What will you miss most about your Mac when you size up to another boat?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
windypatrick
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: What will you miss most about your Mac when you size up to another boat?

Post by windypatrick »

Hi all, haven't signed on in a while...thought the site was gone and I was genuinely blue about it. Fantastic people. I re-stumbled on it last night while looking for engine specs for the Mac :macx:

My work has kept me away - but the potential energy of the X sits there under a cover I've sewn out of 27 yards of Sunbrella to reduce the impact of the harsh AZ sun. Anyways I am thinking of spending some time in Mexico in a couple of years, and I plan on takin my :macx: . It appears that it will be perfect for playing in the Bay of Banderas and for light coastal work. I was thinking this might lead up to getting a bigger boat...but perhaps not. I am only a puddle pirate for now, so I need to make this thing seaworthy. Admiral agrees (yay). So next year a new motor and a ton of fixes. Though I've been away, I managed to take an ASA101 course in Tacoma WA while on work travel.

To broadly paraphrase Ernest Gann, my boat: "Drinks Six, Eats four, Sleeps two and poo's one" I am good with that for now. :)

Best Regards To all!

Patrick
nedmiller
First Officer

Post by nedmiller »

I want a big, teak filled sailboat that we could live on like a Union Polaris! I also want a big teak and mahogany filled trawler that we could live on, and not mess with sails and rigging and no wind....but we live in Missouri and I really don’t like going to the same lake every time. I like to go to different lakes. I like to go to small lakes and big lakes and some very big lakes. I would like to go down big rivers. I have no desire to sail across an ocean. I was in a large sailboat once south of Florida and open water with no land in sight, going at sailboat speed was the most boring thing that I’ve ever done. So I keep coming back to the loving the Mac for what it can do.

I can leave the mast and sails at home and take the Mac to Knoxville and put it in the Cumberland River and do a MacTrawler trip all the way to Kentucky Lake. We planned to do that this spring, but now it looks like it will be a fall trip. Our big summer trip with our daughter and her husband will be at the North Channel of Lake Huron. No other boat that you can tow with an F150 would be as big or as comfortable as our Mac X for four.

I would miss this site. Long ago, I had engine trouble, and one of the moderators still here, Catigale, answered my plea for help. He removed his engine cover, and took a photograph of where the fuse was that was causing my problem. Just last week I got help here solving a trailer brake problem. I have been inspired countless times by mods posted here and my boat is filled with them! I love putting mods on the boat more than sailing it! (I need to repaint my waterline!) BTW.. The mod section hasn’t worked for me in a long time. Are the rest of you having that problem?
I would miss the three forms this boat can take, MacSailor, MacTrawler, and MacTrailer.
We can sleep on the boat on our way to any destination! It launches so easily, especially in MacTrawler mode that we will be able to get pretty old and still use the boat.

I also love that we have our very own supply house. Blue Water Yachts has most things that we need specifically for our boats, at a reasonable price, and fantastic customer service.

I probably won’t get a big teak filled boat. The McGregor is just too practical, too easy, and too inexpensive that other boats can’t compare. It also goes into shallow water, which is one of the best characteristics of a good boat.
windypatrick
Engineer

Post by windypatrick »

I concur, I would miss this site if it ended - too many good people :( And the mods portion isn't working for me either. :o
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by beene »

I miss the trailer ability. Shallow draft. Steerable prop. Ability to go fast. Pull a tube or knee board. Low cost of everything related to its ownership or its use. Simplicity of its design and systems.

But most of all, having a resource like this awesome Forum.

I have not found anything like this in the Benny world.

G
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Great summary and good comparison G

The Mac's low cost of ownership is undeniable and I personally don't sail enough to justify the investment of any bigger yacht. I keep looking and dreaming of something bigger but the high costs only seems worth it when you liveaboard. :)

All the best.
Neo
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

The only thing I wouldn't miss is the financial state that led me to the Mac. If I were already wealthy enough to buy a "better" boat, look at all I would have missed. These are great boats. More versatile than any other (except a flying boat) but that's an entirely different versatility. A well kept example shows a little affluence. A well used one shows enjoyment. A beat up but sound Mac shows use, comfort and experience. A for sale sign shows surrender. These are the highest quality compromises out there. I have never heard of a better boat that checks all the boxes even from the Mac bashers mouths. They can trash talk but cant show me better all around.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Wow Bob,

I love your write-up. I gonna print this out and hang it up in my Mac ...
A well kept Mac shows a little affluence :P
A well used Mac shows enjoyment :)
A beat up but sound Mac shows use, comfort and experience :wink:
A for sale sign is the sign of surrender :cry:
It's the highest quality compromises out there 8)
Mac bashers can trash talk but can't point to a better all around vessel :D
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

Of course, these are just my opinions but I feel they fairly accurately represent those of the Mac community.

Or maybe I am just a little excited yet about joining the club. :P
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

Ok, when I would be an owner of a big yacht I would never miss the :macm:

You ask why?

It is so easy:

My old tiny :macm: would be used as a tender in the big yacht. So when the big yacht ist anchoring somewhere the oldie :macm: would be taken out. The youngster skiper will rayse the mast and I could sail or motor to the most beatiful spots... hahaaa :D
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

Excellent point. You cant miss what you don't lose.
Todd
Engineer

Post by Todd »

without a doubt two things: I can tow it behind my F-150 with ease including beach launching with my 98 Wrangler. I can store it between my house and wall on the side where a boat shouldn't be. The Gas meter guy said-- "no problem" we can read your meter no matter what. :D
yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob »

Maneuverability in the harbor and doing boat projects in the backyard.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

Huh. I’ll be downsizing if I ever get rid of my M. So, I’ll miss the room.

Ix
Rumdirty
Engineer

Post by Rumdirty »

Shallow draft is a huge problem for me. Heck I manage to unintentionally beach my boat on all the sandbars around here that I've given up on using my dagger board. The only thing I would consider would be a cat for the shallow water. I don't have 250k laying around so it'll continue to be me and my Mac.

Missed the site, glad it's back! :D