Mac19 restoration

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.
yoyobuw
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Mac19 restoration

Post by yoyobuw »

Hi

I have recently acquired a Mac19, complete, but in a very bad shape. Lots of scratches and weed grown on it, otherwise no holes or substantial damage to the fiberglass. Mast complete but sails in very bad shape, couldn't tell if they're damaged or just dirty (haven't unrolled them). Metallic lines were cut and I believe I'll need a crimping tool.
Found about 100 liters of water inside it. Not in the ballast tank but inside the boat, in two compartments. Got it out but it stayed there for over a year (boat was in a hangar). I believe this water got in through rain because boat was on water for a long time and also since last year, in the hangar, it didn't leak.

So, here are my questions:

1) I'm planning to use an electric water pump and hoses to pump water out it after i was it on the interior with water and 5% cholorine. Is this a bad idea?

2) Sails, the old ones, if they have holes, can they be patched? Or where can I get new ones?

3) The centerboard, how do you raise and lower it from inside?

4) What products should I use to wash and clean it both inside and outside? Should I use car wax? For some reason it gets dirty very fast, like it's attracting dust.

5) When using it as powerboat with Tohatsu 40HP 2 stoke engine, ballast tank should be empty, full or half-full?

6) It doesn't have the US Coast Guard Tag, and it does not matter since it's in Europe. But I will have to declare to local naval authority max number of persons to be on board. Can I go with 6?

7) I don't know what make and dimensions for the original tires. Any help?

TY
Stevenhigbee
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Re: Mac19 restoration

Post by Stevenhigbee »

Ballast tank must be completely empty or completely full. Never kept partially filled.

Some other answers can be found in the manual, available from the resources page:

https://www.macgregorsailors.com/manuals/index.php
LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo »

Mac 19s have ballast tanks? Or just a heavy swing keel?
ramirezpm
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by ramirezpm »

800# of Water Ballast and a centerboard
beechkingd
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by beechkingd »

LoHo wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:06 am Mac 19s have ballast tanks? Or just a heavy swing keel?
They are very similar to an X with water ballast.

For parts http://shop.bwyachts.com/category-s/117.htm

If the sails are that old I would look at new ones, especially the main.
Alexis
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Alexis »

Hello,

Welcome to the forum!

Here are my two cents answers, I am not a pro by any mean but this is what I would do:

1) I don't see why an electric pump would be a bad idea... though you might realize that the bilge compartments have convoluted shapes and it may be hard to access the bottom, even with a hose. Hands and sponge could be the best finishing tools. Macgregors are relatively dry boats and the water inside (if any) should come from rain or condensation.

2) I personally don't mind about the appearance of my sails as soon as they are working. I recently realized (thanks to this forum) that is important to check if the fabric didn't loosen too much, which leads to lower performance. If they are still good and not too valuable you can patch them yourself, though be aware that it is a bit of work: use some UV resistant thread, outdoor fabric and glue the edges that could catch wind.

3) Have you check this? http://www.dougpile.com/mac19/p17.html#centerboard

4) Don't use a car wax, a boat coating is very different! You should use a specific gelcoat cleaner, I would suggest you start with an oxidation remover. I tried Meguiar's this year and I am very happy with the result. If the gelcoat needs repairs, the process kind of looks like how you fix dry walls: there are a lot of very informative videos online. I don't know if you have ever owned something in fiberglass and white coating: it usually gets dirty very fast!

5) The ballast tank should ALWAYS be either completely FULL or completely EMPTY. An incomplete fill is extremely dangerous and will make you capsize! Check if the valves are operating correctly, and change them if you have a doubt on the seal.

6) I am not sure, but I think the Mac 19 is limited to 4 persons. What country in Europe? I live in Canada now but I am originally from France.

7) I have no ideas about the tires, though Macgregor uses US standards and a lot of common solutions (which is very handy when maintaining your boat by the way...) so you shouldn't have too much difficulties to find something adapted. Check what will be the total weight on wheels of your boat with engine and equipment, and pick tires adapted to that weight. Check your bearings and grease them to prevent losing a wheel on the road.