Aluminum Trailer

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Signaleer
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Foley, Alabama...2002 26x & 2002 90 HP Mercury Salt Water 2-stroke

Aluminum Trailer

Post by Signaleer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:51 pm

http://panamacity.craigslist.org/bpo/5194597665.html

So, I have been thinking of upgrading my trailer to a new-to-me aluminum trailer.

Now I towed the 26x over 650 miles on the old trailer, but it was fairly intense :) Lots of 'sway', and it just seems really stressed. Its a 2002 trailer, and seems to have only minimal rust, not too bad. At a minimum could use a paint job. Recently, when trying to 'back off' the trailer at a ramp didn't have a very steep incline... I snapped off a 'goal post' :) That, and the fact that simply managing this boat on that trailer 'seems' hard... is it time for an upgrade?

If so, would this do it? What type of specs (length etc.) would I be looking for?

Ed.

Calin
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Aluminum Trailer

Post by Calin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Hello Signaleer,
I know what you mean. I drove my 1 axle trailer and is is not my best experience. I have a picture I've saved from someone, I can't remember the name, with trailer dimensions. It may help.

There are many posts about trailers and trailer mods. Here an example:

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... 11&t=17532

good luck!

fishstalker7
Engineer

Post by fishstalker7 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:13 pm

I had an aluminum trailer custom built for my 26m. The manufacturer made many 26x trailers previously for a dealer previously listed on this site out of Texas I believe. My 26m caused them to have to develop new templates, but it is a quality trailer (aprx $4500) with submersible led's and nice goalposts. The company was Owen's and Son's out of St Petersburg FL....good people.

I've taken several I95 trips from FL to VA...pulls like a dream...huge improvement over stock trailer (mine was new when I got it)...huge improvement.

Signaleer
First Officer

Post by Signaleer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Thanks all.

I am going to take my stock trailer to a trailer shop locally first I think to see about adding the second axle I think. I know when I get there they are going to tell me that everything needs replaced.

I was trying NOT get have to spend a few K's on a completely new trailer. Looking the used route, but even with a used trailer, I may be where I am now with needing things fixed.

I'll post back my results.

Thanks again.

Ed.

fishstalker7
Engineer

Post by fishstalker7 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:54 pm

Ed,

I sold my "old" stock trailer for $1800...so my new, custom only cost $2700 net...maybe you could sell your trailer...and offset? Just an idea...made my new trailer (knowing I would be going long distance) a sure thing.

David

Signaleer
First Officer

Post by Signaleer » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:04 pm

My trailer is from 2002 (previous owner) and I don't think much maintenance has been done to it. I mean, outside of the goal post I ripped off backing out :) I see some rust bubbles, that I think are superficial (hopefully).

I can't imagine any would pay more than a few hundred for it?

Maybe don't understand how to sell stuff :)

Ed.

fishstalker7
Engineer

Post by fishstalker7 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:19 pm

Could always list it and see...mine was in good shape (garage kept) and was an 09'. I will say from towing the family (and their stuff)...confidence in the trailer is huge....good luck my friend! :)