Neglect your boat and this is what happens

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.
taime1
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Neglect your boat and this is what happens

Post by taime1 »

Last evening the admiral and I gave the inside a pretty good washing, just bleach and no vinegar this time. It came out ok, there are a bunch of spots that didn't come out as well as large rust rings, from having left a galvanised anchor and chain lying around for a few years.

Here are a few shots of the before:

taime1
First Officer

Post by taime1 »

...and a couple of the after...

Jimmyt
Admiral

Post by Jimmyt »

Huge improvement! Boat is cleaning up nicely.
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Is that power wash? I just did one of the schools Harpoons and it came up beautiful
vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz »

More updates taime!!
taime1
First Officer

Post by taime1 »

I powerwashed the outside and just used rags with water and bleach on the inside.

I haven't worked on her too much lately. I did order a few thingd from BWY (rudder line, centerboard line, pop-top hold down hooks), I picked up a nice mainsail cover on ebay for $85 with shipping, and I got the trailer's fender bolt rewelded.

Not sure if I mentioned this, but the boat came with a pretty new Nissan 9.8 long shaft motor. I changed the oils and plugs and it runs nicely. That was an awesome surprise because it wasn't listed as part of the deal.

I put the mast up the other day, the standing rigging is quite loose. I don't think I will be able to adjust it sufficiently and may have to either order all new stuff, or get the existing stuff re-fitted, if that's even possible.

The only thing I am a little leary on is the wiring, I haven't gone through it, nor have I connected a battery yet.

Apologies for the lack of updates, it's been hectic. I've got two young boys, so life barely slows down, ever. That said, we've been using the :macm: as the boys night out for 3 straight Fridays where we spend the evening playing card games, or watching a movie or going fishing, and while we've used the Mac on a number of family vacations now, this alone time has been something very special.

They do ask me how come they only get one juice I get four or five beers, but that's another story...

Man, I love these boats.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Is the 100 dollar boat deal? That Nissan is worth about 3k new!!

Well done!

Tell Justin to fund NRC for a bunch of lasers and I'll make the trip up to Ottawa to help with. The wiring on the company dime.
My Mistress
Chief Steward

Post by My Mistress »

taime1 wrote: Not sure if I mentioned this, but the boat came with a pretty new Nissan 9.8 long shaft motor. I changed the oils and plugs and it runs nicely. That was an awesome surprise because it wasn't listed as part of the deal.

The only thing I am a little leery on is the wiring, I haven't gone through it, nor have I connected a battery yet.
Good deal on the motor! That was worth the price itself.
If I may be so bold, but you should have used Simple Green for your cleaning. It's non-toxic and does a great job on fibreglass. I cleaned "Mistress" inside and out using Simple Green and water.

I know where you're coming from on the wiring. I was aghast at all the different types of wires running every which way, and most weren't even hooked into the system. One evening, while contemplating what I was going to do with the galley light, I broke out a VOM and started identifying active circuits and pulling out old or unserviceable wire. Now, I am pretty much done with the re-wiring. 12V is actually pretty simple.
Hint - go with LED lighting throughout.
taime1
First Officer

Post by taime1 »

The motor is quite nice. Here are a couple of pictures. Not sure why Tinypic flipped them on their side...

I do wish it had forward/reverse selection on the tiller handle, but I can't really complain. I hacen't hooked it up to a battery, but it appears to have electric start and charging, which is nice.

I do have one engine-related fix to do. I need to figure out what sort of cover I should put on the hole from the laz to the engine well that is used for the fuel line:

I think I can just get a larger clam type cover and that should keep the water out. The PO has a small one, loosely attached only at the top, but I didn't like it.
vizwhiz
Admiral

Post by vizwhiz »

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale »

taime1 wrote:The motor is quite nice. Here are a couple of pictures. Not sure why Tinypic flipped them on their side...

I do wish it had forward/reverse selection on the tiller handle, but I can't really complain. I hacen't hooked it up to a battery, but it appears to have electric start and charging, which is nice.

I do have one engine-related fix to do. I need to figure out what sort of cover I should put on the hole from the laz to the engine well that is used for the fuel line:

I think I can just get a larger clam type cover and that should keep the water out. The PO has a small one, loosely attached only at the top, but I didn't like it.

That's a clone of our kicker motor. I'm expert in three things on this..

1. Replacing broken gear shift from a drop

B. Replacing stripped final drive gear from hitting steel cable on Cape

III. Dunking this motor 3 times in fresh or salt water and recovering.....ok, 4 times