can I use a 9.9 2 stroke motor on my V21

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
rocketman28
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 21

can I use a 9.9 2 stroke motor on my V21

Post by rocketman28 »

Can I use a 1975 9.9 HP Johnson motor totally re certified by a dealer on my Venture 21? How much should I pay for it?
Rackman
Deckhand

Re: can I use a 9.9 2 stroke motor on my V21

Post by Rackman »

Definitely!
rocketman28
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 21

Post by rocketman28 »

thx for the reply. Is $425 a good price?
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Depends on condition. Listings on line range from $399 to $899 for 2-stroke Johnson 9.9. If in good condition, $425 is probably ok. You might not be stealing it, but price a new one if you want to feel better.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

That sounds like the two-cylinder two-stroke, the twin to the 9.9/15 hp Evinrude. The two hp numbers are because they were the same engine with different carbs and a higher top speed for the 15 hp, but otherwise the same.

You want the long shaft version of that OB. If it's the standard shaft, it might be hard to reach the tiller and gear shift, which is on the side of the engine. I don't think that boat has a notch for the OB, so it has to mount on a bracket and be tall enough to get over the transom coaming.

Looks like this, only white.

Notice the section of lower leg with the three notches at the top; that's an extension piece to make it a "20" shaft". Standard 15" shaft doesn't have that piece. And there was a 25" version, called the Sailmaster or something like that. My old boat in that pic could have used the 25" version, as I kept it low in rough water as the prop would come out of the water when the boat rocked.

Ah, found a web site showing the differences. https://www.leeroysramblings.com/OMC-Co ... shafts.htm

They made a zillion of them, and they're good motors when they're tuned correctly. Kind of busy under the hood, as I recall. But being a two-stroke, with oil mixed with the gas, there's not much maintenance to do other than changing the plugs once in a rare while, and making sure your gas is fresh (use ethanol free if you can get it in your area). Water pump impeller is probably the only real maintenance item besides gear oil in the lower leg. Oh, and crack the bottom plug and see what the gear oil looks like - if it's milky, there water in the gear unit, and the seals (top and bottom) should be changed. Not necessarily easy to do on an old OB if you haven't done it. Starts with a cord, though mine had electric start that I only tried right before I sold it.

Can't tell you much else. Price sounds good if it runs strong. As the Jimmy said above, price a new one to calibrate your brain. It'll make the price sound waaaay better. :wink:
Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 »

9.9 seems a little overkill. We had V-21 with a Merc 4 hp which was plenty and would push the boat at hull speed. Even used it on our V-222. 7.5 would be more than enough. Have Honda 7.5 on Freedom V-25. 4 cycle if you don't have to mix gas and oil in the tank. As I always preach, three things to remember on a sailboat. WEIGHT, WEIGHT and WEIGHT!!! Especially on the stern. Fair winds and full sails...Old Salt
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Post by topcat0399 »

I'm with Freedom.

I have essentially the same motor - only its a 1978 Evinrude 15 Long Shaft 'lectric start.

I certainly don't need 15 horse and I definitely no longer want a hundred pound motor.
I have to lift it around all of the time.

I've been eyeing up an extra long shaft 6 HP Tohatsu, they are cheap, light and 4 stroke...
Rackman
Deckhand

Post by Rackman »

9.9 might be a little overkill, but it will work. I've used everything from a 6hp Tohatsu to a 15hp Evenrude including the 7.5hp Honda that I think everyone had at some point. Didn't really notice a difference from one to the other. The four strokes definitely burned less fuel! I think my 7.5 Honda was about the same weight as the 15 because it was a four stroke and the 15 was two stroke. I'm say use whatever you have.