A few random questions

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
macowneril2015
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Downtown Chicago, 2001 26X, 2001 50 Hp Nissan (NS50D2)

A few random questions

Post by macowneril2015 »

So as I continue down my list of questions last year I had issues with a larger anchor not fitting in the anchor locker, I mainly anchor in muddy / grassy areas for those in Chicago the "Playpen". I was looking to see what types and size anchors other use, I also have 8-10 feet of chain and 150' of rode. Another question, I bought a boomkicker and plan on installing it since my boat stays in a slip during the Chicago season, do I also need to install a topping lift? Also could anyone provide their experience / how difficult was it to install both of these or either of them? Thank you all so much, these forums have saved me hours and thousands of dollars.
Baha
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: A few random questions

Post by Baha »

I have two danforth-type anchors. One is small enough to leave in the anchor locker and is good for lunch and really calm anchorages. The larger one holds much better, but has to live on my anchor roller. If you get a heavier anchor, get an anchor ball and learn how to use it...saves your back.

I have a topping lift. I don't think you need both that and a boomkicker. It was already on the boat when I bought it, but doesn't look like a big deal to install. One often overlooked benefits of a topping life is that you can get your boom way up out of the way when moored.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

how do you secure it to the anchor roller?
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

In my opinion, the anchor locker is totally inadequate for stowing an anchor. While a danforth will fit, it's hard to get adequate chain and rode in with it. I carry a danforth as a second anchor on a bracket which attaches to the bow pulpit. Just hang the stock bar in the bracket and bungee the shank to the pulpit stanchion, and you're all set. If you cut a semicircle out of the front of the anchor locker lid with a 2 inch hole saw, you can feed the chain into the locker and leave the chain permanently attached to your anchor. The locker will easily hold your chain and rode, plus a brush for cleaning mud off the anchor. Your danforth is well suited for soft muddy bottoms. Anchors like the Manson and Bruce, and plow style anchors, can't fit in the locker, and must sit on the bow roller for storage. With a little experimentation, you can find a position for a roller which will allow storage of one of these types of anchors without conflicting with the bow of the boat.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Chinook wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:28 amIn my opinion, the anchor locker is totally inadequate for stowing an anchor.
Yeah, the only anchor that fits in there is a small Danforth-type fluke anchor, and it's too small for anything but a lunch hook. Which is what I keep in there, with 30 ft of chain and around 100 ft of light 3-strand rode.
Chinook wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:28 amYour danforth is well suited for soft muddy bottoms.
I'll go one better - the puny 4 lb aluminium Fortress FX-7 I keep in there has two fluke angle settings - the 'standard' 32° angle, same as Danforth and knockoffs, which is good for sand and sandy mud, and the steeper 45° fluke angle, which is the best I've ever seen for soft mud. Last time I anchored in soft mud with the flukes at that angle, I didn't think I was going to get it back, and it's the smallest anchor Fortress makes. :|

Took a number of tries driving over it to get it to slowly come back up. In that bottom with that anchor at that angle, I wouldn't hesitate to overnight on it. With an anchor alarm running, of course. :wink:

Oh, and I do keep two other anchors with chain and line, ready to go. One much larger Danforth, and a claw. Claws work pretty well around here, but I can't store it in the locker, and I normally just anchor for swimming or whatever, so the Fortress is fine for that.

I have noticed the :macm: boats have a larger anchor locker than the :macx: boats, though. Good idea that. :D
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

what size chain do you have? and where do you store the other anchors?
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Chain is 1/4" galvanized. I don't know what grade, but it could just be proof coil since it doesn't wind on a gypsy, and it's just a little boat. Grade 30 proof coil has a WLL of 1300 lb.

Line is 3/8" 3-strand nylon. Very stretchy, which is good of course.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

My primary anchor is a Rochna, which I store on the bow roller. Secondary bow anchor is a Danforth style Fortress, which I carry on a bow pulpit bracket. Both anchors are rigged with chain and rode, which are stowed in the anchor locker. I've installed a partition in the locker, to keep the two separate. I also have a plow anchor with chain and rode, which I store in a bag which can be hung from a stern railing. The anchor is a plow type, which breaks down into 2 parts. I use it on occasion as a stern anchor.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

Thank you for all your input I really appreciate it. I did not realize the issue until I finally got her out and could not fit the "right sized" anchor in the locker.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

What anchor roller do you use, I have a bow surface mounted deck light and the bwyacht roller states "not for anchor storage"
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

If you plan on using a heavier anchor along the lines of a Bruce, Rochna or Manson, the BWY roller is too light duty for storing the anchor. Main problem is that it is so short, that the anchor will likely conflict with the bow of the boat when pulled up to storage position. If you try leaving the anchor sticking out a bit, it exerts considerable leverage when pounding in heavy seas. A solution is possible, although difficult. You need a larger roller. Mine is 16 inches long. It needs to be through bolted to the deck, with backing washers or plate. This is nightmarish, and definitely a 2 man job. I found adhesive to hold washers in place was handy, as was socket extensions and universal joint fitting. Positioning the roller far enough out to provide anchor clearance is tricky to figure, as is the angle of installation. You need to avoid conflict with the anchor locker lid (I mounted mine at an angle, so that the stock of the anchor lays along side the anchor locker opening. The bow mounted running light is a problem. BWY sells a mounting bracket, which can be bolted to the side of the roller. Your light may need to be elevated with bushings an inch or so, to avoid the light from being screened by the anchor stock. I like installing a locking bracket (spring loaded pin, sold by West Marine), which will provide positive locking of the anchor on the deck when being stored. Good luck.
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

Almost forgot the bow cleat conflict. There's barely room for the anchor stock and the anchor locking bracket along side the bow cleat. I have just enough room to attach a looped bow line through the cleat and around its horns. Many's the time I would have gladly paid Roger $50 per inch, even $100 per inch, for an extra inch here and there, when working on a project like installing a bow roller.
Baha
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Baha »

I am thinking about just adopting the plastic pipe option. Clamp a length of the right-sized PVC where you need it and hang the anchor in (vertically). I am not sure how to deal with the chain and rode, but am certain it would not be hard to figure out.
macowneril2015
Engineer

Post by macowneril2015 »

So I purchased a fortress anchor and it seems unable to set through the weeds it seems to be a common issue and most people go to a plow type. I was looking at getting a Rocna anchor( "self resets, punches through weeds, quick setting). Obviously it will not fit in anchor locker, any suggestions on handling this. I know the anchor roller mod on the :macx: is a hassle and I will consider handling it after the short Chicago boating season but in the mean time has anyone used or created some sort of quick release to store below deck? I was thinking I could leave the 10 ft of chain and 200' of rode in locker and detach the anchor but I do not want to lose the anchor considering they are a couple hundred dollars. I also plan on adding more chain to the rode since I have been scolded for lacking a substantial amount.
March
Captain

Post by March »

I am using a Bullwagga, in addition to the fortress (they don' seem to be available anymore, but it's the best anchor I've ever had) I keep the Fortress over the pulpit, in its own bracket. and the Bulwagga over the pulpit, too, on the other side. I just mounted a piece of a hose with two clamps to avoid denting the pulpit rail and put the anchor there. It's out of the way, ready for deployment, and the anchor being so heavy, i never lost it, even in rough weather. The locker is simply for the anchor rodes-