Tow Vehicle: V-8 or V-6?

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Tow Vehicle: V-8 or V-6?

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:Did the guy in the picture try the "Mac Bump"?
Pllffffft. That's funny.

Not sure, but I bet this guy tried it.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

And of course the REAL reason for safety chains.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Yeah, I see your point, the big trucks did not do those guys any good at all, did they. I guess once the nut that holds the steering wheel gets loose nothing can help you.

I don't think i will do the "Mac Bump" anymore, those pictures have scared me.
WASP18
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by WASP18 »

Here's what I use for towing. My GMC Explorer van conversion is a great vehicle to relax in when stopping for a break. Strong V8 engine with tow package.
http://www.explorervan.com/explorer_vans.cfm
kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

BOAT wrote:Okay Russ, you caught me trolling again. GEEZE, can't even have a little fun with the new guy for a while? Now I see the gestapo patrol is here now too so i better watch out. You guys never warn the new guys about me, do you?

Okay okay captain kmclemore, I see your patrolling this block now, I will calm down, (who snitched on me this time?) Russ, you need to stay on top of me or things could get out of hand.
Your sense of self-importance knows no bounds. I'm sorry, but your trolling for reaction just is not that important to me. But so that others here are clear....

....Nobody snitched. ...Nobody is 'patrolling'.

I read all the threads, just as many forum members do. Why? It's simple, really... I like Macs and I enjoy reading the forum. I saw something I wanted to make comment on and I did. (Though I'm sure it was a surprise to you that my comment had absolutely nothing to do with you.)

I will say that I'm not happy being called a 'gestapo'. Sadly, you clearly have no idea what that term really means to those who actually experienced it. For that, I feel sorry for you, for you are obviously clueless. For my wife's parents it was a terrifying experience which shattered their family, and the results of which haunt them, and us, to this day.

I will say this much, Boat. I'm getting really tired of your crap, and frankly if you keep at this I'm just going to ban you. Yeah, go ahead and call me gestapo. You have admitted to trolling this board for sport, and that is not what this board is about, and you've been told that before numerous times. We're about making friends, discussing our common interests and enjoying the occasional banter. It's not about name calling (like gestapo) and it's not about baiting people. And it's not a place to "have a little fun with the new guy" either.

So... let me make this really simple for you, since 'simple' seems to be the only thing you have any hope of understanding.

Troll this board again and you're banned. Period.

You've used up all your second chances. Just one more time is all it will take. Trust me on this. And I'll ban not only your ID but every IP address you ever submitted from. You won't be coming back.

Do we understand each other?
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

I would have responded sooner but we had a power outage over here. Anyways, my endeavor to entertain knows no bounds and often borders on the inappropriate. I get banned from places alot. It's because I am always trying to make a joke. I always try to make a joke ALL THE TIME, so to me it seems like it's just a matter of time before i get booted. Still, I'm going to at least try to last as long as i can before that happens. Some people are funny, and some people THINK they are funny. That pretty much sums up the issue in regards to my writing. I think the way you put it works too.
MacTommy
Chief Steward

Post by MacTommy »

RussMT wrote: I was even more curious, and this tow bar uses 4 total bolts to the car. The diagram of the Bosal bar has 8 total bolts to the car.
So, where are the extra bolts going to? Different chassis?

I got curious too....
The Bosal shall be fastened with 4 bolts to 4 exisiting weldnuts in the "frame profile" on each side for the 2009 model, and also clamping to the original tow rope U-bar in center. I know well, because I mounted the tow bar myself after buying the car second hand some years ago.

These weldnuts are also shown in a video below, where some guy in US explain how to fasten a Class 1 hitch to a 2009 CR-V. In the video, you will see that he only uses 2 bolts on each side, and the material used in the "tow bar" looks like a joke to me, really. In another video below, the same US Company explains about different classes of tow bars. Class 2 seem to typical reach 3500 lbs, about 1600kg? That is what the petrol CR-V are allowed to pull in Europe with the 2.0 engine. Mine is a diesel, and only the diesel is allowed to pull 2000kg.
RussMT wrote: Makes me think the CR-V is a different frame.
First of all ,the CR-V doesn't actually have a traditional frame. It is a self-carrying construction, like most other compact SUV's.
Second, the video underneath shows that the US car also have the same fastening points. They just don't use all of them.
Third, if we compare the Tech sheet for US against Euro, both have the same Width, length, heigth, wheel base, track width, and also about the same weight. Differences in weight can be explained by the tax and toll differences, I guess. In Norway, they use the weight incl all possible fluids and also 75kg universal drivers weight to get as much tax and toll as possible.... :x
RussMT wrote: Just because the tow bar is rated for 3500lbs doesn't mean the car can tow that much.
]
True. But I also have a german built camping caravan like on the Picture underneath. These caravans has an allowed total weight of 1900kg. As you can see from the catalogue Picture, it is allowed to be towed by a BMW 3-series in Europe... Let me tell you, the CR-V is a lot better for pulling than a BMW 3-series. :D I have checked the weigth of my caravan fully loaded, and it was about 2200kg... Still safe and easy to control. The CR-V is a very good car for towing, compared to normal saloons and sedans in Europe.

Very few pickup-trucks in Norway, you know. Remember, we have to pay 3 USD pr liter of petrol, and 2,60 USD pr liter of diesel here in Norway. We are only about 5 million People here in this mountain by the name of Norway, but we are still planning to save the world with our fuel prices, for sure. If I drive 1 hour from home, I will be in Sweden. There I can buy Norwegian petrol for less then home... Makes sense, doesn't it?

Underneath you can see Pictures of the CR-V Euro Version above the US Version. I don't think there should be any major differences. Those are new, I have the previous version.

Here is the video I found with the different classes of tow bars. Seems quite natural for me to mount a Class 2 bar to small SUV's like the CR-V, judging from what the dude is mentioning? Especially when the second video show that the same fastening points are available in the US too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUz9dMyASUw

The video on the link underneath shows the same company mounting a Class 1 hitch to a 2009 CR-V, like mine. I don't understand why the US CR-V only can be delivered With Class 1 hitch, when the US-Version seem to have the same fastening Points available as the Euro CR-V, and they are approved for 2000kg in Europe... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMqAh3m4xbU
The Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2008/0 ... onspiracy/

Hehe, I also found the article above when doing my Research. I think that will explain a lot.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

RussMT wrote:Oh yea, and secure your boat to the trailer.
White hulls are not only faster than blue hulls, but blue cars.

The white blue hull debate is hereby ended.
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

lol. :D
Catigale wrote:
RussMT wrote:Oh yea, and secure your boat to the trailer.
White hulls are not only faster than blue hulls, but blue cars.

The white blue hull debate is hereby ended.
MacTommy
Chief Steward

Post by MacTommy »

Catigale wrote: The white blue hull debate is hereby ended.
I think you got it all wrong.

The dude in the picture is so convinced about the superiority of blue hulls, that he actually decided to tie a blue car to his white keel, hoping to increase speed.
Not really that stupid, looks like he can sell his trailer on top of adding speed to his boat.

:idea:
133bhp
First Officer

Post by 133bhp »

boat - less troll. more buffoon, stopped reading ages ago.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

133bhp wrote:boat - less troll. more buffoon, stopped reading ages ago.
It just shows your smarter than the average bear.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Public Apology to Kevin (kmclemore)

Hey Kevin,

I never in a million years think of you as a "cop" or "police" or any of the horrible things I said - Really, I was only trying to be Mel Brooks, I was not trying to insult you. Thanks for your patience, (and humor!) A blogger mailed me and said that by telling you I "always get banned from the blogs" that I was saying that I was not serious about this site, but that's not the case at all. The troll picture is fitting, I deserve it, and it gives me a great idea. I was only stating something that happens to me all the time. Since I am so lousy at writing I will try to use pictures instead of words in the future. Pictures are way more useful to the other members anyways. I am just no good at trying to convey any irony or sarcasm or humor in my writing. It just never comes out right. I will use pictures in the future instead of words.
Me:

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore »

Apology accepted. Thank you. That being said, I take apologies far more seriously when they are backed up with future actions; otherwise they are nothing but hollow words.

If I were you I'd let Mel Brooks and Don Rickles do their own schtick - they're very good at it and they don't really need your help... and I would strongly suggest that you stop attempting to 'be' either of them. It isn't working.

Oh, and my decision stands.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »