Mac25 Upwind

A forum for discussing topics relating to older MacGregor/Venture sailboats.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Heath_Mod

fritz3000g
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Mac25 Upwind

Post by fritz3000g » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:19 am

Thanks Sailboat Mike.

The roller reefing certainly has its weaknesses. At the moment replacing it isn't my first priority (getting a working motor is). I can always reef down smaller than I'd otherwise do if the sail bellies out. The fact that the leech is thinner than the luff means that it does tend to spill air somewhat since the luff wraps more thickly and so grabs more sail at the front than the back.

Ever since I installed lifeline netting (I have a four year old), folks have been much less uncomfortable getting up on the cabin roof. It might be psychological, but it feels so much safer up front now. For that reason it actually isn't too bad to reef after a blow has started if I have crew I trust.

What you say about apparent wind makes sense. I hadn't thought of the fact that you have to turn off more as you go faster, but that makes sense. Basically lift a function of forward speed and leeway, is what I hear you saying.

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:50 am

Some good videos on apparent wind on youtube and how it affects you track

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... +true+wind

fritz3000g
Chief Steward

Post by fritz3000g » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:53 am

Here's a good explanation of all of this:
http://www.catamaranvega.com/vega/saili ... son11.html

Just learned that the scows which race on Lake Mendota have asymmetrical daggerboards on each side. You swap them on each tack. Learning so much!

Sisu
Chief Steward

Post by Sisu » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 am

What's even weirder about scows, not sure if you already read this, is that the boards and the rudders are at a substantial angle relative to the centerline. Since the boards/rudders function best when straight up and down in the water, that means you must always sail a scow with a ton of heel, even in light air! As a dinghy racer, this went against everything I was taught when I sailed a scow for the first time!

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:41 pm

Life is learning, not only from others but learning what works for you