New tow beast time

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Hamin' X, kmclemore, Paul S, beene, Catigale

Wind Chime
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Re: New tow beast time

Post by Wind Chime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Or screw it - and just get this rig ....

http://youtu.be/32kK7lQZSks

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 pm

I prefered the one being pulled out - with the staff on board. :)
Wind Chime wrote:Or screw it - and just get this rig ....

http://youtu.be/32kK7lQZSks

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:10 am

Liked my old tow beast quite a bit - a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Problem was, it was starting to develop (a Jeep problem) serious rust issues at 233,000 miles. Shame too, because everything worked fine. :(

New (to me) tow beast (2007 GL450) has a 7,500 lbs. tow capacity and three rows of seats. :)

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons ... tic-page-6
RussMT wrote:Time to shop for a new tow beast.

I'm thinking of a family car/tow vehicle.
Any suggestions.

On the list

Chevy Suburban/Tahoe
Ford Expedition
Toyota Sequoia

Must be 4WD.

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:28 am

Lows: Brake feels like stepping on a rotten peach...
:?

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:41 am

Brakes? We don' need no stinkin' brakes man... :P
K9Kampers wrote:
Lows: Brake feels like stepping on a rotten peach...
:?

Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:38 am

dlandersson wrote:Liked my old tow beast quite a bit - a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Problem was, it was starting to develop (a Jeep problem) serious rust issues at 233,000 miles. Shame too, because everything worked fine. :(

New (to me) tow beast (2007 GL450) has a 7,500 lbs. tow capacity and three rows of seats. :)

Nice. Looks like a great all around beast.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:39 am

Like many of us, it's not just a tow beast (although it does tow nicely). Kids and friends really like the 3 rows of full size seats. :D

In inclement weather (water and snow) it handles very well. In off-road mode, it actually raises up a few inches (rear, then front). :|

Some of the higher tech things take some getting used to/figuring out. :P
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:Liked my old tow beast quite a bit - a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Problem was, it was starting to develop (a Jeep problem) serious rust issues at 233,000 miles. Shame too, because everything worked fine. :(

Nice. Looks like a great all around beast.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:44 pm

dlandersson wrote:Like many of us, it's not just a tow beast (although it does tow nicely). Kids and friends really like the 3 rows of full size seats. :D

In inclement weather (water and snow) it handles very well. In off-road mode, it actually raises up a few inches (rear, then front). :|

Some of the higher tech things take some getting used to/figuring out. :P
Yup, that's my thought. I have my old '98 Dodge truck for towing, but I don't drive it.
99% of the time you are schlepping the kids around or dealing with snow, so this makes a lot of sense. Why not have a comfortable beast.

Actually, I towed our boat up to the lake with our Highlander instead of the truck. We drive this car 99.5% of the time and it was nice to tow the boat in a car that is comfy.

--Russ

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:08 pm

We needed a new family car three years ago and I knew that I was going to by an :macx: (just bought it in May). So I started looking for something that got good fuel economy and could tow at least 5000 lbs. I wound up with a 2006 ML500. It has a 300+ hp V8 and if we're careful we can get just over 19 MPG. Not bad for a $22k vehicle. If you are considering buying one of these, be careful about the front differential. When they go out you can't rebuild them, you have to buy the whole unit. Something about a bearing that only Mercedes can get. Luckily for me we bought the extended warranty and it only cost me the deductible.

Jeff

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:30 pm

I suspect it was you and people like you that got me headed in this direction. The Benzes (and some others) also have a very nice "sway control" when towing. My extended (endurance) warranty forbids 3rd party moditifactions. :( Yours?
C Buchs wrote:We needed a new family car three years ago and I knew that I was going to by an :macx: (just bought it in May). So I started looking for something that got good fuel economy and could tow at least 5000 lbs. I wound up with a 2006 ML500. It has a 300+ hp V8 and if we're careful we can get just over 19 MPG. Not bad for a $22k vehicle. If you are considering buying one of these, be careful about the front differential. When they go out you can't rebuild them, you have to buy the whole unit. Something about a bearing that only Mercedes can get. Luckily for me we bought the extended warranty and it only cost me the deductible.

Jeff

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:59 am

I'm sure there was something in the contact about modifications, but I never checked. The only thing I had to add was the tow package. I was thinking of going aftermarket when I bought it, but after looking closer I found the rating was lower and I couldn't get one that worked with the air suspension that mine has. The Benz hitch wasn't cheap ($750 mechanical I installed, $400 new computer for everything in the back, $150 programming at the dealer), but it is a really nice unit and it tows awesome, even with the short wheel base. My only complaint is that it automatically goes into tow mode when you hook up trailer lights. This is great for towing the boat and other big stuff, but it kills my fuel economy when I'm pulling my light utility trailer empty.

Jeff

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:36 pm

Yeah, I looked and looked at aftermarket, but nearly all of them were rated for 3,500 lbs. I didn't like that, and the "3rd party" thingy in the extended warranty pretty much pushed me into into the OEM tow package. Cost was much the same. :(
C Buchs wrote:I'm sure there was something in the contact about modifications, but I never checked. The only thing I had to add was the tow package. I was thinking of going aftermarket when I bought it, but after looking closer I found the rating was lower and I couldn't get one that worked with the air suspension that mine has. The Benz hitch wasn't cheap ($750 mechanical I installed, $400 new computer for everything in the back, $150 programming at the dealer), but it is a really nice unit and it tows awesome, even with the short wheel base. My only complaint is that it automatically goes into tow mode when you hook up trailer lights. This is great for towing the boat and other big stuff, but it kills my fuel economy when I'm pulling my light utility trailer empty.

Jeff

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:27 pm

dlandersson wrote:Yeah, I looked and looked at aftermarket, but nearly all of them were rated for 3,500 lbs. I didn't like that, and the "3rd party" thingy in the extended warranty pretty much pushed me into into the OEM tow package. Cost was much the same. :(
Toyota dealer wanted $850 for their hitch install on my Highlander.

Went to etrailer. $172 plus $25 wiring kit. Did it myself with a torque wrench. Super easy 4 bolts. Wiring was super easy snap in existing module. Forget the dealer prices.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:58 pm

RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:Yeah, I looked and looked at aftermarket, but nearly all of them were rated for 3,500 lbs. I didn't like that, and the "3rd party" thingy in the extended warranty pretty much pushed me into into the OEM tow package. Cost was much the same. :(

Went to etrailer. $172 plus $25 wiring kit. Did it myself with a torque wrench. Super easy 4 bolts. Wiring was super easy snap in existing module. Forget the dealer prices.
I've always installed my own hitches. I've had good luck with the Curt Manufacturing brand. For the Benz the aftermarket hitches all attach to the bottom of the stamped steel frame (right where my air tanks for the air suspension are). The Benz hitch replaces the rear bumper and has nice looking forged rods that go inside of the frame. It's easy to see why it has a higher rating. In this case, I got what I paid for.

Jeff

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:32 pm

Quite a few 3rd party hitches top out at 3,500 lbs. for particular brands. So whatever one does, don't just assume a Class III hitch is what you want. There's a range for Class III hitches. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXK9PtfU0vY
C Buchs wrote:
RussMT wrote:

I've always installed my own hitches. I've had good luck with the Curt Manufacturing brand. For the Benz the aftermarket hitches all attach to the bottom of the stamped steel frame (right where my air tanks for the air suspension are). The Benz hitch replaces the rear bumper and has nice looking forged rods that go inside of the frame. It's easy to see why it has a higher rating. In this case, I got what I paid for.

Jeff