Ruddercraft foil vs

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Ruddercraft foil vs

Post by Ixneigh »

When I got my wood rudder blanks from that guy in TX, I just a tad dismayed that the foil section didn't match the plastic rudder blade I had sent to him to copy. The thickness was carried farther aft on the wood blanks. I chocked it up to the idea that you are only getting so much work out of someone charging a very reasonable 150 per rudder, out of solid oak at that. I didnt call him back to mention it, nor did I get out my plane and try to do anything with them. I finished the blanks and shipped them.
On sailing, they appear to offer slightly better low speed control, and no noticable loss of speed.
Am i just imagining things or is the Naca foil maybe not the optimal after all for things going less than 20 knots?

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Re: Ruddercraft foil vs

Post by Ixneigh »

Took the boat out today with just a main in very light airs. 3-5 knots maybe. Had no problem steering with the barest way on, perhaps a knot or two. Boat handled better than she ever had before in these conditions, which I have shied away from because of unreliable helm. By the end of the day I was sailing her like I used to sail my 23 foot keelboat. Perfectly lovely. I would ghost her through the other anchored boats with little concern. Her large rudder would respond with very little way on. I sorely missed that with the mac. But now I have it, and my appreciation of the mac has gone up a good notch.
The next test will need some breeze. My boat seemed to get a little squirrely around 6-6.5 knots. Im curious how the new rudders will handle that.

Ix
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Any chance of some pictures of your new rudders Ixneigh?
jimmy alonso
Engineer

Post by jimmy alonso »

Sounds encouraging and at a good price too.
Waiting for report on a downwind run with following seas.

Like the part of ghosting through the anchorage :)
whgoffrn
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by whgoffrn »

Ive got jo woodworks rudders as well and ive had mine out in the keys in some nasty squalls... my boat still rounded up but its cause it heeled over 45 degrees ish which is what the boat is intended to do...i never noticed a handling difference in mine but its maybe because i had mine cut exactly to stock specs just wanted stronger rudder
Had some good following seas as well but not sure a squall is what snaps our rudders is those long 5 or 8 or 12 hour crossings with decent size folliwing seas that put the repetitious stress on the brackets bolts and rudders most squalls only last 30 to 45 mins
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I'll try to post photos.

I'll be more comfortable carrying sail downwind since the running backs are installed.

Is the foil the exact same on your rudders as the plastic ruddercraft rudders? My boats ghosting steering was night and day. And I sail like that often since it allows me to poke into unknown areas nice and slow.

Its worth noting that I covered mine with fiberglass, slighting adding thickness. Half inch total thickness increase to the blade.
The handling with the OEM rudders was not that great. Could the section have been too thin for the speeds a mac can realistically achieve?

Ix
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Ixneigh wrote:Could the section have been too thin for the speeds a mac can realistically achieve?
That's an interesting question Ix.... How is something like that calculated? .... And kinda on that subject what's the theoretical maximum speed of a 26M under sail? ... and why?
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I'd say 9 knots is tops. And that is running in a lot of wind. Average speeds are in the 4 to 6 know range. Those lower speeds dont really need or benefit from thin foils.
Yesterday I spent the afternoon on a reach, under main. Average 3.5 knots with the board half down. I noticed much less improvement in tacking because the boat stalls as soon as the sail starts to flap. It's always been a challenge. Sheeting the main in really tight helps. As does having a Jib up. With no board down, she still wont come about without a small jib up to help. However. The new rudders seem harder to stall like when you need to fall off and sometimes the wheels hard over and ths rudders are just plowing water but not really steering.
More sailing today :)
Ix