Size and type of water tank

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Size and type of water tank

Post by BOAT » Tue May 01, 2018 1:30 pm

We had a lot of experience with the clumsiness of hand pumps from our slide in truck camper days from long long ago - it is impossible to wash your hands.

We solved that problem on 'boat' with the hot water tank - it's pressurized - the hot water tank is installed in the galley and it stays hot all day and does not lose pressure so when you want to wash your hands you just push the button on the sprayer and the hot water comes out and washed your hands.

On my RV I have electric pumps and a hot water heater that is plumbed into the system and it does wast a lot of water waiting for the hat water to get from the heater to the faucet. Having the hot water heater right in the galley under pressure makes the whole thing a lot more efficient and does not waste so much water.

Having an electric pump is okay - if your at a slip a lot it's the way to go. I don't use the electric pump because most of our stops are moorings away from slips or services so I need to keep things simple.

Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha » Wed May 02, 2018 7:06 am

And this is again another example of what makes our Macs great boats. You can rig it up as a family-centered fully-featured cruiser, or just leave it minimalist. I most often am out alone, and so keep everything as basic as I can. I do have a wheel pilot, nicknames "Crash" for it's love of pointing right toward things to run into. If I didn't need to tie the GPS from my chart plotter into the VHF, I would get rid of it and just use Navionics on my phone. I can't afford the fancy wiresless connection that is available these days. Depth gauge, compass...no log, no wind instrument. I even took the Windex down to try to rely on reading the water and the wind....I have reluctantly decided to put one back on the mast.

Manual water, no extra outlets, one dc power outlet.

and...manual water pump.. :)

I think the only mains-powered electronics I really need is the depth gauge...you would not believe how shallow everything gets in the rivers here (East Coast UK) when the tide goes out. I would only use my handheld VHF if it had the range I feel comfortable with.

Anyway, I think it is great that we all customize these boats as we like....and share those ideas here.

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed May 02, 2018 8:39 am

tlgibson97 wrote:If you are concerned about weight then don't fill it all the way up.
There ya go. I have a 7 or 8 gallon hard tank on the port side, which tends to be the heavy side with the two batts there also, and I only fill it about half way. And I have an electric pump. But it's marina based, and on the rare occasion the admiral sleeps on the boat, it's at a dock, so water is never a problem. But having said that, I only add water a couple of times in a season, so I guess I'm stingy with water use. Probably comes from growing up with well water. :D

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed May 02, 2018 3:13 pm

Baha wrote:And this is again another example of what makes our Macs great boats. You can rig it up as a family-centered fully-featured cruiser, or just leave it minimalist. I most often am out alone, and so keep everything as basic as I can. I do have a wheel pilot, nicknames "Crash" for it's love of pointing right toward things to run into. If I didn't need to tie the GPS from my chart plotter into the VHF, I would get rid of it and just use Navionics on my phone. I can't afford the fancy wiresless connection that is available these days. Depth gauge, compass...no log, no wind instrument. I even took the Windex down to try to rely on reading the water and the wind....I have reluctantly decided to put one back on the mast.

Manual water, no extra outlets, one dc power outlet.

and...manual water pump.. :)

I think the only mains-powered electronics I really need is the depth gauge...you would not believe how shallow everything gets in the rivers here (East Coast UK) when the tide goes out. I would only use my handheld VHF if it had the range I feel comfortable with.

Anyway, I think it is great that we all customize these boats as we like....and share those ideas here.
That is all well and good, but what kind of armament do you have on board in case the Vikings decide to reinvade? :P

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Wed May 02, 2018 4:58 pm

We have no plans on invading the UK at this time.

Excatman
Just Enlisted

Post by Excatman » Wed May 02, 2018 5:57 pm

My X came with plumbed in pressure water with interchangeable 50 and 150 litre plastimo bladders under the forward dinette seat. The PO said he swapped out the 50 for the 150 if he was going on a longer trip - dunno why, when you can keep the 150 in it permanently and just not fill it as much - anyway...

...this setup works really well for our family of three and we easily get 7-10 days usage if we are careful with it, ie turning the tap on only minimally, not fully open, washing your hands and the dishes in sea water, etc. We also carry several 10 litre containers as a back up, which I can take to shore and use to refill the tank if need be.

I don't notice any real difference in handling or sailing ability whether full or empty and havent noticed any growth in the tank, although I do throw in some water purifying tabs when I remember, which isn't often.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Thu May 03, 2018 5:17 am

I just pulled our 40L Plastmo tank out after we tried to use it for the first time since owning the boat only to find I couldn't get water into it.

When I pulled it out it was dead empty and the side were actually stuck together with CRUD :x

Anyway I forced some water and vinegar into and let it soak for a couple of hours then hosed it our, which somewhat improved the situation, then got a old batten and wrapped a rag around the end and gave it a scrub, followed by inserting the high pressure washer, then a soak with bleach.

It took a couple of days all up but came out as good as new, so will be installing it back in over winter.

We have a electric pump on the galley sink and the hand pump on the head sink, I replaced the original electric pump that we inherited from the PO, like most things it didn't work and it was less than $20 to buy a new one anyway.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Fri May 04, 2018 11:51 am

Best part about those tanks is that they turn your water blue. :P :P

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu May 24, 2018 4:11 pm

RussMT wrote:I found the original factory stuff a joke.

That plastic collapsible container seems to leak easily and bounce around the cabinet. I had trouble priming the manual pump. The plastic hose seemed to collapse on me.

I know pressure water is supposed to waste water. I haven't found that to be the case.
1) I can't wash my hands if I have to pump. Maybe I'm just a klutz.
2) I can modulate the flow from the tap to a small trickle to wash my hands.

With 2 5gal jugs I can switch to a fresh tank and know we are 50% out of water. The extra weight in the bow helps balance the aft heavy boat.
The whole setup was super cheap and simple. Bar sink from Lowes fits nicely.
Russ
What size of bar sink did u use from lowes ?

J 8)

Jonair222
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by Jonair222 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:57 pm

Mounted under the cockpit TUB. Shortened Wand. Excellent Value
https://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-1 ... -9583.html