New Trailer Needed -- Help

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

rszobel
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Trailer Needed -- Help

Post by rszobel » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:39 am

I have a 2001 X and have had it in slip for several years (on original trailer over winters). Just purchased tow beast and want to be able to tow next season but original trailer is in bad shape and want to replace. Would like to get dual axle. Are there sources out there for replacement trailer ? I have no idea what to even look for. are there standard trailers that can be purchased as replacements ? any help would be appreciated.

Baerkanu
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: New Trailer Needed -- Help

Post by Baerkanu » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:51 pm

Loadrite has a factory trailer that works well - call them, tell them the boat you have, and they'll be able to choose the right one and set up the bunks appropriately for you.

- Clay

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:19 am

See the consolidated new trailer thread here

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... ew+trailer

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:37 pm

If you buy a loadrite, then email me if you have any questions. I bought the loadrite Elite model, and did the setup myself through trial and error As I am located nowhere near any dealer. The dual axle allows me to transport my McGregor a very long distance for an annual sailing expedition. :)

1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:05 pm

Was Macgregor still building the aluminum trailer or was that outsourced? IIRC the axle assembly etc. was outsourced.

rszobel
Engineer

Post by rszobel » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:47 pm

Phil M wrote:If you buy a loadrite, then email me if you have any questions. I bought the loadrite Elite model, and did the setup myself through trial and error As I am located nowhere near any dealer. The dual axle allows me to transport my McGregor a very long distance for an annual sailing expedition. :)
What model did you buy? Did you have to do a lot of modifications?

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:09 pm

In 2012 I bought the Loadrite LR-AB27T6000102LTB1 MODEL. No, that's not the serial number. :|

Besides adjusting a few things around, I added one roller in the middle of the trailer.
If you actually need exact measurements of what was moved where and by how much, I can do that if you buy a similar model. I managed to calculate a proper tongue weight and adjust for that as well.

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:13 am

Phil M wrote:In 2012 I bought the Loadrite LR-AB27T6000102LTB1 MODEL.
Hey Phil, what did you pay for the trailer as I may be in the market for one before too long.

Gabby_SC
Deckhand

Post by Gabby_SC » Tue Jul 07, 2015 4:57 am

Its been awhile since I talked to this business, but they have built trailers for Macgregors. I believe they were in the $3,700 range http://www.charlestontrailer.com/index.php

Phil M
Captain

Post by Phil M » Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:32 am

cptron wrote:
Phil M wrote:In 2012 I bought the Loadrite LR-AB27T6000102LTB1 MODEL.
Hey Phil, what did you pay for the trailer as I may be in the market for one before too long.
In 2012 the cost was $3670 in American dollars. It seems like nowadays our Canadian $ gets confused with the Greek drachma :?

WASP18
First Officer

Post by WASP18 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 pm

Phil M wrote:In 2012 I bought the Loadrite LR-AB27T6000102LTB1 MODEL. No, that's not the serial number. :|

Besides adjusting a few things around, I added one roller in the middle of the trailer.
If you actually need exact measurements of what was moved where and by how much, I can do that if you buy a similar model. I managed to calculate a proper tongue weight and adjust for that as well.
Here's another testimonial to the same Loadrite model.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/in ... ?view=1499

rszobel
Engineer

Post by rszobel » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:56 pm

I see that the trailer has longitudinal bunks as opposed to transverse as is the case with the original trailer. I've heard that this can cause deformation of the hull. Have you had any such issues??

Also what specific mods did you do to trailer as you mentioned and also what did you do to insure correct tongue weight??

bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:33 pm

Rod at Charleston trailer is great and they have some kind of computer program that allows them to set it up for everyboat made .ive sold boats to 2 Canadians that he pre set up and they fit like gloves ,3700.00 a piece .

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:49 am

rszobel wrote:I see that the trailer has longitudinal bunks as opposed to transverse as is the case with the original trailer. I've heard that this can cause deformation of the hull. Have you had any such issues??

Also what specific mods did you do to trailer as you mentioned and also what did you do to insure correct tongue weight??
Rumors usually spread by people with no engineering background

You can calculate the load on the hull by estimating the area of contact and dividing by the loaded weight.

It will be well under the deformation point for a Mac hull

The stock trailer rests on a total area of about 4 square feet or 900 psi, rough Swag

rszobel
Engineer

Post by rszobel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 am

understood.

in order to calculate tongue weight how do you go about it ---- I would take total weight and apply at supports (bunks) based on area of each bunk (distribute total weight in accordance with support areas - reasonable assumption) and then apply each individual bunk load at the centroid/center of each bunk, then simply sum moments to determine what the tongue weight would be - is this your approach as well??

With 2 axles that would be an indeterminate structure (not really a problem), however I would simply assume a single axle centered between the two axles in order to calculate an estimate of the tongue weight.

As an engineer that is what i would do in order to determine tongue weight, but if it is not where you want it to be - how would you go about adjusting it - can't really move bunks or axles so what else would one adjust to adjust the tongue weight ?