26 classic vs. an X or M?

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

TexasDan40
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Humble, Tx...Mac26X "Alpha Sail" Rigged on Trailer in Kemah, Tx

Re: 26 classic vs. an X or M?

Post by TexasDan40 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:22 am

Wow, I like that cutter rig.
May be a mod for my :macx: in the coming year.
Te :macx:

Sugar Bear
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Sugar Bear » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:19 pm

:D Looks like a lot of fun. :D This has been a very good discuscion, a lot of very good advice. :macx:

Ric K
Deckhand
Location: San Marcos CA, '02 X, "BUENA SUERTE". 60 HP Mercury

Post by Ric K » Sat Oct 30, 2010 6:05 pm

I owned a 26D for 8 years, rigged it for cruising...Autopilot, GPS, 16 gallon fuel tank, traveller, custom sails and rudder etc.

I've had my '02 :macx: since '04, also highly modified for cruising. The D is a good performing day sailer. The :macx: is a slower sailer by 1 to 1.5 knots depending on point of sail and conditions, however the :macx: is a more comfortable and versatile boat. From Oceanside CA to Catalina is 50 nautical miles powering into the wind it was 8+ hrs in the D compared to 3 hrs 15 min in the :macx: ( I miss the sailing speed of the D for the way back ).

When factoring towing weight for a Mac D or S, allow for the 1200 lbs of ballast weight at the launch ramp that you will have to pull out of the water. The :macx: and :macm: ballast can be emptied before the boat is retrieved. I blew a cluch on my V6 Nissan truck pulling my D out of the water. I still use that old truck to pull my :macx: out othe water, I just wait for high tide and pray. :|