Mac staying all winter in the water...

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Mac staying all winter in the water...

Post by kurz »

Hello

Let's talk what to to when you leave the mac all winter in the water.

Most I worry about the through hull.
But a friend told me not to worry as long as the through hull has no valves. As the tube stays open the water/ice could extend freely in the tube and the through hull even if the lake will freeze. So no danger.

Seems logic so far... ?!
C Buchs
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Mac staying all winter in the water...

Post by C Buchs »

I left mine in the water last winter for the first time. We got some snow, but the water around my boat didn't freeze. We've had some really cold winters where we get some freezing around the shore, but last year wasn't one of those years. I did tilt the motor down, empty all our fresh water, and empty the porta potty. I probably got lucky that it didn't freeze that hard. I'd love to know what everyone else does and any lessons learned.

Jeff
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

The M has only 1 thru hull. With ballast empty it is above the waterline and not an issue. WIth the ballast IN, mine is submerged.

This would be an issue if it froze and broke the hoses. You could plug it also. It only drains the cockpit which will drain water when it reaches the transom.

Years ago (another boat) we left it in the water with a bubbler system that prevented ice. Ice could damage the hull. Scratches etc.

--Russ
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

well it seems that the trough hulls in the :macm: are in different places. With my :macm: it stays all tim e submerged under water. When ballast is empty too. I guess the reason is that the bow is not heavy anymore and comes up a bit, so the back goes down a bit.

Maybe I will close the through hull with ab plug, the hole in the motor well to and fill in some antifreeze to protect my concerns :evil:

Just ask if physically it is true that as long as there is no valve there can not be a risk when freezing becouse the ice will float freely. Will it work so also with the T-fittings to the motor well?

In the first winter I had the :macm: the lake freezed hardly. As I did not know anything as a newbe I did not worry too much... And it survived... By chance?
If not many Macgregors shuld have gone down in the past? Or in the manuel Roger must have written some advice. None did hapen so far I know...
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Did you ever sort out that leak you suspected around the rudder posts?

I would not count on plastic and fiberglass fittings surviving a freeze cycle - even if not confined by valves.

I would blow the line out and plug it if I couldn't get the boat out of the water. Especially if your factory through hull is below water.

Since my house burned, my boat was outside last winter. I shop vac'd the through hull to get the water out of the drain lines. And that was on the trailer... So, you can judge the level of my paranoia when considering my advice. :|
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I would plug the thru hull fitting from the outside. Don't let water get in there.

As you do that, run antifreeze through the drains to fill them. Then plug it.

Then I would plug the motor well drain from the top and not allow water in there. That will keep your lines protected from freezing.

I have little confidence the plastic hose and T would survive a hard freeze. So filling them with antifreeze would be best.

Then maybe put a plastic bag of sand or something in the motor well to displace the air so any water would then be forced over the transom.

Bubbler system to protect the hull.

Can I ask why you don't just pull the boat out? Seems so much safer.

--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Amen Russ!