New Radar Arch

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New Radar Arch

Post by K9Kampers »

BOAT wrote:Is there anything on there that tells wind direction?
Yes - there is a primary and two backups that show the wind is blowing thataway <<<
:wink:

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

K9Kampers wrote:
Yes - there is a primary and two backups that show the wind is blowing thataway <<<

John, I need help!

Is the wind direction thingy number 1 in the picture? Or is it number 2,3,4,or 5?

Can I ask questions! :o I need help! :?

I want "stuff" too but I don't know what 'stuff' it is.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

Looks like the primary has a skull and crossbones on it. The secondary's appear to have an eagle and one has an oak leaf on it. The main appears to be on the mast under the spreaders with the others on a back stay or shroud maybe......
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Cmon' guys, really? just tell me - which one of these is supposed to be the wind direction sensor?
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

BOAT,

Is this a quiz, or are you really inquiring? I sure hope it’s a quiz. :D

Ray
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

NiceAft wrote:BOAT,

Is this a quiz, or are you really inquiring? I sure hope it’s a quiz. :D

Ray
I am VERY serious - I ask any of you to identify any instrument on that arch that can tell the DIRECTION of the wind - because from where I am sitting - I just don't see it.

I do NOT see a wind indicator on that arch that can tell WIND DIRECTION.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I agree with you, but the form of your inquiry didn’t indicate your true objective. It appeared more like a quiz. :D You pointed out a radio antenna, wind speed indicator, and a bunch of other non directional equipment.

Why not just ask John :D

Ray
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I did ask John! Just look at my post above! And I think he no answer because he knows there is no wind direction instrument on that arch!

I have been scouring the world for a decent ultrasonic wind direction sensor and so far I have only found a couple of them. I would like to have more choices so I was hoping John could help me, but alas, I do not think John has the answer to my wind direction sensor issues.

:(
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

K9Kampers wrote:

Here is the quote from John that made me think he had a wind DIRECTION sensor on that arch. Obviously, he does NOT - if he did i would be seriously interested in getting one too - I can't find one that looks like any of the ones he has on that arch.
bwygirl
Engineer

Post by bwygirl »

There are two, one is the Canadian wind sock and the other is a flag! Kidding, but they can give you wind direction. I see a wind speed indicator but no electronic wind direction indicators.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

bwygirl wrote:There are two, one is the Canadian wind sock and the other is a flag! Kidding, but they can give you wind direction. I see a wind speed indicator but no electronic wind direction indicators.
You guys are pretty good at all this electronics stuff - are you selling any ultrasonic wind indicators these days?
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

BOAT wrote:
K9Kampers wrote:

Here is the quote from John that made me think he had a wind DIRECTION sensor on that arch. Obviously, he does NOT - if he did i would be seriously interested in getting one too - I can't find one that looks like any of the ones he has on that arch.
BOAT-

That was my quote, not John's. I realize it's easy to confuse us, but we are not the same person.

The skull & crossbones wind direction device to which I was referring as the primary is the same one that I have on my boat, Over Easy. I fly mine on the backstay, which is adequate for the faster white hull.

John however, on his boat The Annihilator, with the hyperfast triple foresail configuration, flies his c&b primary wind direction device at the bow where it is critical for the speeds he sails at. I reason that at top speed, having two secondary wind direction units amidship, the USVI device and the Canadiacan spinner, John can calculate subtle changes of wind direction along the length of his boat.

As to the devices on the aft arch, (left to right), the picklestick, the seagull deterrence emitter, the eggbeater, the solar pizza oven and the Scottish fencing foil, are irrelevant to wind direction function.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:
K9Kampers wrote:

John, I need help!

Is the wind direction thingy number 1 in the picture? Or is it number 2,3,4,or 5?

Can I ask questions! :o I need help! :?

I want "stuff" too but I don't know what 'stuff' it is.
OK here we go LOL
#1 is a Wilson Electronics Multi-band Marine cell ph Antenna
#2 Solar Powered Ultrasonic bird repeller
#3 Raymarine wind i40
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=4870
#4 TV/FM Antenna
#5 4ft s/s whip shakespeare VHF/FM
U forgot #6 that,s the nice Raymarine quantum radome
which compliments my
#7 Raymarine MFD eS Series 9"
http://www.raymarine.com/multifunction- ... es-series/

in the above pic the MFD is mounted on top of my pedestal with one bolt thro the center of the brkt allowing it to b turned to either side, above that the pod which is mounted to my full length pedestal guard u can see my Raymarine auto pilot display on port side & i40 wind display S/B side , not seen is a power on switch for the radome that I decided to add so as it doe,s not drain the batt,s on stand by when not in use

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

power switch for radome

in this pic u can see the pod mounted on the pedestal guard

Swivel brkt notice how I had to notch out the brkt on the right side

Well boat hope that answers ur questions :)

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

NOPE! The link you gave is for the wind display screen head only - nothing on the actual transducer - that transducer you have with the little spinning cups is like nothing I have ever seen - can it tell direction too? I think if it does I would like to have one. I can't seem to find the transducers on the RayMarine website.

##### EDIT #### Correction - I did find something on that wind instrument John has - apparently it's a Ray Marine unit called a "rotovector" or something and IT CAN SENSE WIND DIRECTION!! I don't know how it does it but I am going to find one right now and buy one.

I will let you know how it works if I find one