Trenton Ontario and Trent Severn Waterway

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
ris
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Trenton Ontario and Trent Severn Waterway

Post by ris »

We will be at the Trent Port Marina Tuesday, Wednesday and possibly Thursday. Come by or meet us on the Trent Severn Waterway. Always have time to chat with other Mac owners or those wanting to see a Mac set up as a trawler. Text or leave pm.
Boats name is Jill Kristy. We have a blue sunbrella enclosure.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Re: Trenton Ontario and Trent Severn Waterway

Post by DaveC426913 »

:waves from Toronto:

Welcome to Ontario.

Here's a gift basket of Zebra Mussels to take home and share with your friends. :)
Todd
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Todd »

Ris, how are you dealing with the Canadian laws regarding cassette porta toilets vs marine heads set up with a pump out. The reason I ask is that I was talking to the Marina staff at a Ridgway State Park in Colorado and they only allow cassette/porta style toilets. So now I am thoroughly confused on which one to do. Currently I have a regular cassette (non-marine) style that I can remove and dump in a station. I would like to take my boat up there to Trent Severn someday but am having a hard time figuring out how to do that upgrade so it is tailored to the 'portability' of our boats and the many differnet waters that can be visited. thanks. Todd
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

tlgeddes wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 am Ris, how are you dealing with the Canadian laws regarding cassette porta toilets vs marine heads set up with a pump out.
Toronto here.

Now I'm wondering if I'm legal.
I have a porta-potty with a pumpout.

(never use the pumpout, just carry it up to the club house).

[ EDIT ]
Sunuvagun. It looks like I'm not allowed to do that.

"No means of removal of toilet waste is provided other than [a deck fitting and such connecting piping as is necessary for the removal of toilet waste by shore-based pumping equipment.]"

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... 610.htm#s6
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

Tigeddes I sent you a pm
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

DaveC426913 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:37 pm
tlgeddes wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:35 am Ris, how are you dealing with the Canadian laws regarding cassette porta toilets vs marine heads set up with a pump out.
Toronto here.

Now I'm wondering if I'm legal.
I have a porta-potty with a pumpout.

(never use the pumpout, just carry it up to the club house).

[ EDIT ]
Sunuvagun. It looks like I'm not allowed to do that.

"No means of removal of toilet waste is provided other than [a deck fitting and such connecting piping as is necessary for the removal of toilet waste by shore-based pumping equipment.]"

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/d ... 610.htm#s6
I've always taken that to mean 'no macerator' and overboard discharge through plumbing. I have a porta-potti MSD version with suction and vent lines to the deck, which I installed in place of the non-MSD version that was in the boat when I got it. Mainly to be legal in Ontario waters. May be self-serving, but I consider what I have 'legal enough'. :|

FWIW, where is the line? Anyone can unbolt a holding tank and take it out of the boat. Does that make it 'portable'? :wink:
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

We always put in our logbook where we empty our composting toilet. So we have a record of when and where we put our waste. Also we know of no one who has had their potty habits checked.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

My X was bought in Collins Bay near Kingston, and was customized by the PO specifically for cruising the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Mast crutch extension (to clear bimini), stern rail party seats, 11 fenders, including several that would have kept the Edmund Fitzgerald afloat.

Today, for - I think - the first time in my boating history, I used the pump out at the service dock.
We don't do a lot of over-nighting - and when we do it's at other clubs - so the head doesn't see a lot of use.

But I used it last week crossing the lake and did not want to see how bad below decks could get in the summer heat, so I pumped it out.

It's actually a lot less effort than hauling the porta-potty tank up to the club house service sink.