Deep Water Automatic Inflatable Life Jacket - $99

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by dlandersson »

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=1

Is this a good deal?
Nauti Nell
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Deep Water Automatic Inflatable Life Jacket - $99

Post by Nauti Nell »

dlandersson wrote:Deep Water Automatic Inflatable Life Jacket - $99

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=1

Is this a good deal?
I bought a couple of the offshore ( https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-mar ... ecordNum=9 ) for the same price or $10 more about a year ago. For saillboating I like the idea of having the D rings to tether me to the boat. WM tends to have 50% off sales a couple of times a year.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

With these self inflating vests, keep in mind that the inflation is not instantaneous. There is a delay of seconds, so, if you happen to fall overboard, and are treading water, while waiting to be picked up, don’t be too startled when there is a sudden inflation, and you now have a size 52 chest. :D

The vest you purchase should also be able to right an unconscious wearer in the water.

Ray
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

I havent bought any of the life vests similar to those the inflatable ones simply because i cant decide which is safer...self inflating or where you have to pull the cord. I have nilled over which one for anout a year and think im going with manual inflation
If a boat capsizes or turns turtle and floats like our boats will and if you have kids or family down below you wont be able to swim down to get them or if it inflates while youre down in the cabin you may get pinnes to bottom as air rises and the boat is floating upside down.
Of course the downside is if you fall overboard and knocked unconcious the self inflating is the way to go. I guess it depends which scenario you think is least likely to happen and buy the opposite vest
I have 2 kids who spend more of their time down below so i imagine that is more likely that i would have to swim down below to get them to the surface then deploy the pfd
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

whgoffrn wrote:II guess it depends which scenario you think is least likely to happen and buy the opposite vest
Well the problem is that is IMPOSSIBLE to know in advance which scenario of an imergency will be the least likely to happen.
If an emegency will happen it will be complet different of what you are thinking now... :evil:
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell »

I had some of the same vacillation regarding self or manual inflating. I went with the self. If I go overboard and am in good shape I can easily undo the buckle shed the jacket and go below to help if needed. If I go over and am unconscious I am probably dead if using the manual. If the boat does go over and I'm in it there is probably a big enough air bubble to grab a breath and help my self and or others. The main consideration, when buying the Mac, was that with the ballast tank full the boat is almost impossible to turn turtle.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

There are so many scenarios of what might unexpectantly cause one to be in the water, that trying to figure out which jacket to purchase may have you not do anything. Nothing is a cure all.

I went for the auto inflating with a “D” ring for a tether. If the scenario presented itself where I needed to submerge in order to rescue someone, I would like to believe that I would remove the vest and attempt rescue as opposed to not doing so, and lamenting that I was wearing an inflated vest.

If trapped below, removing the vest, and allowing its flotation to help you out seems reasonable.

It’s so much easier to figure this out in a non pressured enviornment. Let’s hope that if any of us were unfortunate enough to be in such situations, we would keep our heads, and be able to survive for another day.

Ray

P.S. I have had six self inflating vest for thirteen years. Every few years I replace the bobbin. There is an expense in maintaining these types of PFD’s
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

True its hard to plan for an emergency. I keep thinking of those kids that drown on the mac and how no one could get to them. Plagues my mind with how to avoid it...obviously ballast tank full. Im going to assume that when our boats turn turtle if they do only 2 or 3 feet is still bobbing which prob would leave most of the cabin still submerged making it hard to find an air pocket... or i wonder if its so submerged that while floating it isnt holding any air just styrofoam keeping it barely above the surface in a turtle state. But yeah youre right too much contemplating often leads to no action at all hence i dont own either :-/ i do have shark repellent though lol
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I don't know that it's a great price, but it's a good price at least. Marked-down a lot from a marked-up a lot price. 33 lb of buoyancy is good.

I use an auto-inflatable, with manual lanyard which I think they all have. It has two buckles, which I can do and undo in the dark without looking, so I'm not concerned about not being able to take it off if I need to. But if I get hit in the head by the boom or have a stroke or something, I want the auto-inflate capability.

If you get an auto-inflatable, make sure you can get new bobbins for it at reasonable cost. Obsolete or odd-ball bobbins make rearming expensive, and those bobbins are only good for a few years before they weaken and inflate the vest without being dunked, and then you need a new CO2 canister, too.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Well, I'm embarrassed. I looked at these as being a notch above what I have now, plus they come with a "pocket" for stuff. :D
Tomfoolery wrote:I don't know that it's a great price, but it's a good price at least. Marked-down a lot from a marked-up a lot price. 33 lb of buoyancy is good.

I use an auto-inflatable, with manual lanyard which I think they all have. It has two buckles, which I can do and undo in the dark without looking, so I'm not concerned about not being able to take it off if I need to. But if I get hit in the head by the boom or have a stroke or something, I want the auto-inflate capability.

If you get an auto-inflatable, make sure you can get new bobbins for it at reasonable cost. Obsolete or odd-ball bobbins make rearming expensive, and those bobbins are only good for a few years before they weaken and inflate the vest without being dunked, and then you need a new CO2 canister, too.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I know the referenced drowning has been hashed several times. Hopefully, none of us will be taking out 9 people, several of which were on deck, with no ballast. I'm sure that many of us, however ( myself included), fail to police/secure loose lines. One of the rescuers reportedly spent quite awhile trying to get one of the victims out due to line entanglement. The second victim was so entangled she had to be cut out (according to the account I read).

So, if we eliminate overloading, no ballast, poor crew weight distribution, and boating while drunk, line entanglement is an area that might deserve some consideration. Although our boats won't sink, portions could be partially submerged, enabling a line entanglement drowning. Probably a good idea to carry a knife, and a better idea to police/secure lines.

The admiral and I both wear the self inflating vests, starting at launch. I've paid slightly less than $99 and a bit more for them, depending on whether they were on sale or not. Really enjoy the freedom of movement that these vests offer. I carry about 6 standard vests on board as backup.
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

For line entangelment while down below i keep all my ropes in large 2 gallon clear ziplock bags so i can find which ropes im looking for ... i mostly do that to keep the numerous ropes and extension cords and bungee cords from making 1 big spaghetti ball... but i guess it could serve dual purposes
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Their was an article about inflatable pfd without jock straps in Practical Sailor not good if u got caught in a surfing situation if a boat ran aground
J 8)
apsaunders
Chief Steward

Post by apsaunders »

Academy Sports have Coast Guard approved "automatic inflate" life jackets on Black Friday sale for $59.99. No limit. Normally $90. I got 5.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

Link?
apsaunders wrote:Academy Sports have Coast Guard approved "automatic inflate" life jackets on Black Friday sale for $59.99. No limit. Normally $90. I got 5.