New tow beast time

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: beene, Hamin' X, tangentair, kmclemore, Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod

1st Sail
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New tow beast time

Post by 1st Sail » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:12 pm

I pull my M with a Yukon XL, OEM tow package, OEM self leveling shocks. Very comfortable to drive. Great interstate machine next to no sway in a cross wind and when passing trucks. I just get real seasick when I look at the cost of replacing it sometime in the future.
IIRC the rule is the hitch to trailer axle distance should not be more than 150% of the tow beast wheel base for best/safest towing performance. Local hauls I think anything rated for the weight would suffice. For open road comfort behind the wheel heavy and long wheel base for the best handling.

dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Fire extinguisher - New tow beast time

Post by dlandersson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:13 am

I have/had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee tow beat. 1998 was the only year was a 5.9 liter engine was available. Serious tow beast. Had 234,315 miles on it, did not get used much, but it was a nice winter vehicle, handled snow like nobody's business. It was (I thought) in good shape, people were tryin to buy it all the time. No visible rust.

The morning I got in to run an errand, noticed a gassy smell, rolled down the windows. Engine overheated and caught fire. Really glad I had a small fire extinguisher (never expected to need it). Beast had a full tank of gas. It's one of those things that you never need - until you really need it. Strongly recommend everyone have one. :)
RussMT wrote:Time to shop for a new tow beast.

I'm thinking of a family car/tow vehicle.
Any suggestions.

On the list

Chevy Suburban/Tahoe
Ford Expedition
Toyota Sequoia

Must be 4WD.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:52 am

I forgot to close this loop.
Catigale wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:Just did my first long trip in the Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel. Just short of 800 miles. It was quite comfy, though the driver seat was a little hard. But oddly, my back didn't hurt when I stopped and got out like it always did in the Highlander. Usually, I walk like Walter Brennan in 'The Real McCoys' when I stop after 4 hours or so, but not this time. Could just be coincidence, and time will tell.

Very stable on the highway, with slower steering than the Highlander when going straight, which is a good thing at highway speeds. Softer ride than either 4Runner I used to have, but a little firmer than the Highlander. Much firmer than our Odyssey. None of which is surprising, of course.

Visibility was fine. Controls were easy enough to use when trying to keep attention on the road. The cruise control buttons under the right thumb are nowhere as easy to use (or even find) as the stubby stalk on the right side of the wheel (attached to the wheel) that all Toyotas use.

The louder (than gas) diesel engine was drowned out by highway wind and road noise for the most part, and gone with the radio playing loud enough to be heard. Hill climbing with cruise control didn't even cause a downshift - it just kept going, which is a noticeable departure from most gas engines, though I don't know what the big hemi's would have done.

Mileage eventually hit 32 mpg on the dashboard display on the outbound trip with the trip meter reset when I filled the tank at the start, going east (with prevailing winds) and south (all downhill - look at a globe if you don't believe me :wink: ), so some local driving is included in that. On the way back, it started dropping, eventually showing 28.7 mph for the whole trip, with 30 miles or so of local driving with lots of starts and stops. Highway driving was almost all NYS Thruway, Mass Pike, and I-91 in CT, with a little I-95 thrown in there just because I miss living there so much. :P 65 mph using cruise control, and only a couple of times up to 70 to pass something. On a long trip, I'm in no hurry to save 10 minutes when I'm in it for 7 hours anyway (with a stop or two).

I used 26.8 gallons, and drove 788 miles, for a calculated quotient of 29.4 mpg, though there's bound to be a little error in there, as I filled it until the nozzle tripped, so some variation is bound to happen. But it more or less confirms the on-board fuel mileage readout. It's also a little gratifying that the EPA mileage estimates actually seem a little low (28 mpg highway for the 4x4), whereas in the past they were always very optimistic.

None of which has anything to do with actual towing, but 99% of it's use is without a trailer, so performance, comfort, and mileage are important to me without the boat. I previously reported that it towed the boat well, and I'm curious what sort of mileage it'll get with the Mac in the back. I'll be happy if it gets half what it gets without. :D Assuming there's a MMOR this year, that'll probably be the first long trip with the boat. Hint hint. :wink:

Oh, and the only bits of that instrument cluster that are real are the fuel and temp gauges on the right, and the tach on the left. The whole middle is a screen. The center of the speedo can be set to show many different things, including turn-by-turn when using the nav system, temperatures (oil, trans), maintenance, DEF level, real-time mileage (like a Prius does), and so on. I don't know what it does when the speedo is set to 'digital', as the giant speed numbers take up the whole middle of that area, but I like analog better anyway, so I'll probably never know. :|
Tom..I'm going to guess you come in at 23.5 mpg at 65 pulling your Mac....
From the MMOR 2015 thread in the Destinations, Clubs, etc. forum this past summer:
Tomfoolery wrote:Image

Averaged 18.5 mpg or so, but cleared the screen when I left to return, so I don't know what the whole trip was. There and back, 350 miles and 9 hours, on 3/4 of a tank of diesel, at highway speeds most of the time. :)
That 18.5 mpg includes local roads, and I can watch the highway mileage drop like a stone once I'm on local roads, or doing the stop-and-go thing at the border crossings, either towing or not. 350 miles in 9 hours averages to 39 mph, and I didn't think to reset the other trip meter to see what highway only mileage would be. But I'm still happy with it.

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:08 am

dlandersson wrote:I have/had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee tow beat. 1998 was the only year was a 5.9 liter engine was available. Serious tow beast. Had 234,315 miles on it, did not get used much, but it was a nice winter vehicle, handled snow like nobody's business. It was (I thought) in good shape, people were tryin to buy it all the time. No visible rust.

The morning I got in to run an errand, noticed a gassy smell, rolled down the windows. Engine overheated and caught fire. Really glad I had a small fire extinguisher (never expected to need it). Beast had a full tank of gas. It's one of those things that you never need - until you really need it. Strongly recommend everyone have one. :)
Wow! Glad you were prepared. I don't have a fire extinguisher in my cars nor have I ever. Hmmmmm...might be a good idea to have one.
So did the fire do a lot of damage?

--Russ

korn_kid_12
Chief Steward

Post by korn_kid_12 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:50 am

I used to have a 5.9 limited, I miss it. It was something special. Jeep was concerned that they had the new bodt style ready to ship 1999 and people wouldn't buy out the last of the old one. So they, put together a special package and in doing so created the fastest suv until they broke that with the srt8.

Jeeps fetch huge money here, sold my 04 gc overland with 97k miles in 2 hours for 8,000. Which incidentally bought me my 26x

Check out the ecoboost Ford's they are finally coming down in price

Moving from a short wheel base jeep to a full size truck is a night and day difference in towing. Makes any distance easily do able. Frankly it's easy to forget it's back there when there isn't wind.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:20 pm

I hope you never need a fire extinguisher. I haven't (as a civvy driver) in 40 years. But when you have smoke and flames (your's or another cars) you REALLY want it. :wink:

Engine wiring is toast. Car is worth perhaps $3500 - so I don't think its worth repairing. Picked up a GL450 this summer (used) because I was sorta expecting the Jeep to (prhaps) have something break. Don't think it's worth fixing. Anyone in the Chicago area need parts? :)

Engine
RussMT wrote:
dlandersson wrote:I have/had a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee tow beat. 1998 was the only year was a 5.9 liter engine was available. Serious tow beast. Had 234,315 miles on it, did not get used much, but it was a nice winter vehicle, handled snow like nobody's business. It was (I thought) in good shape, people were tryin to buy it all the time. No visible rust.

Wow! Glad you were prepared. I don't have a fire extinguisher in my cars nor have I ever. Hmmmmm...might be a good idea to have one.
So did the fire do a lot of damage?

--Russ

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:23 pm

Yeah, I really liked it. Everything worked (until the engine fire). I had new headliner, new battery, new tires, new hood, all in the last two years. It looked nice. No visible rust and parked very nicely for an SUV. :(
korn_kid_12 wrote:I used to have a 5.9 limited, I miss it. It was something special. Jeep was concerned that they had the new bodt style ready to ship 1999 and people wouldn't buy out the last of the old one. So they, put together a special package and in doing so created the fastest suv until they broke that with the srt8.

Jeeps fetch huge money here, sold my 04 gc overland with 97k miles in 2 hours for 8,000. Which incidentally bought me my 26x

Check out the ecoboost Ford's they are finally coming down in price

Moving from a short wheel base jeep to a full size truck is a night and day difference in towing. Makes any distance easily do able. Frankly it's easy to forget it's back there when there isn't wind.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri May 13, 2016 6:10 pm

Best Sedans for Towing :)

https://www.cars.com/articles/best-seda ... 684527342/
RussMT wrote:Time to shop for a new tow beast.

I'm thinking of a family car/tow vehicle.
Any suggestions.

On the list

Chevy Suburban/Tahoe
Ford Expedition
Toyota Sequoia

Must be 4WD.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:48 am

From the Sept 2017 Boating magazine:

Is the maximum tow rating the same as the GVWR?

1. Yes
2. No

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:12 pm

dlandersson wrote:From the Sept 2017 Boating magazine:

Is the maximum tow rating the same as the GVWR?

1. Yes
2. No
No. Max GVWR is the weight of the vehicle, everything in and on it, plus the trailer tongue weight.

Max combination weight rating is the loaded vehicle plus the loaded trailer.

Max tow capacity is max trailer weight, including tongue weight, but the total can't exceed combination weight rating. So if you load up the car with heavy stuff, or fat people, or both, you might have to reduce the trailer weight. In theory.

That's probably why my Jeep Grand Cherokee has a 7400 lb tow rating in the 2WD version, and 7200 lb rating in the 4WD version - extra driveline weight, I'm guessing, with all other things being equal.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:36 am

From the thread on European 26' Trailer Sailors, posted here because it's not about European 26' Trailer Sailors. :wink:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=26586
BOAT wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:By the way, BOAT, did you even get the GC with tow package for a grocery-getter and occasional boat hauler?
We did - it's black so the girls named him Darth Vader - it's the first jeep we have ever owned and we were surprised how many people out there are jeep crazy - we had no idea - some people we met will not drive any other car but a jeep - my first experience with one and all I can say is that it is a lot bigger than I expected and although the inside looks like a car it is defiantly NOT a car. It's more like a Dodge Ram truck - I have no experience with Jeeps - I'm more of a luxury car guy and drive BMW and Mercedes so the Jeep is sort of a jarring change to me but I never drive much and the wife loves it so that's all that counts. I still don't understand why the females love driving vehicles that can smash over the tops of other cars and crush them like a monster trucks. I guess the sierra club guys are not going to allow me to sit with them anymore.
If you want stiff and nervous, try the 4Runner. Or a Dodge pickup or SUV. I've had 2 4Runners, and a Highlander, and the GC, and recently drove a new 4Runner in case I wanted to go back to that. I had forgotten how boxy it was (with larger interior), and truck-like in road manners. With only a 5000 lb tow capacity. The GC, on the other hand, drives much softer and feels more secure on the highway than the 4Runners, and has a much higher tow rating.

I just found it interesting that you found the GC to be jarring. To me, it's like a luxury car that tows. And much smaller inside than the 4Runner or Durango SUV, while actually having the same track, and a longer wheelbase. I decided after a 5 minute test drive that I'm not going back to the 4Runner, especially for long highway trips which I do frequently for work. :|

A new gas powered GC will be picked up this coming Saturday. Have to say goodbye to my diesel GC. Speaking of Darth Vader. :D

New one is white. Think Imperial Stormtroopers.

Or 'Spaceballs'. :P

Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:25 am

Your tow beast looks so small compared to the boat.

Then you get the boat on the water and tyhe boat looks so small.

My son bought a Chevy Duramax and insists on using it to tow the boat. Our Highlander actually does pretty well, but, well, it's not a Duramax.

I think these days what makes a good tow beast is the high tech stuff. Transmissions, antisway, braking etc. The tech on today's cars/trucks is amazing. I remember when you pressed that button on the floor to turn high beams on.

--Russ

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:52 am

RussMT wrote:Your tow beast looks so small compared to the boat.

Then you get the boat on the water and tyhe boat looks so small.

My son bought a Chevy Duramax and insists on using it to tow the boat. Our Highlander actually does pretty well, but, well, it's not a Duramax.

I think these days what makes a good tow beast is the high tech stuff. Transmissions, antisway, braking etc. The tech on today's cars/trucks is amazing. I remember when you pressed that button on the floor to turn high beams on.

--Russ
And drained the water and added 'antifreeze' for the winter, switching back to water in the spring. Now you run 'coolant' all year round. Good times ha ha. :D

I used a Highlander for three seasons to tow the boat. Plenty of power, though I never tried mountains with it. Sort of white-knuckley at highway speeds, though, but perhaps I just didn't have enough tongue weight on it. Steering felt a bit quick for trailer towing, too - very tiny corrections, or it would shimmy about a bit.

It could also be that the hitch ball is further back from the axle on the Highlander than it is on the Jeep. I never checked that, but looking at the pics, it's a possibility.

The Highlander did have the most car-like ride of any tow vehicle I've had, by the way. And has the same 5000 lb tow rating as the 4Runner.

Top: 2012 Highlander with factory tow package (hitch and 4-flat only electrical nicely integrated into the rear bumper)
Bottom: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with factory tow package (hitch and 4-flat plus 7-round RV socket, nicely integrated into the rear bumper)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:11 am

The Jeep looks small compared to the boat BUT the Jeep WEIGHTS TWICE AS MUCH AS THE BOAT!! The Jeep GC is really really heavy. That's WHY it can tow so much - the boat could be doing cartwheels back there but it has no effect at all on the Jeep because the truck is just too dang heavy.

Also,

I did not say that the Jeep was "jarring" - I said the CHANGE from the BMW to the Jeep was "Jarring".

I went from a 740iL that sits about 5 inches off the ground to the Jeep - which from my new point of view makes me feel higher than a helicopter - and the tires are HUGE! - The Jeep drives just fine and it's very quiet and goes very fast around corners and all that stuff but CLEARLY it's an off road vehicle designed to carry a LOT of weight - that's all I am saying.

I'm just not used to this Jeep stuff, it's new to me.