Lug bolts - oem steel trailer 26S

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Lug bolts - oem steel trailer 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Has anyone replaced the lug bolts on their classic steel trailer? Mine has the drum brakes, so they may be a little longer than some. Dors anyone know what size they are, before I go beat one out of the wheel?
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Lug bolts - oem steel trailer 26S

Post by K9Kampers »

I posted about it 12 years ago, and found it in the archives, however, did not mention the size. I took a broken one and shopped every marine, auto, and trailer store along a route. It took me fifteen stores before finding one with what I needed!

My advice is to start with the last place on your list - it might save you some time! :D
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I don't know what size they are, but I do know BWY sells replacements for the original 26S trailer drums for $2 each.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/9510-1v0.htm

I seem to recall there was something a little odd about them, from posts on this site, but don't recall what was different. The size of the knurling maybe.

Without measuring, you're assuming the studs and drums on your trailer are original, which is not a given considering how old it is now.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Thanks for the help! I’ll check it out on BWY website...
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt »

Are your hubs and bearings in good enough shape to justify stud replacement, or would you be better off with new loaded hub(s)? if you have drum brakes, you will be in pretty deep to get a stud replaced. Might consider doing the whole deal while you're there - if you haven't done hubs and bearings in awhile. Especially if you do a lot of towing and/or distance towing. In case you didn't have enough to do already... :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

If you do go for new hubs and drums, be aware that they may not have double-lipped seals, which you really want for a boat trailer. I used to change the bearings on one of my two axles every spring after the bearings rusted over the winter, until I ordered double-lip seals from etrailer. Three seasons so far and counting.

The auto parts store bearing and seal sets had single-lip seals, which are fine for keeping grease in, but without the outward facing second lip, water would sneak in pretty easily (it would seem) when dunked, even with Bearing Buddies.