Narrow Dodger

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Narrow Dodger

Post by kurz »

Well I use a bimini made of Sunbrella. When raining I first was happy to use it for some protection. But after some minutes water came through the sunbrella so it was worse than without the bimini open.
Becouce of this I have the idea of waterproof...
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Interesting.

I wonder if others have experienced your problem.

Ray
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

My Sumbrella enclosure lasted approx 32 months over an 9 yr period summer use only before it started leaking then gave it a good wash let it dry & spray it with a sumbrella water proof coating I bought from W/M been good now for a 1 1/2 yrs on the water exclusive

J 8)
nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by nedmiller »

Sunbrella doesn’t retain its water repellency forever. When you notice it no longer repels water properly, Sunbrella recommends you restore it’s water repellent properties by using 303 Fabric Guard, Upholstery Protector, Water and Stain Repellent.
rsvpasap
Engineer

Post by rsvpasap »

Some folks here in the PNW use Stamoid or a similar product rather than Sunbrella. I assume this maximizes protection from the rain/snow.

Good summary and comparison of options: http://www.canvas-fabrics.com/Stamoid-Vinyl/index.htm

Considering Stamoid rather than a hard dodger and companionway doors. Also considering replicating my existing Sunbrella dodger as a hard dodger and covering it with Sunbrella or Stamoid as camouflage so it matches the existing enclosure.

My dodger and bimini have been up continuously for a year and a half (every moment except I drop the bimini when sailing). I apply a coat of 303 Fabric Guard every few weeks and its holding up ok.

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

With all line led aft we seldom go top side from the cockpit. When we do we often go thru the forward hatch. Dowsar makes a wide dodger for the M. I wish BWY did as well. I would prefer a wide dodger for additional wind and spray protection.
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

BWY just calls their large dodger a Canvas Dodger for the M.
http://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/136.htm
I think it is similar in size to Dowser, but has fewer features.
Bobby T.-26X #4767
Captain

Post by Bobby T.-26X #4767 »

Here's my BWY wide Dodger
Works great in the Pacific to keep crew warm while cruising at 18 knots

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Regarding comment from the original post about having to go with the narrow dodger because of previous owner mods, I do recall seeing an X with a narrow dodger, where the owner had a pair of deflector wings sewn onto each side of the dodger. He was looking for a bit more protection from spray when underway, and he said it worked great.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Chinook wrote:Regarding comment from the original post about having to go with the narrow dodger because of previous owner mods, I do recall seeing an X with a narrow dodger, where the owner had a pair of deflector wings sewn onto each side of the dodger. He was looking for a bit more protection from spray when underway, and he said it worked great.
Now that sounds like an interesting solution for the guy,s who already have the small dodger & want a little more protection when needed . On my Dowsar Dodger because the rear frame is mounted inside of the winches the wings on each end can b folded inside to make it a narrow dodger when required that,s a nice feature gives u the best of both worlds while out here on the NWP it was 18C the last two days & 20C today :)
Doe,s any one have pic,s of this Mod I,m sure a lot of guy,s would like to see them !

J 8)
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

I pulled the trigger and ordered the Narrow dodger, (small dodger), from Bluewater Yachts. It arrived Saturday. The dodger itself is high-quality Sunbrella and the stitching and materials quality is excellent. The instructions were sparse, and we received no diagram or photo, so there was no clear indication of where the frame legs are supposed to be or be tightened along the adjoining frame and leg. BWY are great about giving phone advice but it was Father’s Day. We finally came up with an arrangement that worked but the lower edge is not tightly against the cabin top, but it looks great. I will leave it on for a while and see if it settles in.
Without a diagram or instructions on where to put the Lift-the-Dot studs (in the aluminum rails like the feet, or out in the fiberglass) or what size drill bit to use, we had to guess where to put them. and broke several of them. On Monday, I wrote BWY about the broken Lift-the-Dot studs and thy are sending me replacements. Excellent customer service!
Even with no diagrams in instructions, I still highly recommend this dodger but ask for extra Lift-the-Dot studs when you order.
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal »

I purchased and installed the BWY full enclosure and stern rail seats this Spring and am VERY happy with them.
I leave the frame for the dodger in place as it adds more hand holds going forward, and just remove the canvas.

I did have a problem with the stern rail seats, but BWY worked with me to solve it.
I highly recommend BWY!

I bought the enclosure side curtains with the screens as I plan to sail the North Channel again and learned from experience that you NEED screens to keep the mosquitoes out. They're HUGE and WILL suck out all your blood. It's also nice to have the breeze blowing through it in the heat of the evening.