62 »

Thanks Tom, yes I didn’t consider the main sail forces. If I were to fabricate an aluminum plate same size as original pedestal footprint, And weld 4” post directly over cable hole into floor. Remote cables could enter on side halfway down. Could gusset bottom and connect top to main sail bracket inside. I am confident I could make it as strong or stronger than existing fiberglass pedestal. Changing position up and back are my main concerns, mainsail connection would get moved, would that matter. Anything else I’m not thinking of? Would steering controls and cable still work shifted backwards, how much is possible, would cable length be an issue?
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

You've seen my sailing? :D

[quote="Tomfoolery"so the only loads are people hanging on for dear life. :D [/quote]
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

dlandersson wrote:You've seen my sailing? :D
Tomfoolery wrote:so the only loads are people hanging on for dear life. :D
I haven't seen yours, but I've sailed with beene, Highlander, and Dreamer, all on M-boats, and I've deduced that that is how it's done on that style boat. :D :wink:

Crikey! (Ross & Gabe), too, but they're far more sane. :|
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I think I saw this done before, now cannot find it. Does anybody sell the newer style pedestal? Or has anyone modded the existing pedestal to a post style like early 26m? I really don’t like lack of foot room, makes side seats next to pedestal kinda useless. Also would prefer pedestal higher and further back, so I could raise the rear seat to see over front. Maybe moving pedestal backwards would allow seating 4 in front of pedestal possible?
I took off the factory 99-02 :macx: pedestal (pre 99 was shorter) Notched the upper corners and squeezed the front and back about 4-5" closer together. Then bolted a plate inside to hold that shape and cut down the black plastic sides to match the smaller footprint.

Then I ordered a 4" aluminum square tube online. I cut it to match the base of the new smaller pedestal and bolted the pedestal to it and it to the floor (2 new and reused 2 old cockpit floor holes) to raise the pedestal 4". I moved it back about 6". As far as I could and still have the cables enter into the pedestal. This opened up about 10-12" of floorspace in front of the pedestal. I also added a 22" steering wheel angled more vertical so the wheel was comfortable to use standing up without bending over.

There is no room for the standard captains seat so I added a "casting seat" to the original seatback as a leaning post. It was comfortable to sit on and see over the bow. Feet rest on the benches. To tie it all together took a flat cockpit floor/deck grate.

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

That above mod is nice , well done

For those who need to know the :macm: cockpit floor under the pedestal is a total of about 1 1/2" thick as seen in this pic

When I went to replace my steering cable as u can see the pipe is jammed full of wiring the only way for me to remove the steer cable was to remove half the wiring weeks of labour not happening or cut all the wiring & install a junction box was not fond of that Idea either so I cut the big nut off the end of the old steer cable & removed it now I have a little mor room for more wires lol
I then drilled a new hole in the cockpit floor

the none skid floor is about 1/4" thick the glassed in plywood subfloor is about 1 1/8" & the inside liner about 3/16" thick all glassed together is just over 1 1/2"

resealed the inside of the hole with resin to seal it then installed & resin in another pipe for the new steer cable
my :macm: is yr 2008
not sure but would imagine the :macx: would b the same strength ?

J 8)
PS I installed an :macm: pedestall & wheel steering on my :mac19:
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Thanks Sea Pup, Highlander, this is great info for me. My 98 26x has like you said a very low pedestal, with the outboard remote control even lower and angled with key underneath. Do you think my original drawing of cutting the pedestal bottom half off ,and installing a post with plates top and bottom (1st picture) is possible. I might even consider angling remaining portion of pedestal so steering wheel is vertical to save space.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Image Image heres my pedestal, I plan on raising engine remote control as high as possible, moving key switch into pedestal. The control arm on remote can be changed position 90 degrees, so I would change so it’s vertical in neutral.
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

Image I have figured out I can raise pedestal 8” up and 8” back with a 4” round post with aluminum plates top and bottom. Rear seat fiberglass structure would get cut at 10” back from front edge, then raised 8” and attached with hinge like picture, but higher. This would allow room for legs while sitting and standing with pedestal moved back. A compartment could be made under new raised seat for storage. Steering wheel would be made vertical also to save room, by cutting pedestal at angle 13 1/2” from top. This would allow 4 people to sit comfortably in front of pedestal and 2 more next to pedestal (as there knees would be under fiberglass portion of pedestal) with only 4” wide post in the way. This is my plan if anybody’s interested.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

is that the lid for ur cockpit pottie :) :P

J 8)
Sheppie62
First Officer

Post by Sheppie62 »

:D that would be very handy. I see your from Victoria, was just there a bit ago. Looking to possibly move to Nanaimo. In Southern California now.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Sheppie62 wrote::D that would be very handy. I see your from Victoria, was just there a bit ago. Looking to possibly move to Nanaimo. In Southern California now.
Well look me up if u r up this way again if I,m home , starscream was here with one of her sons visiting family but unfortunately I was away in Ontario visiting family & friends & sailing with Rocky & Beene , so need to know a head of time !

J 8)
PS was down in San Fran sailing with Geoff On Leon,s 38ft Catalina the three of us had a great time & the weather was great in April 30kts wind last day sailing :D
DownSouth
Chief Steward

Post by DownSouth »

Nice mod, I had seen the pictures somewhere else and admired them inc the flat floor!

But how do you find the smaller outboard?