Size and type of water tank

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Ricard_M
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Size and type of water tank

Post by Ricard_M » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:08 am

Hey guys,

What is the size of the water tanks you use?

I was planning to install a Plastimo triangular soft tank in the bow berth, but unfortunately they only make triangular shaped tanks with a capacity of 120 liters and I am afraid it might be too much weight for the boat (26S). I also have the option to buy a Lalizas 70 liters soft tank, but I am not sure about the quality of this product, especially when compared to the Plastimo.........

So what do you guys think? Should I go with the 120 liters in the V-Berth or risk with the 70 liters Lalizas?

Azzarac
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Re: Size and type of water tank

Post by Azzarac » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:13 am

We have a combined 35 gallon capacity for fresh water (25/10) using a fixed poly tank under the V-berth and 10 gal bladder under the aft dinette bench. http://svchameleon.weebly.com/pressuriz ... stems.html
I don't think we would notice the additional 120 pounds up front in the :macx: but I'm not sure about the S models.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:19 am

BOAT has posted that he believes a tank such as Plastimo’s is a nursery for organic life. Maybe he will repost about his beliefs? (HINT, HINT)

Ray

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:48 am

We have six 4 gallon containers under the V-berth for 24 gallons there. They fit and are light enough for this old man to move around. We use them to fill ....

... a 7 gallon that is connected to the sink and there is also another 7 gallon next to it.

We usually pump from the one 7 gallon to the other with a small 12v pump and fill from the 4 gallon containers by either pumping or taking them out and pouring into the 7 gallon.

I'd considered the flexible tanks but decided against one for various reasons. The main being that we like to take these out at the end of a trip and rinse them out with Clorox water and that would of been hard with the flexible tank. Also if one of these develops a problem then we can just replace it. The last reason was that there is still room on top of and beside the 4 gallon tanks for us to pack other items in there with no fear of hurting the containers. We replaced a bad large tank on the Endeavour that went bad with four 20 gallon tanks for some of the same reasons. On a longer trip don't like having all our water in only one tank.

This has worked very well for us and I'd do it over again. Here is a link to the 4 gallon install ....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... -16-a.html

and a link to the 7 gallon install....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... ide-8.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

I went around the horn with water storage because of the inside hot water shower install I did in 'boat' and there are two very good methods and you should select based on how you sail your boat.

One thing I would never do is use flexible tanks for water if you ever plan to drink the water. The flexible tanks grow stuff that can muck up the plumbing.

The easiest (to use, not install) and most convenient is the hard plastic tank in the forward V berth - several people have converted the flotation in the forward V berth to water storage because when the tank is empty it provides the same flotation at the Styrofoam. Most folks use an electric pump for that - and that one will require a fill head on deck and a lot of plumbing - but if your a slipped boat it's a good way to go. All the boat tank people make tanks for the forward V berth for all kinds of boats including MACS.

The fill head on deck is a total pain if your sailing to a lot of different anchorages with no slips and using a shore boat or dingy to go ashore - (in other words - if your Mr. Sumner). Also, if you travel out in the oceans for long distances it's recommended to break up the water supply because all in one tank can get contaminated and you can die if your too far out at sea. The Sumner method is the best if your hard core sailing way out there type like he is because you always have back up water even if you lose a tank or two.

I settled on the same method that Mr. Sumner uses except I use 2-1/2 gallon tanks instead of 4 gallon tanks because I can't lift as much as Mr. Sumner and my dingy is only a small inflatable kayak so I break up the water in 2.5 gallon containers because 2.5 gallons is the capacity of my water heater and just right amount of water for two hot water showers, (for me and the wife).

The main reason for the portable tank method is because it's a way to transport water on the dingy or shore boat. I can carry 3 or 4 empties to shore, fill them and come back on the dingy or shore boat.

I keep my water tanks right next to the bottom of the dagger board trunk so they are just added ballast until I use the water.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:02 pm

Boat made a good point about being able to take the containers ashore if needed. On longer trips I/we have had to do just that. In the Bahamas I was able to get free water at two places, but there was no way I could of taken the Mac to the water. I was able to load 4-5 four gallon containers into the dinghy and take them to the water so that worked well.

We have a total of 43 gallons in the containers forward and also have another couple containers stored in the aft berth so can go a little over a month for the two of us and I could go about 2 months solo. On our recent trip with the Endeavour we used a little under 2 gallons a day for drinking, washing, cooking and cleaning dishes. We are very frugal on water usage and don't use an electric pump on either boat to keep the usage to a minimum,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:32 pm

Ricard_M wrote:Hey guys,

What is the size of the water tanks you use?

I was planning to install a Plastimo triangular soft tank in the bow berth, but unfortunately they only make triangular shaped tanks with a capacity of 120 liters and I am afraid it might be too much weight for the boat (26S). I also have the option to buy a Lalizas 70 liters soft tank, but I am not sure about the quality of this product, especially when compared to the Plastimo.........

So what do you guys think? Should I go with the 120 liters in the V-Berth or risk with the 70 liters Lalizas?

Put in the Plastimo 120L tank and only fill it with as much as you need. It doesn't have to be full.

I use a Plastimo 100L flexible rectangular tank located in the bilge under the galley of my X, but probably never put more than 50L in there.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:43 pm

I've had boats with permanent tanks. They are nice on larger boats and you can store lots of water. However, they have negatives.
With our boats, weight and space is limited.
So I've opted for portable Coleman plastic jugs similar to Sumner's setup.

I've opened up the valve on top of the jug and shoved a tube down that sticks out to draw water from the bottom. This is ready to be attached to the boat's water supply. Another larger tube then attaches over this one to my pressure water pump. I'm amazed at how well it draws almost all the water out.

There is enough slop that no venting is needed. This has worked flawlessly for us for years and nothing spills.

The advantages are:
I can carry my own water supply to the boat from known potable supplies (my house). I've seen some wicked looking water at marinas.
I can rinse the jugs out with bleach at the end/start of the season to sanitize them.
It's cheap and easy.

They fit nicely under the v-berth and add extra weight up there. 10 gallons is plenty if we are not wasteful. Theoretically, I could add more jugs but never have needed to.

--Russ

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Tue May 01, 2018 4:43 am

I am a minimalist. The PO put a plastic 5 gallon water tank in the galley with a manual pump. I carry 2 liter bottles of drinking water. The manual water system helps save water and works just fine. No wasted water or electricity.

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 am

Baha wrote:I am a minimalist. The PO put a plastic 5 gallon water tank in the galley with a manual pump. I carry 2 liter bottles of drinking water. The manual water system helps save water and works just fine. No wasted water or electricity.
That's the setup we had at first, and it works for certain situations. But not to get three kids' and two adults' teeth brushed, dishes done, and hands washed twice a day! Pressurized water is an easy mod, under $300, and one of our favorites which suits our situation very well.

I used this:
https://www.blyacht.com/en/seaflo-compa ... combo.html at $77 CDN
and this: http://www.boathouse.ca/plastimo-fexibl ... 2420180339 at $146 CDN
and this: http://www.entrepotmarinemart.com/en/wa ... lon-sflcw1at $15 CDN
and about $60 in wires, fuseholder, and hoses. The most expensive extras were the the fittings to change the pipe diameters from the pump and deckfill to match the Plastimo tank. Of course they were four (or five, can't remember) different diameters.

In the near future I'll order another faucet and a T-fitting off the supply line of the pump and put pressure water in the head so that teeth-brushing can be done in there, freeing up valuable counter-space.

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Tue May 01, 2018 9:38 am

I have a Plastimo 13 gallon water tank under the forward settee. Yes, it is not used for drinking but washing. It is connected to an electric water pump to the sink in the galley, head and transom shower. I remove the tank once a year and clean it at home. I also add small parts of Chorine tablets every couple of fills. Drinking water is a refillable 2.5 water container with a spigot that makes it easy for the kids to refill their water bottles.

tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:52 am

I have the triangular tank under the v-berth and I love it. If you are concerned about weight then don't fill it all the way up. I was initially concerned that when mine was completely full it would be too tall and hit whatever screws are poking through the access panel but there seems to be plenty of room.
Since my boat was stern heavy, putting the tank up there has made it sail better. I'm just aware that handling is slightly affected as the tank is emptied.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Tue May 01, 2018 11:11 am

One other item I forgot to mention :cry: . With the multiple tanks that I have I can use them to trim the boat in the water side to side and fore/aft to some degree depending on which ones I take water from.

Do some of you that have one larger tank notice any difference in how the boat heels as the water goes to one side of the tank or the other while heeling?

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Tue May 01, 2018 11:34 am

One other item I forgot to mention :cry: . With the multiple tanks that I have I can use them to trim the boat in the water side to side and fore/aft to some degree depending on which ones I take water from.

Do some of you that have one larger tank notice any difference in how the boat heels as the water goes to one side of the tank or the other while heeling?

Sumner
Not much because I use the smaller cans:

https://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item. ... emid=35803

I try to buy all my plastic needs from Mr. Tam's company - I have used them for many many years.

I just can't seem to handle the big 4 gallon jobs in my little inflatable kayak - they make the kayak feel like it's gonna get a hole when the tank is placed in the bottom! I can spread out about 4 of the tanks above along the bottom of my little kayak without stretching the bottom so far it scares me. :? The rounded corners are easy on the rubber bottom of the dingy too.

Here in SoCal it's mostly island hopping and water is always something you can go ashore and squirt a few gallons into these cans. Out in the Bermuda Triangle where Mr. Sumner sails I think bigger tanks and a better dingy would be a good idea! :|

The tanks I use fit inside the galley just like the old flexible tank - so I use the stock pump that came with 'boat'. I just changed the hose that feeds the pump faucet with a hose that fits my tanks - when a tank is empty I just yank it out and put a new full tank from under the dinette where the daggerboard is and slide the full tank into the galley. It's really easy and quick - for just the wife and I we only need to change tanks after several days. For the shower I just put one 2.5 gallon tank into the shower heater and thats enough hot water for 2 showers and a day of dish and hand washing.

The small tanks do not make a real big difference on the balance of the boat - I suppose if you were moving big tanks it might make a slight difference.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Tue May 01, 2018 1:18 pm

I found the original factory stuff a joke.

That plastic collapsible container seems to leak easily and bounce around the cabinet. I had trouble priming the manual pump. The plastic hose seemed to collapse on me.

I know pressure water is supposed to waste water. I haven't found that to be the case.
1) I can't wash my hands if I have to pump. Maybe I'm just a klutz.
2) I can modulate the flow from the tap to a small trickle to wash my hands.

With 2 5gal jugs I can switch to a fresh tank and know we are 50% out of water. The extra weight in the bow helps balance the aft heavy boat.
The whole setup was super cheap and simple. Bar sink from Lowes fits nicely.