New owner with basic trailering questions

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

New owner with basic trailering questions

Post by Curwen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:56 am

Hello all,

I am an owner of a new to me 88 Mac 26D. I've read several pages of the towing forums and I'm confused/concerned about two things.

The first thing I'm concerned about is how worried do I need to be about my trailer fishtailing while on the freeway? I plan on having a short tow through my neighborhood to the local marina, but this year the local lake is about feet low and is unusable. So that leaves me with a 45-90 minute tow to one of the other local lakes.

The second question I have is can I leave my outboard motor on while towing? It is a hassle to remove and store the outboard, so I would prefer to leave the outboard motor mounted if possible.

I've owned the boat for a few months and already created a family legend. I got to pull my father-in-law's broken ski boat in with my little 10 horse outboard.

Daniel
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: New owner with basic trailering questions

Post by Daniel » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:00 am

Curwen, in my experience, fish tailing of a trailer is normally due to poor weight distribution. If more weight can be moved forward to increase ball weight, that should help. If you are unable to redistribute the weight, you're going to have to reduce your driving speed. Some short practise runs will be beneficial. Good luck.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:30 am

You need to have typically 10% of the loaded trailer weight (or more) on the hitch ball. Too little will usually result in an unstable trailer/tow beast combo.

It's easy enough to measure, and you can probably guestimate the gross trailer weight (or just use the rated GVWR on the trailer's nameplate), though any certified scale will weigh it for you for a few bucks. If your bathroom scale doesn't go high enough, you can rig a simple system with scrap wood to cut the measured value in half.

There's some discussion in this thread http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 11&t=24367 and also plenty out there in the wild on tongue weight and how to measure it.

Freedom77
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by Freedom77 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:57 am

What Daniel and Tomfoolery said: If you are fishtailing move some weight forward of center. Anchors, reefer, etc. Also, in my 40 years of trailering, never, ever trailer with outboard attached. The hiway bounce is hard on the hull and once again it just adds weight to the stern. Fair winds and Full Sails...Old Salt.

Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:33 pm

Daniel, Tomfoolery, and Freedom77,

Thank you for the clear responses for this new owner.

Curwen

ecossebob
Deckhand

Post by ecossebob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:34 pm

hi Freedom77.

I thought everyone tailored with the OB mounted on the transom. How could you
mount and dismount these large OB at the ramp?.
I understand the motor should be in the tilted up position and locked while tailoring. Am I right?.
By the way how is the water level in Lake Mead?. Thinking of going there later this year.
All the best,
Bob.

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:14 pm

he has a small, 9.9 hpo engine ... I think....

One more thing you should do , that is easy, is fill up your trailer tires, to the max PSI rating. This made a huge difference for me.

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:18 pm

You can generally tow with the outboard on the boat,however, you should put a pic of your mounting arrangement for everyone to base their suggestions on. If you have it mounted on some sort of flimsy retractable bracket, it might be safer to remove it - just don't want to tell you it's ok and have you lose your motor. One other concern I would have towing a distance is making sure that your tires are in good shape and your bearings are good. Pretty cool that you saved the day for the powerboat crew! Well done!

Be Free
Deckhand

Post by Be Free » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:48 pm

Make sure that your boat is all the way forward on your trailer. One time it would give me grief anywhere above 45mph and the next time it would be perfect at 60. I finally realized that if the boat was even an inch back on the trailer it began to get unruly.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:10 am

If you do transport your outboard some way other than on the transom of your boat, check the manual to see if there is a recommended position. Intuitively, my 4 stroke Suzuki kicker looks like it should be laid down on the side opposite of the throttle/tiller, however, the manual warns against laying it down on that side. It should be laid down on the side with the throttle/tiller. This has to do with how oil drains within the motor. If you have a 2 stroke, this may not be an issue, but it's worth checking into.

Curwen
Engineer

Post by Curwen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Hello all,

Thank you for the continued comments on my questions.

Per the additional recommendations:
1) tires are new and filled to max PSI
2) Bearings were checked and greased the day I brought her home. What should the maintenance interval for this check be?
3) Here is a picture of my mounting arrangement. If I continue to leave it mounted, I've seen recommendations to use straps to support using straps and your winches to provide support. Since I'm going to have some work done on the trailer, the other thought is I could make a rack for the outboard to hang off of the tongue. I haven't looked into the logistics of it, but it could help with the tongue weight and fishtailing.

4) Already learned how to perform the "Mac Bump". Two us were able to scoot her forward by pushing on the back, but the bump settled her in just fine. Looking to modify trailer and wondering if I could do a v-shaped plate for the D-ring to settle into so I know she is all the way forward and where she should be. Thoughts on this?

5) thanks for tip on which side should be up if I've dismounted my outboard. I have some oil leaking and I'm going to check the owner's manual for said information.

Thanks again for all the help,

Curwen

Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi Curwen and ecossebob: I only have Honda 7.5 which is not too heavy. See in pic that you have small outboard, unlike M's, X's etc. I just lift it off and set in the back of my van, then hang it on a bracket when I get home. As far as Lake Mead goes it still has plenty of water but is down as far as it has been since it was filled in 1942. Let me know if and when you are coming this way and maybe we can hook up. Freedom is on the hard while I do some TLC and maintenance.
Last edited by Freedom77 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Freedom77
First Officer

Post by Freedom77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:20 pm

Hi Curwen and other YATCHMEN: Story about Mac Bump. Many years ago we were putting Freedom to bed at Marina Del Rey. Usually got up to about 10mph and applied brake and she slid right into place. Fella decided he was going to perform the same maneuver. He got his pickup truck up to about 35 mph and slammed on the brake :? The boat sheered off the bow support on the trailer and the boat ended up in the bed of his pickup :cry:

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Jimmyt » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:32 pm

Looks like you're clamped directly to the transom, so you can definitely tow with the motor in place. You will probably need to tilt it for clearance, so you may want to rig a support for the foot (unless the motor tilt lock is designed for towing). I believe in leaving as much stuff in place as possible to shorten setup time.

My trailer has two years of brackish water duty, with bearing buddies, and the wheel bearings are still running smooth. I plan on pulling them this winter. I have a 12 mile run to the water with a stretch of 50+mph, so failure on a single axle rig could be entertaining. My opinion is you should get 2 years easily between bearing servicing if you keep grease pressure on them. Others on this site have more experience than me, so you'll probably get some other (better) opinions. I'm too much of a chicken to go longer than a couple of years until I have checked them a couple of times. Seems like they're loaded pretty heavily.

I will confess to not having the chestnuts to perform the "Mac bump". I'm going to rework my winch/v-block arrangement to fix the geometry. Meanwhile, I've been towing with a couple of inches gap to the v-block. Still has plenty of tongue weight, and tows steady as a rock. Came 60+ miles home after I bought it at 65-70mph sitting 2+ inches back.

I wasn't clear on whether you experienced trailer wag or were just worried about it. I may have just been lucky, but I've never had a trailer wag if the tongue weight was OK. Like others said above, check your tongue weight. If you can't pick it up, it will probably be ok.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:07 pm

Curwen - a 100 lb outboard on the transmon is fine on the road. You might want to put a line around the gearbox to stop it from bouncing a bit, but you don't need any support for that for highway driving. Im assuming the roads are reasonable and not the outback.

You do want the bow of the boat in the Vee-block - the boat actually makes the boat/trailer combination stiffer and reduces flex - a lot.