26M trailer brakes

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Paul S
Site Admin
Sailboat: Other

Re: 26M trailer brakes

Post by Paul S » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:34 am

before fixing your brakes.. take a hard look at the tongue. Search my ID for what is very common (hint tongues rust out) .

The DB35 works fine. usually the boots go before anything. I replaced what I had. The parts are cheap enough.

I would suggest elongating the hole where the brake line exits the tongue....toward the bottom, to allow water OUT of the tongue (reason why they fail) and replace the line with a stainless steel line (available pre-made and not very expensive) .

Check to ensure the actuator actually moves in the tongue... otherwise.. don't waste your effort on replacing the brakes! If they are frozen or sticky, they can lock on and wear out fast (or not apply at all)

Been there. done that. got the tshirt

shrektruck
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by shrektruck » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:48 pm

Wait! You guys have brakes on your trailers?!? WTH?
Lol,
P.O. removed the calipers on mine. Good thing the Yukon brakes are all new and the shrektruck has brakes like throwing out an anchor.
Thinking I'll have to remedy that when I rebuild the trailer. Can I put electric brakes on it? Seems like a much easier solution.

RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:03 am

I understand the main reason for surge brakes instead of electric brakes is the issue that we immerse our brakes in salt water with boat trailers (that and U-Haul rents to anyone that does not have a Ford Explorer). So, the answer is yes, you can fit electric to your trailer but how long will they survive?

Max Entropy
Engineer

Re: 26M trailer brakes - tongue replacement?

Post by Max Entropy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:20 pm

Just replaced the calipers on my 2008 'M' trailer with DB35's only problem being the brass blocks for the banjo bolts only had one brake line fitting aperture, whereas the trailer RH side requires a second aperture to feed the left hand brake. No problem, just re-used old one. HOWEVER, discovered the actuator in the tongue was toast. The tongue itself is made of painted steel, not even galvanized, bolted onto aluminum frame members. Rusty, rusty, rusty in spite of diligent rinsing. Nothing like salt water for returning naked steel to its favourite state of rust. Has anyone replaced the steel tongue assembly on these?