CD Furler raising sail

A forum for discussion of how to rig and tune your boat or kicker to achieve the best sailing performance.
Dreamcatcher
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

CD Furler raising sail

Post by Dreamcatcher »

I have a FF2 Furler on my 26X. I have always found it difficult to raise the Genoa because of all the friction. The bolt rope slot. This the second boat I have had with a CD FF2, with the same problem, so I assume everyone has the same difficulty. This is getting a bit much for my 73 year-old wrists so Saturday, I took out my four part tackle from the boom :macx: :macx: vang, shackled one end to the bow pulpit (later the bow cleat) and the other to a series of loops I tied into the halyard. Problem solved. The bolt rope would jam, then release with a bang and contiue to the top of the furler.

I don’t seem to be able to copy as photo onto this site. You need a photo, contact me and I will email it.

Has anyone else come up with a better solution?
dlandersson
Admiral

Re: CD Furler raising sail

Post by dlandersson »

The first time I tried raising my Genoa in the bolt rope slot, Iit was a pia. We used some dish soap liquid as lubricant. Since then I use sail kote lubricant before I raise the Genoa each spring and I have no problem. 8)
Dreamcatcher wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:26 pm I have a FF2 Furler on my 26X. I have always found it difficult to raise the Genoa because of all the friction. The bolt rope slot. This the second boat I have had with a CD FF2, with the same problem, so I assume everyone has the same difficulty. This is getting a bit much for my 73 year-old wrists so Saturday, I took out my four part tackle from the boom :macx: :macx: vang, shackled one end to the bow pulpit (later the bow cleat) and the other to a series of loops I tied into the halyard. Problem solved. The bolt rope would jam, then release with a bang and contiue to the top of the furler.

I don’t seem to be able to copy as photo onto this site. You need a photo, contact me and I will email it.

Has anyone else come up with a better solution?
Dreamcatcher
Deckhand

Post by Dreamcatcher »

I use lots of it. I believe the bolt rope starts to jam at the head of the sail, by which time I can’t get anymore lube to it.
Dreamcatcher
Deckhand

Post by Dreamcatcher »

BTW, I posted this same question on a general sailing list a few years back and some sweetheart wrote back that it was because I had a Mac and then proceeded to rant about MacGregors. I told him politely that his reply made no sense and quit the list.
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

It should NOT be hard to raise the foresail with the FF2. The furler head does not last forever. There is line-on-furler-head friction each time you raise or lower the foresail. This friction eats slowly away at the black phenolic furler head until eventually the inner chase is deformed and line has friction trying to get through tight restriction. Sure, lube may help, but you are ignoring the real problem. Solution: take apart the furler completely and hold the 4 inch black furler head in your hand and with penlight inspect the inner chase path. If old and worn out, replace it and all will be well for another 10 to 15 years.
Opie
opie
Captain

Post by opie »

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

If we are talking about the same thing, I use Sailkote on the entire CDI furler before raising my mast in the spring. Just did it today, in fact. 8)
Dreamcatcher wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 6:29 am I use lots of it. I believe the bolt rope starts to jam at the head of the sail, by which time I can’t get anymore lube to it.
Interim
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Interim »

I use sailkote too. We rig once a year, so I am not hoisting and dowsing throughout the year. I clean the groove in the spring, and then sailkote it. But the angles are demanding. The halyard needs to be pulled in line with the track or it will bind, and the boltrope needs to be fed in straight or it will (in my case) start pulling out of the slot.

--john