Humminbird 5" or 7" screen

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Humminbird 5" or 7" screen

Post by dlandersson »

I'm getting ready to upgrade my Hummunbird 767c2 5" screen GPS, Fishfinder, etc., thingy.

I'm looking at both the 5" and 7" Humminbird Helix 5 or 7 - at least partly because the power cord is the same - so I can just use my existing one - less wiring.

I'm inclined towards the 7" - but I'm a tad concerned about electric use/battery drain. :| Thoughts?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/HUMMINB ... s?slotId=0
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Humminbird 5" or 7" screen

Post by Tomfoolery »

Johnson Outdoors' web site shows 615mA vs 800mA for the 5" vs the 7". I'd pick the 7" mainly because I hate a small screen. Since you rarely need the screen to be lit all the time, you could save power by either shutting it off or letting it go dark (assuming it has the ability) and taking a peek every so often unless and until you need it.

Or add another battery for longer run time without compromising your ability to start the OB. :wink:
Divecoz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Re: Humminbird 5" or 7" screen

Post by Divecoz »

I have 2-5" screens and my brother has a 9" and a 12"....... Its one time for sure when Bigger is better..Where it really pays off is on the ICWW ... Theres lots going on and much of it just out of sight.. Sailing on Lake Michigan it was handy, but here on the SWF coast its pretty dang Necessary if ya want to get home quickly and without issues..