New Radar Arch

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: New Radar Arch

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:NOPE! The link you gave is for the wind display screen head only - nothing on the actual transducer - that transducer you have with the little spinning cups is like nothing I have ever seen - can it tell direction too? I think if it does I would like to have one. I can't seem to find the transducers on the RayMarine website.

##### EDIT #### Correction - I did find something on that wind instrument John has - apparently it's a Ray Marine unit called a "rotovector" or something and IT CAN SENSE WIND DIRECTION!! I don't know how it does it but I am going to find one right now and buy one.

I will let you know how it works if I find one
for ur info they now have newer ones like i60 & the new i70 maybe check them out but they will cost more $$$
http://www.raymarine.com/display/?id=17721
J 8)
PS when I bought mine I bought it as a package deal u can buy them together :wink: as a package
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

but the one you have is still avail in the package - do you think i should get a better one?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

BOAT wrote:but the one you have is still avail in the package - do you think i should get a better one?
Just make sure it'll talk to ur auto pilot & GPS I know Beene has the RayMarine i60
Go on the raymarine site & check out the difference between the two of them & then u can decide

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Highlander wrote:
BOAT wrote:but the one you have is still avail in the package - do you think i should get a better one?
Just make sure it'll talk to ur auto pilot & GPS I know Beene has the RayMarine i60
Go on the raymarine site & check out the difference between the two of them & then u can decide

J 8)
Okay, so how to you trailer without tearing up the wind speed transducer? Do you remove it to trailer the boat? (I would think the little cups would be spinning pretty fast at 60 miles per hour on the freeway). If I get that wind vane thing like you have should I remove it to trailer? Is it something that can be removed? Does the cable unscrew from it like on the other stuff?

:|
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

I just loosen the set screw on the bottom turn the top down pointing to the bow then attach a rubber band to the pole & then to one cup leg for trailering I pulled my boat all the way to the west coast like that with no issues the cable does not detach from the sensor
J
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Highlander wrote:I just loosen the set screw on the bottom turn the top down pointing to the bow then attach a rubber band to the pole & then to one cup leg for trailering I pulled my boat all the way to the west coast like that with no issues the cable does not detach from the sensor
J
Got it - so I can do the same if I make it so I can release it somehow (maybe I will put a big thumbscrew or something under it so it's easy to loosen and swing down) and then i can just put a little canvas sack over it.

I was looking to go ultrasonic so that I could trailer without doing that but since you have already tested yours for trailering it should work fine. The reason I like yours is because i don't see any tail on it - I still don't see how it tells the direction of the wind without a tail but clearly the specs say it transducers wind direction so that's good enough for me. I assume it's works great in that position for running? Right? (That's when you really need the AP to be the most accurate) and I assume it's passable for pointing (although the pilot does not need real accurate wind data to point). Pointing is mostly a 'sail the heading' deal in my book - wind shifts when pointing only effect my heel angle - no big deal - but when running - that's a big deal - I do not like jibes and I like to sail wing on wing and that requires extreme precision from the pilot.

I like your setup. The radar is the coolest thing.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Boat
The sensor has 3 cups & one of them has a tail on it
J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Highlander wrote:Boat
The sensor has 3 cups & one of them has a tail on it
J 8)
Yeah, I noticed that - I just could not figure out how that tail rotaing around at high speed in the wind can tell direction, but I guess it does cuz I saw one doing in on YOU TUBE - hey, everything on YOU TUBE is true, right?

Anyways, I got the same package as you a panel head, transducer, mounting clamps, and cable for 300 dollars. That's 500 dollars cheaper than the piece of crap "rotating mast" vane I have now. The new one is supposed to be here tomorrow.

Thanks for the help.
Seapup
Captain

Post by Seapup »

I was looking to go ultrasonic
Saw this article the other day, $500 wireless ultrasonic

https://www.panbo.com/calypso-ultrasoni ... -and-more/