Summer 2018 Photos

Use this forum to announce, plan, and discuss events, cruises, regattas, shows, sailing destinations, events your club is planning, etc.
Starscream
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Summer 2018 Photos

Post by Starscream »

Every year about this time, when the sailing season in my neck of the woods is about wrapped up for the year, I post some of my favorite summer MacPhotos, and invite others to do so as well.

Here are some of my favorites:

Creatively called "Sandy Beach" in Hudson, Quebec. Anchored in 18" of water, stepped ashore, and walked up a gravel road in the pitch black to a small pub for a late dinner, and spent the night stern-tied to the beach with my 2lb Mantus lunch-hook, and bow-tied to my 13 lb main Mantus. (yes, 2lbs, no chain, and it holds just fine in sand with light wind, in fact when we anchor out to swim I use the 2lb anchor off of the stern and the boat hasn't moved (still use the anchor alarm when I use it though)).

Sailing a beam reach in light wind towards Oka Beach in Oka, Quebec. Yes, that's 3.9 knots on the GPS, going up-current BTW. And 76F water temp, which passed 80F at the beach. Go global warming (no not really). The beach destination is just visible under the jib.

At the Lake Champlain Maritime Museum, on the replica Philadelphia. Not many beaches on Southern Lake Champlain, but lots of things to do. We didn't get to Ticonderoga this year because of weather but are planning our first trip in June next year to cover Westport, Basin Harbor, and Ticonderoga before the summer thunder risk sets in.
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: Summer 2018 Photos

Post by dlandersson »

Very nice 8)
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Very nice... i dont have any pics but here is a video my kids made of our trip to islamorada in july

https://vimeo.com/282436349
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Last summer I gave two of my grandchildren the helm while under power. I’m glad we were on a large lake; they definitely needed the room :D

Ray

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

NiceAft wrote:Last summer I gave two of my grandchildren the helm while under power. I’m glad we were on a large lake; they definitely needed the room :D

Ray

Hate to tell u this Ray ,
But it looks like ur Skipper position could b in jeopardy, u could b demoted to chief cook , sandwich maker , cooky & treats , candy distributor, on duty gran baby sitter , But I know u r more than qualified to take up that position ! :P
looks like u r past the diaper duties so it,s a breeze :D :D :D
these r great memories

J 8)
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Coast Guard Sailing In the BVI.

Much smaller me sailing the BVI's Between St. Thomas and Culebra.

Sunset at anchor at Vieques Island
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Jimmy,

You and David have done this Puerto Rico to BVI trip several times, so I know you have this down to a science, but I have some questions.

(1) How large is that dinghy on your foredeck?
(2) Doesn’t that placement interfere with anchor placement?
(3) How difficult is it to launch or retrieve?
(4) If there is a motor, where do you store it, and how difficult to attach?

Ray
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

San Juan Islands Washington:

Good View of The Space Needle (broke down in Seattle):

Maryhill, WA:

Jeff
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »

One more, Swift Reservoir, Near Mt. St. Helens

Jeff
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Bump...lol...where are all your photos? Here's one of the family playing Clue, at anchor off of Grenadier Island in Ontario's 1000 Island Region. Makes me realize that when we boat-travel, our culinary standards go down the tubes. Easy Food ain't Healthy Food.

Here's one on the way to the islands, parking with the big-rigs.
My 2 lb Mantus lunch-hook is visible in its "launcher" on the stern. I really like this addition, which cost about $100 but is sooo easy to handle.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Arrived Cape Cod. Look, Ma - no mast!

Chatham Beach, a barrier island only accessible by boat. Or swimming, but the sharks would like that just a little too much methinks.

A Bruce knock-off anchor with chain and rope is probably not the best choice for a stern anchor. Heavy, clumsy, and too much (even a small one) for holding the boat bow to the wakes from the channel right in front of it. I figured out why everyone was using super cheap little danforth knockoffs with rope-only rode.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

My granddaughter, and her uncle, my youngest son. Her dad was coaching in the Cape Cod League and couldn't be there that day.

Granddaughter, her Grandmother, and some Tilley wearing chubster hiding behind his Foster Grants in the background who keeps ruining our pictures.

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

Tomfoolery wrote:My granddaughter, and her uncle, my youngest son. Her dad was coaching in the Cape Cod League and couldn't be there that day.

Granddaughter, her Grandmother, and some Tilley wearing chubster hiding behind his Foster Grants in the background who keeps ruining our pictures.

I have that same suit and hat (darn thing won't wear out) and used to spend a couple of weeks for a couple of summers at Chatham in the "90s. I think the suit is from the same time frame. :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

We stay in Brewster, keep the boat on a mooring in Orleans, and spend time on the sand in Brewster or Chatham. It was a nice two weeks, for sure.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

July 2018 flew to Toronto went sailing with Rocky & Geoff , picked up my daughter from Base Borden & we went sailing with rocky

Geoff chasing us down

off the Bluffs Geoff,s boat in center

J 8)