BWY Disc Brake Kit

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

BWY Disc Brake Kit

Post by Tedd »

I started overhauling the brakes on my 1995 26S trailer today. And I discovered the Blue Water Yachts disc brake kit.

<http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/9608-1v4.htm>

This looks like a good option for a bunch of reasons, especially considering that if I stick with the drums I'll be spending money on shoes, wheel cylinders, and a bunch of springs and fasteners. Thoughts? Has anyone here installed them?

Tedd
Banner_IV
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: BWY Disc Brake Kit

Post by Banner_IV »

Nice upgrade, I guess it all depends on how many miles you intend to travel and price difference from stock replacement parts. You will also have to rewire tow vehicle and trailer to pick up the reverse light power feed to the backup solenoid if you can't pin the hitch brake cylinder, I also see the option(on another site) for a ball valve instead of the solenoid (would work better for me as I disconnect the lights before splashing the trailer). If the trailer is a 95 these will probably outlast the rest of the trailer. :)
Tedd
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Tedd »

Thanks, I hadn't noticed the ball valve option. Although, I was thinking of rewiring to a six-pin connector anyway. But it's nice to know the ball valve option exists.

Tedd
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Tomfoolery »

Don't forget that disc brake master cylinders are different than that for drum brakes. Drum brakes hold a residual pressure, while disc brakes are vented completely when the brakes are released. BWY offers a cylinder for retrofit, but it's much cheaper than the full-on replacement cylinder, and I don't know why. Best to call them and ask.

http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/9713-1v0.htm
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

I had Todd install disc brakes on our trailer when it was new, in 2002. They are definitely better than drum brakes, especially if you dip your trailer in salt water. It's virtually impossible to adequately rinse drum brakes after launching in saltwater. The disc brakes are much more open, and can be rinsed off more effectively.
kurz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by kurz »

If you really want do rinse your drum brake scew out a whell bolt and rinse it.

I never used disc brakes in saltwater. But I use drum brakes (AlKo EU) and slip ones a year (1 in/1 out) in saltwater since 2012. Never rinse the sistem, later a slip in the lake... autorinsing...

Interesting: I never had a problem with the brakes so far. After 6 years I renewed the brake linings. And 1 brake cable... Happy so far...
I don't think disc brakes could be better...