2000 mac single axle trailer spindle replacement

A forum for discussing issues relating to trailers and towing MacGregor sailboats.

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

mcward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

2000 mac single axle trailer spindle replacement

Post by mcward » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:10 pm

hi i had a bearing meltdown and need to replace my spindle ,it is a 3.5 inch drop 3500lb single axle. my machine shop says get the complete assembly to weld on to the 2x3 rectangular axle. where can i buy this asseble it has casting marks on it TB175 AND LFB7 HELP i need to get this repaired so i can get my boat out of the water its starting to freeze up here in canada THANKS MIKE

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: 2000 mac single axle trailer spindle replacement

Post by kmclemore » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:02 pm

Virtually all the parts for your trailer can be purchased from Champion Trailers. (http://www.championtrailers.com) I've purchased things from them and they're a pretty reliable supplier. They have an 800 number and I'm sure they can supply to Canada.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh, and you might actually come out cheaper just buying the whole axle with spindles already welded on... check the prices.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:27 am

kmclemore wrote:Oh, and you might actually come out cheaper just buying the whole axle with spindles already welded on... check the prices.
What he said. And I'll add, it's difficult to align the spindle without jigs or fixturing, and a slightly out spindle may cause the wheels to be toe-in or toe-out, though you could get lucky and only the camber is out a little. If they're fighting each other, you'll wear the bearings and tires faster.

New axles are actually quite cheap to buy. It doesn't have to match exactly (rectangular tube), and can be round with a saddle for the springs, as long as the rise/drop and length is the same. And have the standard backing for brakes. And the right capacity; the original is undersized, IMO, but unless you're willing to replace the hubs/drums/disks and maybe wheels and tires, you're stuck with 3500 lb, as that's all those bearings are rated for.

And being original, it's possible corrosion has taken a fair bit of strength out of it, and you just haven't found out (the hard way) yet.

mcward

Post by mcward » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:47 pm

hi all the trailer is a fresh water rust free with very little use. I just assumed with bearing buddies I should be good to go but I know better and should have had the bearings repacked or replaced this spring. and I think the whole thing did a lot of sitting before I got it.my problem is today that I have the axle out of the trailer and the boat is sitting on a boat lift in the lake in front of my house and the temperature is getting colder at night so I need to do something right away and I thought replacing that side would be the fastest fix. new axles are 2weeks away from the states right now as they have to build them. does anybody know who built this trailer for macgregor to start with.? and I could call them ???? help stock axles aren't the right dimensions.....

kmclemore
Site Admin

Post by kmclemore » Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Did you call Champion?

mcward

Post by mcward » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:31 pm

Went on their site freight and exchange kills the deal and they don't have the matching 3.5 inch drop spindle

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:03 am

Given the time pressure you're under, maybe your best bet is to replace the spindle only at this point. Assemble the hub and bearings, and put the wheel on after tacking the spindle in one spot, and adjust toe-in/out as best they can before welding (pull the hub back off for welding, of course).

There are a few axles out there that are close, like 2x2 tube with the same drop and hub face dims and 3500 lb rating, but spring spacing is different (I get 68" on mine, with 87" out-to-out on the hub face). And at 2x2, the wall thickness is likely greater, and it's not likely to be as strong in that nobody's 26X is actually road legal at 3500 lb unless it's very bare bones.

So maybe weld on a new spindle, and source a whole new axle over the winter. At least it gets your boat out of the water for $35 US plus shop labor and your time. I can't see where a boat mover could haul it and block it on your property for less. Unless someone here has a 26X trailer in your area and can help you haul and block it on stands.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:00 am

Or find the cheapest local axle with matching spring spacing and bearing sizes, and plop it under there and haul the boat for the winter. Find a permanent replacement over the winter. Without the drop, the trailer will just sit a little higher, but that won't stop you from loading the boat, especially if it's being chased by sheets of ice. :wink:

cbridgman

Post by cbridgman » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:48 am

I have a Mac26x with a lot of highway miles on trailer. A few years ago I noticed that both wheels were angled out on bottom due to bent axle. I had local small trailer manufacturer replace stock axle with next larger size - complete assemble and I don't remember details. Cost was $700 and was huge difference for the better. Larger brakes and larger wheels now with radial tires. In Ohio, USA

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 am

Find a nearby mac sailor and move your boat with another trailer, then use jacks to put your boat back on your trailer