Continued Water Leaks

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

Continued Water Leaks

Post by macowneril2015 »

I keep my :macx: in a slip in Chicago during the season and in a storage facility in the elements during the winter. Last year I noticed that there was water ending up in the bilges and also it appeared as water may be getting in somewhere near the cockpit (water dripping from black cover on underside of rear berth). I am completing my preseason upgrades and work and the water is definitely a major issue. I think after 19 years the rubrail needs to be replaced as the PO caused damage to it. I saw something about chain plates and top deck items but was unsure how likely those were to be the issue. I am just inquiring to see what the more seasoned minds think about where I should start. I did fix the bad steering gasket and that cut the water leaking in by half.
Hideaway

Re: Continued Water Leaks

Post by Hideaway »

I own a 2002 26x and had similar water leak issues. You might try looking just inside the gasoline storage compartments of the cockpit. I had to seal the entire length were the bottom of the gasoline compartment contacted the inside wall of the cockpit, just below the opening. This solved my issues, good luck with yours.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I fully concur about the rub rail, I think mine needs replacing as well. :cry:

Re: chain plates. Where they attach to the hull, I put on some new silicon gasket stuff every spring. 8)

Which Chicago marina are you in? I'm always looking for spare parts. :P
macowneril2015 wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:07 pm I keep my :macx: in a slip in Chicago during the season and in a storage facility in the elements during the winter. Last year I noticed that there was water ending up in the bilges and also it appeared as water may be getting in somewhere near the cockpit (water dripping from black cover on underside of rear berth). I am completing my preseason upgrades and work and the water is definitely a major issue. I think after 19 years the rubrail needs to be replaced as the PO caused damage to it. I saw something about chain plates and top deck items but was unsure how likely those were to be the issue. I am just inquiring to see what the more seasoned minds think about where I should start. I did fix the bad steering gasket and that cut the water leaking in by half.
Last edited by dlandersson on Tue May 07, 2019 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

So I replaced the windows this passed weekend and I fully think the rub rail is the culprit because even after draining 85% of the water out of the bilges I ended up with water in them with the boat sitting on the trailer I also noticed it is pulling away in places. I will look at the chain plate posts as well and see the solution.
March
Captain

Post by March »

Replacing the rubrail is a huge project. It seems like an easy one, but reports suggest differently. It would be the very last thing I would attempt before making sure that the chainplates and the windows are well sealed. My rubrail is chaffed in a couple of places, but is still holding tight in the main.

You could try spraying some talcum powder in the bilge to see where the water is dribbling from
Just saying
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

March wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 8:18 am Replacing the rubrail is a huge project. It seems like an easy one, but reports suggest differently. It would be the very last thing I would attempt before making sure that the chainplates and the windows are well sealed. My rubrail is chaffed in a couple of places, but is still holding tight in the main.

You could try spraying some talcum powder in the bilge to see where the water is dribbling from
Just saying
How does the talcum powder work? I changed the window due to a foredeck one leaking which I temporary fixed last summer but this year I replaced all the windows and I will seal them tight with a bead all the way around the exterior of the window. I will apply some silicone around chainplates and see that issue but I ordered the rubrail kit and I am having a marina do it for me since it seems to be involved and they are doing other work for me. Also should be noted BWY currently doesn't have a manufacturer for the end caps so keep your end caps until further notice.
March
Captain

Post by March »

I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

March wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
I understand now, thank you for clarifying also how can I keep the humidity lower in my boat in the summer, not sure if you or others do anything to mitigate it but I had some issues last summer with mildew.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

I had mold one time that I know of, 2nd winter.

Every month, I empty out my X and clean (wipe it down really) with a mold inhibitor.

When in the marina, I have some fans on to keep the air ciculating. Forward hatch is cracked open a tad. 8)
macowneril2015 wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:13 pm
March wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm I removed all the plywood covers over the holes above the bilge and made sure the interior of the bilge was tolerably dry. Then I applied some "puffs" of talcum powder wherever I could. Then I hosed the boat. I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
I understand now, thank you for clarifying also how can I keep the humidity lower in my boat in the summer, not sure if you or others do anything to mitigate it but I had some issues last summer with mildew.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

This past weekend after a week of rain I had 1.5+ gallons of water in the boat (she's on dry land). Windows are new and sealed well I will be changing the rubrail in a few weeks, my fuel lockers were resealed plus I do not think they would let in that much water. Would the rubrail still be the main culprit, I do a lot of work on my own so it is hard to have someone hose her while I am crawling looking for leaks plus it is hard to get the bilge dry.
Alexis
Engineer

Post by Alexis »

March wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
The rear arrangement is an easy culprit. I had some water entering through the hole where the engine cables and steering enters the boat above the rear berth. I sprayed a "cloud" of enclosed foam there, not a drop anymore (to avoid the cheap household product, it is important that the foam cells are totally closed to avoid soaking water like a sponge...).

I also had a disconnection of the drain pipe contraption under the engine well that I detected because of a slight gas smell in the rear bilge. IMHO, this is a bad design and it is also very difficult to access... It is not a pleasant task but I recommend to check this drain once in a while.

Other than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.

My bilges are as dry as bilges can be. I am kind of lucky, I guess.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

Alexis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 am
March wrote: Fri May 10, 2019 2:10 pm I could see that water was dribbling from the starboard chainplate and from the rear, where the control cables to the engine went
The rear arrangement is an easy culprit. I had some water entering through the hole where the engine cables and steering enters the boat above the rear berth. I sprayed a "cloud" of enclosed foam there, not a drop anymore (to avoid the cheap household product, it is important that the foam cells are totally closed to avoid soaking water like a sponge...).

I also had a disconnection of the drain pipe contraption under the engine well that I detected because of a slight gas smell in the rear bilge. IMHO, this is a bad design and it is also very difficult to access... It is not a pleasant task but I recommend to check this drain once in a while.

Other than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.

My bilges are as dry as bilges can be. I am kind of lucky, I guess.
The engine cable and steering linkage were huge issues last year until I resolved it, I forgot to check engine well, I will also see bow light but the bow portion has never really had water intrusion. Thank you for your added insight.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Alexis wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 9:33 amOther than that, my last and remaining leak is from the bow light, where a little bit of water can run inside the boat and soak the bow side of the berth mattresses. I won't fix it this season, I placed an old towel at the bow between the lower and upper berth liners to collect the water.
Why not? A thin sausage of butyl tape and a couple of minutes with a screwdriver would fix that permanently. 8)
Maraquita
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Post by Maraquita »

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but when you talk about Butyl Tape do you mean the gray or light green putty that one can buy at True Value or Ace? Or is there a particular "marine" Butyl tape?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

This is what I use. Got it from someone on another boat forum (user name Maine Sail), but I see it's available online now.

https://shop.marinehowto.com/products/bed-it-tape

This stuff stays flexible, like, forever. :| I first used it years ago, and it's still as soft and sticky as the day I placed it. It's still squishing out from under some things where I used too much, in fact, and I have to trim it and peel it off once in a while. :D