another A/C mod for an X (semi-permanent)

A forum for discussing boat or trailer repairs or modifications that you have made or are considering.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Billy
First Officer

another A/C mod for an X (semi-permanent)

Post by Billy » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:45 pm

Finally, after several years, I decided to complete my air conditioner mod. Actually, I got tired of putting the unit below, bringing it up to the companionway, carrying different hatchboards, and then putting it back below before sailing out--not to mention having to carefully climb over the AC if I needed to leave the cabin while it was running or the space it took below. I did not want any part of the metal casing exposed and wanted it to look like it was designed around the X--even though I'm not much of a craftsman.

Trashed the idea of 'glass and grabbed some plywood. Cut it to fit the benches and the companionway.

Put it together with SS screws and doublechecked the fit.

Next, completely coated it with truckbed liner (polyurethane with rubber granules) to waterproof. Also absorbs shock and makes the unit fit tight. Not to mention the anti-skid property.

Hung the AC by screwing its case to the inside top of the box. Slid it in companionway rails. 2 plexiglass slats fill the remainder of the companionway.

Fits well from the inside also. Doesn't block the step. Blows direct into the cabin and drains to the cockpit.

So far, I really like this as it just seems to fit. No more dragging the AC in and out of the cabin. It can now stay in place all summer. The unit hangs from the benches and is retained in place by the companionway rails. It doesn't touch the cockpit floor, thus it doesn't trap anything. The top is level with the benches and actually adds to the cockpit---non skid table, forward looking seat under the dodger, and great for short legged people when really heeling. And it doesn't hamper access to the cabin.

Best of all, at the end of summer, I can just lift the "box" and store it on the shelf until the following summer.

(Maybe I'll get around to finishing my X-wings.)

eric3a

Post by eric3a » Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:09 pm

Last edited by eric3a on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Duane Dunn, Allegro
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bellevue, Wa '96 26x, Tohatsu 90 TLDI and Plug In Hybrid Electric drive

Post by Duane Dunn, Allegro » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:25 pm

Now you just need to put a traveler across it and your X will have the complete look of an M companionway. Very nice work, I wonder how it would look done in Starboard?

Boy it must be nice to have the boat inside to work on. I'm out in the backyard today installing my new aft aluminum arch. It will carry the mast when trailering above my folded back and booted bimini standing in the upright position. This alone will work far better than my old '96 style aft mast crutch and cut 4-5 steps off the mast raising and setup process. The arch will also mount all the antennas, the lifesling, the life ring, and the BBQ. A lifting crane for the dinghy outboard is also in the design.

My neighbor got me a nice piece of 4" x"1" x 20' aluminum channel (used but quite servicable). I cut and bent the channel to form the arch that mounts inside the transom sides. My neighbor then took the formed arch to work and welded up all the joints. I've finished grinding down all the welds and installing one more access plate on the port side. Time to block it in place and drill the mounting holes. Then I have to fab up the backing plates and bolt her on. After that I think I'll get the mast back on the boat and then go to work on mounting all the other stuff to it.

Billy
First Officer

Post by Billy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:40 am

Put the A/C mod through it's trials this past weekend. Temps in the high 90's every day. Unit never moved from it's fitted position and was super quiet. We traveled about 100 miles---Oriental to Ocracoke NC and back. Crew consisted of 3 young sailors 11-14 y.o. Sailed and hi-speed motored.

First night at the town dock in Oriental, no dock power, we used the Honda 2000 sitting on the rear of the bench. (Yes, installed co2 detector on head door.) Within the hour the boat was cooled down enough to sleep. Kids had to wrap up, it was so cold inside. Thermostat was on 72, don't know how cold it was in the aft berth, with it being lower. The A/C unit was cycling on & off.

At Ocracoke, we tied into the power and left the unit running Friday to Sunday morning. This must be what it's like to have one of those big boats. And no problems stepping on and over the A/C---just like it was made for the X. While underway, used the "box" both as a foward-looking seat and a table for serving from the galley.

Added benefit: onboard clothes dryer. Noticing how much heat was coming from the back of the A/C, I strung a line from the port lifeline across the cockpit to starboard lifeline 3 times between the back of the A/C and the pedestal. Hung our wet clothes & towels out and they were dry within a couple of hours--all nice & fluffy.

As you probably realize, this is one mod I'm really happy with especially since it was kid-tested all weekend. :D No more lifting the A/C out until the end of summer. Life is good!

waternwaves
Admiral
Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Post by waternwaves » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:23 pm

Billy,

(as I put on my great 'Carnac the magnificent' turban ............and gaze into my crystal ball.)

I can see the future......

I think I am seeing the AC's perfect mate sitting in the same type of hanging enclosure beneath the helmseat............

Look at that, it even has a fuel plug to draw off of the fuel tanks..........

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

yes..........

it is...........

a generator housing......

image courtesy of 48facets
Last edited by waternwaves on Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Billy
First Officer

Post by Billy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:27 pm

WnW, might work well but think I'll pass on that one. Might be too hard to lift the seat when I have to switch tanks. :) Besides, the Honda 2000 was still on its own tank after a night of running the A/C and the Engel refer.

RichardB
Deckhand
Location: North Palm Beach, FL; 2006 26M; Honda 50; "Windhorse"

Post by RichardB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:46 pm

Nice work, that's one sweet a/c mod Billy! I've been using a small Fedders unit with a plywood hatch, storing it under the v-berth when not in use. This is now high on my list of future mods.
Richard

waternwaves
Admiral

Post by waternwaves » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Billy

It isn't hooked to the raising part of the seat.......
Only to the benches and stepped over.....

Billy
First Officer

Post by Billy » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Sorry, just more of the slow comprehending country boy mindset. Makes a lot of sense now. Accessing the tanks could be simple as lifting the generator/unit and sitting it on the side bench. It's a thought. Thanks for setting me straight. :) Just don't know how much more weight my trailer can take. :D

RichardB
Deckhand

Post by RichardB » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm

Hi Billy,
Which polyurethane coating did you use? With plywood in a humid environment that part is pretty important. I can only find it by the gallon and it's pretty steep:
https://www.durabakcompany.com/secure/order.htm
Richard

vkmaynard
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Apex, NC - 2001 26X "Compromise" w/ 2010 Suzuki DF90A

Post by vkmaynard » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 pm

Well all I can say is I'm FIRST in line!

I saw Billy's AC mod for the 26x first hand. Great job! Getting over the top into the cabin is not much of a problem. It is certainly worth having it on board for the hot months.

So when does production of the fiberglass unit begin?

Victor

waternwaves
Admiral

Post by waternwaves » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:25 pm

Billy,

I have removable deck cover plates over my built in tanks.......

They might be handy for not having to remove the tanks.

Single 18 gallon fill point on each side. And my cockpit cushions cover them perfectly.

Have to tell you, your mod Idea is definitely one of the better ones.

But I really need to design a gas powered alternator set, with a big GM delco alternator on a small 2 hp motor.. This is going to be a lot smaller all the generators I have been evaluating. Direct charge the batteries...much quicker.......smaller, and let the 120 volt continue to be supplied by the inverter.......

Then I can hang one under the helm seat.

Moe
Admiral

Post by Moe » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 am

I haven't done the math, but Balmar (marine alternators) says every 25 amps takes 1 HP from the driving engine.

RichardB
Deckhand

Post by RichardB » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:16 am

First thing when I got home last night was look at my M-cockpit and DOH! - this is an X-only mod (as Billy specifically stated in the subject line). Where's the red-faced emoticon for embarrassment ? Exuberance for this brilliant cold air mod made me blind. ah well, back to dreaming of the mermaid air or the new marine air "cabincool" James V just announced in another post - both requiring more time and $$ than I currently can spare.

Richard

waternwaves
Admiral

Post by waternwaves » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:01 am

at speed........

a noisy brigs/(havent done the tecumseh) yet..and I want to try a robin...3 hp........with proper gearing can drive the GM 65/75 amp well.

I am trying to find a moller or other muffler system to quiet it down...... But I may end up having to fab my own out of stainless.......

BUt it is much more efficient for charging my group 27's, versus that paltry 12 charger on the generator or the $450 cost for a great high amerage charger.

my total cost for the alternator, engine, and dodge coupler will be less than than 500, and I am trying for 2/3 the size of the EU1000.

I suspect the only way to get it quieter tho is to go with waterheater option that recovers waste heat. That damping (no pun intended) mass would be very helpful.