Line Locker

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
DHK79
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Line Locker

Post by DHK79 »

I bought a 2000 26X back in November and have spent much of this winter getting it back in a sea worthy state. Many of the modifications/repairs I made are things that were suggested on this forum and for that I'd like to thank all the other contributors. As a small repayment, here is one mod that I have not seen mentioned anywhere:

I'm ex-Navy and one thing I've always hated is to look down into a hold or locker and see a rat's nest of lines. Even when coiled and piled on top of each other they tend to intermingle and tangle. So I took some bungee lash hooks and mounted a bunch of them in line on the bulkhead aft of the stove (I personally feel this is a mostly useless place to actually sit, but it could still be used so if you wanted). I used about a foot of 1/4" shock cord on each and mounted them to the bulkhead (liner only) with a dab of silicone and a couple of short SS screws.

The end result is all of my lines are stored neatly and it is easy to snag just the one you need without anything getting tangled. I even added a small wisk broom and dustpan on one of the hooks. Now if I were to get really anal, I'd add neat little labels for all the landlubbers visiting my boat. :D This photo is actually an in progress shot which also shows some of my as yet uncompleted rewiring along with various construction trash sitting behind the stove.

Doug (DHK79) :macx:
JamieJune

Re: Line Locker

Post by JamieJune »

Wow! Very nice mod that I will copy for sure.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

JamieJune wrote:Wow! Very nice mod that I will copy for sure.

+1
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I wonder why it took three years and eight months to grab our attention? :?

Ray
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

NiceAft wrote:I wonder why it took three years and eight months to grab our attention? :?
Ray
That is kinda weird ... Looks like the original post was a "message in a bottle" :D
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

:D Good one :!:

Ray

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

Neo wrote:That is kinda weird ... Looks like the original post was a "message in a bottle" :D

--Russ
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Well, I'm not sure he'll see you answers, either....
DHK79 Last visited: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 pm
Hopefully he's off sailing and nothing ill has befallen him.