Post by Syoungs7 »

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced in-hull transducer and
show the exact location to install it?
Spector
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: In-hull transducer

Post by Spector »

Terminology might be confusing here but if you meant a transducer that requires a hole, I would do rather go with a transducer that shoots thru the hull

I have one of these mounted on the transom. http://www.hawkeyeelectronics.com/depthtrax/ The plastic bracket keeps breaking so I am moving it inside this year. Placement should be tested in your boat before committing to a location.

Video here on testing and gluing one in http://youtu.be/22SzRXa21hg
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

I agree with Spector above. Who wants to cut a hole in the bottom of the boat. Especially a water ballasted boat (where to).

I've installed plenty of transducers with clear silicone caulk to the inside of the hull. Works great and you can cut it off if it doesn't work. Probably doesn't need to be clear, but clear lets you spot air bubbles (which I hear are bad).

--Russ
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Agreed as above. Thru hull transducers are a common failure point and have sunk many boats. A friend did just that this summer, Mayday call to USCG, engine submerged, portable gas pumps, and a long tow back to port. As mentioned above for thru hull readings or a transom mount are best as most TM will have a more accurate paddle wheel speed reading.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Not certain about the 26M/Tattoo boat, but in terms of the 26X, I looked into installing a thru hull transducer and the conclusion was negative. I talked with Todd at BWY about the best place to install one, and he said there's really no good place for one on the X. The problem involves water ballast tanks and the liner configuration of the hull, which results in double layers and air gaps in most places on the hull. The only places where this doesn't become a factor are in places where the hull curves up. You need single thickness fiberglass, and where the hull starts curving up you end up aiming the transducer at too much of an angle. You want it pointing straight down. Maybe someone has had success with one, but I concluded that stern mount and being careful around it is the best option. I've had mine in service for 17 years without damaging it.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

I also have a transom mount. It also has a water temp sensor, so that's a nice plus for the Chartplotter.

--Russ
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

what do i need to do? draw a map??
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Chinook wrote:Not certain about the 26M/Tattoo boat, but in terms of the 26X, I looked into installing a thru hull transducer and the conclusion was negative. I talked with Todd at BWY about the best place to install one, and he said there's really no good place for one on the X. The problem involves water ballast tanks and the liner configuration of the hull, which results in double layers and air gaps in most places on the hull. The only places where this doesn't become a factor are in places where the hull curves up. You need single thickness fiberglass, and where the hull starts curving up you end up aiming the transducer at too much of an angle. You want it pointing straight down. Maybe someone has had success with one, but I concluded that stern mount and being careful around it is the best option. I've had mine in service for 17 years without damaging it.
Mine is mounted on the stern, on a bracket, and it works just fine. And I agree - I don't know where you could put one in the hull of an :macx: , unless you can mount it inside the hull near the galley table and angle it (relative to the hull) so it's aimed straight downward. But I don't know if the off-level hull will mess with the ability of the level transducer to get an accurate picture, even when coupled by silicone or grease or whatever.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Really?? Just look at the picture people! The transducer comes with a sloped mounting well and all you need to do (on a M boat or a TATTOO) is mount it outside of the ballast rails that run the length of the boat - everything outside of those ballast rails is unobstructed clear hull bottom - and IT WORKS GREAT - I can see EVERYTHING including bottom details and even little fishys swimming by at 2000 feet!
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

BOAT wrote:Really?? Just look at the picture people!
Ummm, it was just a question. I can't see the details very well in that picture.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Syoungs7 wrote:Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced in-hull transducer and
show the exact location to install it?
o m g . . . CLICK on the picture and it will expand to it's full size!! You folks know how to work this site, right?? The site shrinks down pictures so they fit here in these posts! - what your seeing when you look in the post here is NOT the picture - it's a THUMBNAIL - you guys know what thumbnail pictures are, right? They are just tiny representations of the real picture - you need to click on the thumbnails to see the real picture - I thought you guys knew that.

Sorry, I guess I'm just a little stressed out today - you guys know how mentally challenged I am - I am having one of those days. Anyways - if you OPEN THE PICTURE by clicking on it it will show you all the details you need to mount an in hull transducer. Hopefully I will be in a better mood later today.

CLICK on the picture below to see the entire real picture in it's actual size!
V V V V V

Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

Thanks for posting this topic. I installed an hawkeye and it was not easy in the pedestal so was disappointed when I tried it out and failed. Of course I finally figured out I mounted the transducer over the ballast inside the hull on the :macm: . I also used epoxy so have to get a new transducer since I won’t be able to that one off. My Lowrance has a similar mount as BOAT's but it is also intermittent.
wakataka
Chief Steward

Post by wakataka »

I bought a wax toilet bowl ring from hardware store, put down a big blob of wax on the hull under the dinette, and bedded the transducer in it. It works just fine. You've got to be sure there are no bubbles in the wax and that the section of hull you chose is beyond the edge of the ballast tank. The nice thing about this method is that if it doesn't work in the first location you chose, you can just scrape up the wax and try a different location. I would prefer to have it mounted far up in the bow but my transducer cable wasn't long enough.