Love me my Honda BF50

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Love me my Honda BF50

Post by DaveC426913 »

Pulled it out of the water in Oct. Forgot to fog it, forgot to drain it, didn't even disconnect the gasline. It routinely hit -20C here.

Fired it up on the weekend, started first try. Every time.
Jimmyt
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Love me my Honda BF50

Post by Jimmyt »

Honda typically makes really good engines. Although, you may have a little luck (or a guardian angel) if you got away with freezing it without draining it. I assume you meant 20 deg F in lieu of 20 deg C?
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Jimmyt wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:57 amI assume you meant 20 deg F in lieu of 20 deg C?
No. Minus 20C. (That's minus 4F.)
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Make that a fleet of guardian angels. Didn't see the minus sign - small screen. Yikes.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I have a 2003 Honda 50 on my 2005 :macm: .

The only challenge I have ever had was finding a repair source a few years ago when I noticed there was no pee stream when I started the motor. I was three hundred miles from home. There was only one place to check it out, and it was not close. Honda just does not have the support other brands have. If you’re in a largely populated area, you probably won’t have a problem.

Thankfully, Honda makes a dependable product, but, as I once saw on an infants shirt, Spit Happens.

Ray
taylormade
Engineer

Post by taylormade »

This is indeed a problem for me as well... even in a marine-rich environment like Tampa. The nearest true Honda Marine dealer is almost an hour away. I know, I know a LOT of people have to drive 3 hours each way, but when there are Yamaha, Suzuki, Evinrude and Mercury dealers within 10 minutes of me and the nearest Honda is a solid hour, it's not great. Therefore I end up buying most of my parts online and waiting the 2-3 days for them to get here.

As for are your non-peeing 50 Ray, was it the impeller or just blockage in the tube? I ended up removing the plastic piece that connects the house to the fairing and ran the tube straight through it. Much better since then but I may replace the smaller diameter port in the block with a larger one still. We'll see how much I have to clean this first.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

taylormade wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:06 amAs for are your non-peeing 50 Ray, was it the impeller or just blockage in the tube? I ended up removing the plastic piece that connects the house to the fairing and ran the tube straight through it. Much better since then but I may replace the smaller diameter port in the block with a larger one still. We'll see how much I have to clean this first.
That’s what I did on my BF50. The small hose and plastic exit fitting are a known problem, and later versions used a larger hose. I bought the ‘upgrade’ kit, which included a larger hose and a fitting for the engine block, and just ran the hose right out the cowl. No fitting. I did put a spring clamp on the end of the hose, in case it tried to crawl inside, but I don’t think it was actually necessary.

No more clogs, by the way. Clogs were a regular thing before the fix, and usually all it involved was cleaning out the exit fitting with a paper clip, which I stored in the cabin just for that. But it was hard to reach the fitting when you can’t see it, so it usually involved removing the cowl. PITA. But no more.

As to the OP draining the engine, I’m not clear on what needs draining. I would just tilt it down in the driveway and the water would drain out. After the oil and filter change, of course. Then I’d run it out of gas, then drain the carb bowls using the little hoses that are stored in there for that. That’s it.
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

I assumed he meant dropping the tilt and letting the foot drain. But, you know what they say about assumptions.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

As for are your non-peeing 50 Ray, was it the impeller or just blockage in the tube
It was the impeller.
the dude
Just Enlisted

Post by the dude »

I have had my 01x and BF50a for three seasons now and it has lived up to its reliable name. However it does remind me of my 79 Accord 3 door in the corrosion department. The drivetrain in that car was solid but the fuel line and body ended rusting out. Granted the PO and myself are in the salt, but does anybody else have a rusted looking frame mount on their Swivel Case? Is that not a very important part !? Do you know that Honda no longer makes this part ? If it breaks you are at the mercy of eBay!lol and how about the well documented gear case nut that corrodes so bad that you can't unscrew it even with the $200 special tool and risk cracking the lower unit when doing so. But hey it could be worse it could be on a powerboat !