26S Radio Installation

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

26S Radio Installation

Post by Tedd » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm planning a radio installation in my 26S and have a few questions.

I have in mind to mount the radio in the opening of the floatation chamber above the sink. It would mean rearranging the blocks inside the floatation chamber, but it looks like I can fit it in without actually removing any blocks. Has anyone else done this? It seems like a convenient location but, not having had a radio before, I don't know what's convenient and what's not.

I'm also planning to mount the antenna near the top of the mast. I figure if its on a rotating mount about two feet below the top of the mast then I'll be able to reach it from the cockpit when the mast is down, to rotate it forward (so that I can lash it to the mast, for towing.) I'm also interested if anyone else has done this, or any thoughts people have on this approach.

Finally, I'm wondering about routing the antenna cable into the cabin. It seems straightforward to run the cable down through the inside of the mast. But the connection at the bottom I'm not too clear on. It would be really cool if I could have a bulkhead fitting right under the foot of the mast, through the deck plate. But that might be getting too fancy. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the extra effort?

Sumner
Admiral

Re: 26S Radio Installation

Post by Sumner » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Radio Info here and I was able to keep the foam by cutting and re-positioning it. Info here ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-25.html

I have the antenna at the top and it works fine there. Info on all of that and the wiring here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-42.html

.... and here.....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-41.html

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:19 am

Tedd wrote:I'm also planning to mount the antenna near the top of the mast. I figure if its on a rotating mount about two feet below the top of the mast then I'll be able to reach it from the cockpit when the mast is down, to rotate it forward (so that I can lash it to the mast, for towing.) I'm also interested if anyone else has done this, or any thoughts people have on this approach.
I would mount it at the top, not lower down so it's partially shadowed by the mast. It's only 3 ft long to start with, assuming a 3dB whip. Mine is at the top on a rotating mount, and I can rotate it 180 for tarping in the winter and transport by just rolling the mast 2 ft further ahead so I can reach it, do what I need to do, then roll it back and pin it at the bow rail.

The coax enters and exits the mast through a plain hole at each end, drilled on an angle. That's it. No chafe since I got the boat, and the PO did the work, so I don't know how long it's been that way, but I'm sure it was a while. If it chafes too badly, I'll toss it and replace it with new. I'd rather not have a larger hole with for a grommet, which would also deteriorate in the weather.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 am

Some pics:

I've partially cleaned up the mess in the following, including the addition of a Starboard mast cap that also holds the anchor light and windex base.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:13 am

Curious as to why you guys feel the antenna needs to be rotated around?

Ours just sticks out the back in the yard or going down the road. The picture above was taken with the mast down on the trailer. I do put that little bungee cord around the windex when stored and trailering so that it doesn't spin going down the road.

I did make a sunbrella cover for the mast and the rigging that protects it at home and on the road but ....

...the antenna and windex still stick out below it at the back,

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:38 am

Sumner wrote:Curious as to why you guys feel the antenna needs to be rotated around?
Actually, I don't. The boat came that way. Since it's there, I fold it for tarping, so I can tarp right over the end. But I don't usually bother for trailering, nor do I take the Windex off (but I do for tarping - only takes a minute to put it back on).

Tedd
Deckhand

Post by Tedd » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:49 pm

Thanks to everyone for the great replies, that's all a huge help. I like the idea of angling the hole where the cable exits the mast.

Sumner:

Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about flipping the antenna around. But the only place I can park the boat is right in front of my garage and I need to get it as far back as possible to leave room for the cars in front. The top of the mast is only about a foot from the front wall of the garage.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:14 pm

Tedd wrote:...Sumner: Ordinarily, I wouldn't worry about flipping the antenna around. But the only place I can park the boat is right in front of my garage and I need to get it as far back as possible to leave room for the cars in front. The top of the mast is only about a foot from the front wall of the garage.
Makes sense.. :)

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

Tedd
Deckhand

Post by Tedd » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:31 pm

I now have the radio mounted inside the cabin and have nearly finished the antenna mount at the top of the mast. But I'm still not sure how I'm going to run the cable into the cabin. What have other people done?

My original idea was to put a bulkhead connector through the roof of the cabin right under the mast, so that the connection would actually be hidden inside the mast when it's raised. But it appears that the bulkhead that supports the mast will be in the way, so I'm looking for an alternate solution. If I put a bulkhead connector through the roof just aft of the mast fitting (a few inches) then it'll go right into the space where the radio mounts, which would make a pretty tidy solution. I'd bring the cable out near the bottom of the mast, on the aft side, and use a right-angle connector to keep the profile low. Any thoughts on that?

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:44 pm

Tedd wrote:I now have the radio mounted inside the cabin and have nearly finished the antenna mount at the top of the mast. But I'm still not sure how I'm going to run the cable into the cabin. What have other people done?

My original idea was to put a bulkhead connector through the roof of the cabin right under the mast, so that the connection would actually be hidden inside the mast when it's raised. But it appears that the bulkhead that supports the mast will be in the way, so I'm looking for an alternate solution. If I put a bulkhead connector through the roof just aft of the mast fitting (a few inches) then it'll go right into the space where the radio mounts, which would make a pretty tidy solution. I'd bring the cable out near the bottom of the mast, on the aft side, and use a right-angle connector to keep the profile low. Any thoughts on that?
http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner ... de-42.html

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

Tedd
Deckhand

Post by Tedd » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:09 am

Thanks, Sumner. That's very similar to what I had in mind, except that I was planning to pierce the deck on the center line, just aft of the mast. What was the advantage of putting it beside the mast? Another difference is that I was going to put a bulkhead connector through the deck, with a connector on either side, rather than run the cable through the deck. I know that adds another connection, but I thought it would make a cleaner installation.

Sumner
Admiral

Post by Sumner » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 am

Tedd wrote:Thanks, Sumner. That's very similar to what I had in mind, except that I was planning to pierce the deck on the center line, just aft of the mast. What was the advantage of putting it beside the mast? Another difference is that I was going to put a bulkhead connector through the deck, with a connector on either side, rather than run the cable through the deck. I know that adds another connection, but I thought it would make a cleaner installation.

The unused previous plug from a former owner was already there. I didn't use a bulkhead connector since I found the fitting I did use and it is water tight. I've never had a problem with it. What you have planned would probably work just fine also.

I have had problems with the contacts in the 4 prong plug not always working well the last time we used the boat, but that is after some years and a lot of days on the water. Probably need to replace both the male and female sides.

Sumner

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Mac-Venture Links

Jonair222
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by Jonair222 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:15 pm

WHEN YOU RUN THE CABLE UP THE MAST:
PUT A WHOLE PACK OF ZIP TIES SPACED ABOUT 6" APART
DO NOT CLIP THEM

STOPS THE CABLE FROM SWINGING AROUND AND MAKING ANNOYING NOISE

Tedd
Deckhand

Post by Tedd » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:59 am

Jonair222:

That is a really interesting idea! I was going to custom make some Y-shaped pieces out of thin PVC sheet and place them every so often along the cable, but your tie wrap idea is much simpler!

Tedd