Cushion Covers

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
Papaspence
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Cushion Covers

Post by Papaspence »

Hello All,
I just got my very first sailboat, a MacGregor 25 and am happy as a clam! I am going to be asking you folks a lot of questions over time, so please be patient with me. I'm cleaning it up and getting it ready while I'm training and learning to sail. I need to know 3 things today, please.
1. I dropped off the cover to one of my galley cushions at my dry cleaner. He said that the vinyl on the back may crack in the cleaning process. I told him that my choice was to try cleaning it or by new covers, so I signed the waiver. How do you normally clean these covers?

2. Where do you recommend that I buy new covers, if I need to?

3. The previous owner said that he would put a new cable on the keel if he were me. Where do I get one of them?
Thank you all.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: Cushion Covers

Post by Catigale »

Welcome aboard...!! Newest member buys the pizza....

Softopper may be able to make cushions for your boat but they would need a lot of orders to make this appen

I believe Blue Water yachts has parts for the older boats...see resources above.

Where will you be sailing? Update your profile ...you might some one locally can help out!!
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

As Catigale said, Blue Water Yachts may be your best bet at getting parts. As for cushions, If you can't find a source, you can make a template* of your seating area and take it to an upholster. If you are going to use the existing fillers, then just take them to the upholster. Vinyl works (cheap $) , but using Sunbrella ($$) is much better. It won't get hot. You will never stick to it. Water beads right off. It will never crack. The drawback is it cost much more than vinyl, but worth it to me for the comfort, looks, and durability.

Ray

*If you don't have a roll of brown paper to trace your seating area, tape together a whole bunch of brown paper shopping bags. Place the template on the seating area and trace the seating area with a pencil. This is what I did. It worked, and the upholster had no problem making the cushion.
Papaspence

Post by Papaspence »

Hold the anchovies, I'm on my way. Thanks a lot gentlemen, I'm taking a sailing course in September and taking the CSG courses between now and then. I'll be late getting into the water this summer, but, hopefully will sail long into the colder weather.
I am now investigating "single person rigging" and mast raising systems. Any thoughts would be deeply appreciated.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

You should investigate the mast raising system that is stock on the new 26M. You can purchase the entire system for $150, and it's fairly easy to adapt to older boats. It works extremely well, and is probably about as simple and effective as any system could be.

For single handing, you might want to search the posts on leading halyards aft to the cockpit, and consider adding a Raymarine X-5 wheel pilot if you're got $1500 to blow on it. Or wait for forum member vkmaynard's $600 autopilot to become available.
Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac »

Vinyl should not be an issue for your drycleaner unless the covers are already damaged. If they say it is problematic, you may want to check with another cleaner. I just had the covers for the berth cushions cleaned on my X and they came out beautifully. The seat cushions I decided to re-do myself. I found the foam and sunbrella fabric on sale 1/2 off at our local craft store and bought 10 yards. Sailors should know how to sew imho so if you don't start hitting the garage sales and find an old, all metal, heavy sewing machine built in the 50s-60s for $25 and then take a sewing 101 class at your local craft store. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. Plus you will have a custom interior to your liking instead of the factory cookie cutter version. I'll post some photos in a couple of weeks when I get her done. Only 3 cushions left to go! It also keeps my hands busy while waiting for the horrendous heat to break LOL.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Your sewing comments put me in stitches :P :D :o

Ray
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Cape May area? Very pretty place.

Water will stay pretty warm through fall
Papaspence

Post by Papaspence »

Thanks everyone for the wonderful advise. I am going in search of the mast lowering device. I understand there is a dealer up at Greenwood Lake, NJ. I'll give him a call tomorrow. I will also pickup the dining seat back cover from the cleaner tomorrow evening and see how I made out. If that doesn't work, I'll have to buy a cast iron thimbull (I do like to keep all of my digits unventilated :) ). I see that there are some very interesting auto pilot devices that will keep and eye on the rudder while I handle the sheets. I see that they are available new and used and I'll look hard at them. You guys are great and I appreciate all of your advice!
I can't wait to get in the waters off Cape May, but I'll have to wait a little while. I really am going to have to learn how to sail first (go figure), but I'll be there in the spring, for sure. :D

Stephen
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

Best thing to do with a Mac 25 for autopilot is to put on a very inexpensive tiller pilot, either the SIMRAD TP10 or the RayMarine S1000+. Both are $440 new, and cheaper used on Ebay. Very simple install, easy to use, and they'll hold a course very well.
Papaspence

Cushion Covers

Post by Papaspence »

1st cover came back unscathed and the rest, from the V-berth back will go in tomorrow. Thank you Azzarac.

Mastreb, I am on the case of the mast raising system from the 26M. I saw it in the options list, but just didn't have time to call today. Work is really starting to get in the way. Ya' know?
Also, I'm on the trail of a member who has a newly rebuilt S1000 for $225 that sounds like the ticket. I'll keep you posted and thanks for the tips.

Stephen
TSWEST

Post by TSWEST »

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm a relatively new 26X owner and wanting to clean my blue interior cushion covers (cloth on one side, vinyl on the other). It sounds like a good option is machine washing these, but I'm wondering how the vinyl will hold up in a washing. Any guidance or experience would be appreciated.
marcopolo173
Deckhand

Post by marcopolo173 »

I had no issues in the washing machine, cold gentle cycle.