Torsion Bar Suspension

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Neo
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Torsion Bar Suspension

Post by Neo »

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what's inside the Torsion Bar Suspension units fitted to the Macgregor Aluminum Trailers?
Are the bars plain steel and a do they rust or break over time? ..... Or anything else that goes wrong with these units?

Thanks gents.
Neo
Russ
Admiral

Re: Torsion Bar Suspension

Post by Russ »

I've always thought they were rubber inside. But I could be wrong.

--Russ
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Thanks Russ that makes sense.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

It still makes me wonder. Can that center square rod rust? Maybe the whole thing is full of grease or something to keep out corrosion.

Good question. Can it rust? As far as I can tell, nobody on this forum has had a problem.

I'd love to hear opinions from the smart guys.

--Russ
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

The caps over the ends of the axle beam are rusting on mine. They may serve to hold the axle and torsion rubber in the axle beam. Don’t know about the condition of the beam itself, but I’m sure it will eventually rust out - and probably like the tongue beam - from the inside out. :|
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Speaking of this - if i wanted to change my old axle and springs on my original steel S trailer to these, would it work?
:) :idea:
Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

It's a bit of work but can be done.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDv4o83T4cg
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

A good idea turning the frame upside down but I'd personally rather have things welded and fabricate custom fit brackets than use all those nuts and bolts and off the shelf brackets like that.
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

vizwhiz wrote:Speaking of this - if i wanted to change my old axle and springs on my original steel S trailer to these, would it work?
:) :idea:
I don't see why not. Should give a much softer ride, including when the trailer is empty, as they have a progressive spring rate - soft when lightly loaded, stiffening as more load is added. Unlike 'normal' leaf springs, which have a fixed rate. Normal meaning all the leaves are always in contact.

I would just be careful that the axle cross bar doesn't foul with the hull. The M trailer has a straight cross bar and I believe the hull actually rests on it, but they're available with drop centers, too. Some of them at least can also be indexed for ride height, making it easy to adjust to the existing fenders or tire/hull clearance.
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

Thanks Tomfoolery... the axle tube is rusted badly and i was going to replace it eventually anyway. So I’m figuring out my options... the spindles and bearings seem to be fine, it’s mostly just rust consuming my trailer...
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

vizwhiz wrote:Thanks Tomfoolery... the axle tube is rusted badly and i was going to replace it eventually anyway. So I’m figuring out my options... the spindles and bearings seem to be fine, it’s mostly just rust consuming my trailer...
If the trailer is rusting away and you'd rather not put too much money into it, a replacement axle for your existing leaf springs is almost certainly cheaper. Just a tube with spindles and brake flanges. Just have to match the spring center distance, top/bottom spring location, wheel gauge, and axle drop. And of course, load rating and bearing type. Just an axle alone is surprisingly cheap.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Yes Axles are cheap especially if you shop around and buy the tube/bar from a low cost metal supplier. I was shocked how cheap 45mm solid square section bar was. They can cut it to length and you can have new Axle Stubs welded on as a drop Axle. I can give you an axle diagram if you like?